There is no evidence for God

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What evidence says there is *no* god?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    It does tell you a lot about my comprehension skills, doesn't it
    You're getting more and more incoherent with every post. It's too early to be drinking, chum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    You're getting more and more incoherent with every post. It's too early to be drinking, chum.
    If you can't figure out what I meant by boldening those two parts of your previous reply, then you really are overestimating your mental capacities. Although I half think you do actually and just replied in this manner because you got nothing proper to reply so you are just starting to troll.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it's still a philosophical argument. Philosophy is not science or mathematics.
    That's not really fair. Atheists always use philosophical arguments to counter the idea of God like the evil and suffering thread david pulled out a few days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    x
    Are you agnostic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    That's not really fair. Atheists always use philosophical arguments to counter the idea of God like the evil and suffering thread david pulled out a few days ago.
    Perhaps.

But if they get to make philosophical arguments to appear to justify God, then one could be allowed to make philosophical arguments the other way, too.

How about this though, are there any ideas in philosophy that do not have critics? How about theorems in mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence that there is no God. So there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faby96)
    Some would argue that after two millennia of there being no evidence at all, that that is at least one piece of evidence that there isn't.

You would have been right if you said there is no proof that there is no God. But alas, you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    Just the desire alone to want is not greed and wanting to hold for ones own consumption something you enjoy is not selfishness.
    I do not believe I said either of those things?

In any case, humans are greedy. They must have been greedy (have an insatiable hunger for power) in order to survive.

Consumption of something, especially in the west, is often selfish. There is a scarcity of resources in the world and there is certainly a more fair and just allocation of these resources than the way that we use them. They are allocated the way that they are because we are innately selfish.

ReputationRep:
    If his entire argument is based on that assumption, wouldn't you say it's pretty vital for him to show it's true?
    I'd say anyone arguing against him or trying to tell me he is wrong should explain themselves as to why he is wrong.

otherwise, Pride has been explaining his position.

What if he deliberately chose an assumption that is impossible to disprove, or at least currently impossible?
    Would that make him correct? Would a person's ability to dispute a claim make that person correct or incorrect?

Then he will do exactly like you just did and say well listen mate there it is, look what I argued, you can't disprove it, so who is the fool now for denying it.
    Except I don't think I said that and I do not feel that way. Just don't like someone starting a debate (which takes at least two) only to stop it by pushing "burden" onto someone else. That's an appeal to ignorance or at least that is how I view it.

But if things are difficult to explain - cool. I've been there. I'm sure many people have. You know something in your head. That ability to describe it may not always be there - so be honest about it.

ReputationRep:
    Some would argue that after two millennia of there being no evidence at all, that that is at least one piece of evidence that there isn't.

You would have been right if you said there is no proof that there is no God. But alas, you didn't.
    in what way does this two millennia work?

At the end of the day it's still a philosophical argument. Philosophy is not science or mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    It's an assumption. It's not on me to prove it wrong. It's on you to prove it correct.

And the arrogance, you didn't get defended by an atheist, an atheist asked for more clarification in my argument, since the state it was in, he didn't understand it. If you continue to read our exchange you will see that we came to an agreement.
    That's actually stupid. Premises are not assumptions! If someone makes an argument, with a conclusion that is logically valid and follows from it's premises, the of course the burden of proof is on him. However, they dont simply assume their premises are true, they provide reasons to support them being true! I thought atheists were supposed to be fore bearers of reason and logic? Shouldn't you at least know what valid arguments are and, heaven forbid, what a premise actually is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermonkey92)
    That's actually stupid. Premises are not assumptions! If someone makes an argument, with a conclusion that is logically valid and follows from it's premises, the of course the burden of proof is on him. However, they dont simply assume their premises are true, they provide reasons to support them being true! I thought atheists were supposed to be fore bearers of reason and logic? Shouldn't you at least know what valid arguments are and, heaven forbid, what a premise actually is?
    Indeed, something I have been trying to tell people for a long time now.

Rather ironic then that you come in here as arrogant as you have, having completely misunderstood the debate up to now.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, something I have been trying to tell people for a long time now.

Rather ironic then that you come in here as arrogant as you have, having completely misunderstood the debate up to now.
    Then perhaps you should read what you write before posting Start with post 402. You wrongly confuse premises as assumptions. Whats ironic is you use modus ponens as an example to show what an assumption is, when in fact there is no assumption!

Edit: i see youve already been dealt with. Dont worry then, lets leave the conversation where it is my assertive but ultimately self defeating friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermonkey92)
    Then perhaps you should read what you write before posting Start with post 402. You wrongly confuse premises as assumptions. Whats ironic is you use modus ponens as an example to show what an assumption is, when in fact there is no assumption!

Edit: i see youve already been dealt with. Dont worry then, lets leave the conversation where it is my assertive but ultimately self defeating friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you ought self reflect a bit more, one day your out of place arrogance is gonna bit you in the ass.

And dealt with? Lulz, by that Dima muppet? You think someone has the same wrong opinion as you makes it a correct one? Good luck with that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdizzle12345)
    What will happen to heretics like me, then?
    Heresy is just another sin like stealing, murder, and bearing false witness. What is sin? Anything that prevents us from standing in the presence of God ,which is, BTW, his whole goal. The mind of man is the culmination of his creation. I personally can't see him creating something so near to his heart, with the very characteristics that will allow it to fail, (choice), and then sentence it to eternal suffering for failing.

Your question was, what will happen to heretics like me, (us). Probably the same thing that will happen to every body else who has the ability to take responsibility for their soul. I think that through living this life, getting old and dying then, at the proper time ,seeing everything the way we were meant to see and understand it ,will,(should ), be enough to straighten us out. If you think about it, knowing you were going to love forever would take a lot of the allure of most sins away. I think.

f your like me, heresy is the least of your problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdizzle12345)
    Urm? Why do you believe that believing in God is a sign of maturity?

A large reason that many people believe in God is to comfort them. The existence of a God allows for a heaven, to see loved one's again, to have an objective moral standard, to have good people be rewarded etc.

Surely the mature thing to do is to accept the harshness of life without needing a God to cling onto for comfort?
    To comfort them??? To hear you talk, people should only fear God. Many do. Why would someone continually worship and devote a large part of their life to if it was so easily explained away with science and logic. That doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on your perception of what is real or not. I'm agnostic and I've been on and off believing in God, since doing philosophy at AS (going on to A2) I seem to want to see more scientific evidence, but that's just me.
    I suppose Aristotle believed in God because of his conclusions he made looking at the evidence in the universe and his idea of the four causes and the uncaused causer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    So why do people still believe in God?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it your business?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faby96)
    There is no evidence that there are no unicorns.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.