University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Lol what makes you say that? :lol:
    I just read the roles of cox and doesn't sound like what I'd be good at
    How long do,you think I've been watching their rowing?
    And what I've been witnessing in this forum and our conversations over pm/email tell me you'll be a very good cox. You have the right attitude and personality.

.......just that you'll need to learn to ride a bike well enough to get to the boat house by 6:00 am at latest three/five times a week (depends on which boat) .....and cycle back to the town for 9 am lecture.......

ReputationRep:
    Why do they ask that? :eek:
    I don't know but the email said it was something to do with placing you in the same tutorial side, whatever they mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    And what I've been witnessing in this forum and our conversations over pm/email tell me you'll be a very good cox. You have the right attitude and personality.

.......just that you'll need to learn to ride a bike well enough to get to the boat house by 6:00 am at latest three/five times a week (depends on which boat) .....and cycle back to the town for 9 am lecture.......
    Coxes are really desired positions so they're quite competitive too. Shame people look at them and think they do nothing.

Yeah the 6am thing is what turned me off rowing, couldn't keep up with it and if you were out the night before, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    It's actually really infuriating how we're not headship anymore lmao. This year's M1 had I think 3 freshers, so a really good year. And I think a couple of M1 are trying for the blue boat this year, so who knows how next year's 1st division is gonna turn out.

Pissing Maggie.
    Pissing Maggie is the eternal theme of Cambridge. In all aspects of life.

Pray to all the gods available so that those M1 boys fail in blue trial!
    Though you also think about how other colleges' boats will be like next year......or actually can't think about it as you will never know until the first race starts......

ReputationRep:
    Edit:
    Caius (the nearest college) has been complaing for years about the level of noise coming from Gardies in the middle of night. They were almost ordered to close once but managed to survive.
    So if you ever use them, make sure you stay quiet, or they won't be there for a long time......
    Bit of internal politics though, as Caius own the premises and lease it to Gardies!

ReputationRep:

Lol uh thanks I guess?
    But yeah that would be a big problem with rowing for me, I'll see.. I want to get involved in some sport but idk which. Maybe climbing... Just cause I got the shoes But team sport would be more fun at uni I'm thinking
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    I don't know but the email said it was something to do with placing you in the same tutorial side, whatever they mean by that?
    That's funny :eek: no idea on that myself though lol

ReputationRep:
    Coxes are really desired positions so they're quite competitive too. Shame people look at them and think they do nothing.

Yeah the 6am thing is what turned me off rowing, couldn't keep up with it and if you were out the night before, good luck.
    Exactly!
    Not so much for regatta (in relative term), but for bumps they are so so crucial.

ReputationRep:
    That's funny :eek: no idea on that myself though lol
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange haha! Are you starting at Cambridge this year?

ReputationRep:
    Pissing Maggie is the eternal theme of Cambridge. In all aspects of life.

Pray to all the gods available so that those M1 boys fail in blue trial!
    Though you also think about how other colleges' boats will be like next year......or actually can't think about it as you will never know until the first race starts......
    Lol somehow we always get good rowers in, we've had headship a lot of times lately, at least the men have.

Yeah should be interesting

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange haha! Are you starting at Cambridge this year?
    Yeah, Christ's but we haven't had that family thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Bit of internal politics though, as Caius own the premises and lease it to Gardies!
    I know....
    But the prime position like that, I think,caius is quite confident they can get a new tenant very easily if Gardies is kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!
    Not so much for regatta (in relative term), but for bumps they are so so crucial.
    Yeah rowing and 9ams followed by a full day; it's just a disaster.

I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Funny that, because they have pizzas named after Trinity and yet no food named after Caius hmm. Tbh can it even be called a privilege to have food at Gardie's named after your college.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah rowing and 9ams followed by a full day; it's just a disaster.

I agree.
    How long did you try?
    Rowed until Lent bumps? Most rowers usually get hooked once they experienced bumps.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Christ's but we haven't had that family thing :lol:
    Well I haven't heard much from Trinity so I have no idea what's going on at the minute haha! What will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    There are a number of different tutors, who are each assigned a group of freshers. Each tutor has their own tutorial side i.e. each tutor and their tutees are labelled side A, B, C, D, E etc. You keep the same tutorial side letter throughout your time at Trinity, and the same tutor, as long as they don't leave/go on sabbatical.

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't heard much from Trinity so I have no idea what's going on at the minute haha! What will you be studying?
    NatSci, you?

ReputationRep:
    How long did you try?
    Rowed until Lent bumps? Most rowers usually get hooked once they experienced bumps.
    Nah didn't even try bumps, which I regret. I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5-5:30 and I preferred going out over rowing the next day tbf. A friend of mine rowed up until lent bumps and she just couldn't keep up after that, she wanted to go out more, which is understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    There are a number of different tutors, who are each assigned a group of freshers. Each tutor has their own tutorial side i.e. each tutor and their tutees are labelled side A, B, C, D, E etc. You keep the same tutorial side letter throughout your time at Trinity, and the same tutor, as long as they don't leave/go on sabbatical.
    Ah that makes sense, thanks! Although I haven't had a family member study at Cambridge before so it didn't really apply to me anyway haha

ReputationRep:
    NatSci, you?
    Engineering! I wouldn't be able to handle those Saturday lectures At least, I don't think engineers have those...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.