The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Ellooo! Just introducing myself but I don't wanna write a big para, too stressy. However if you have questions about me, fire away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Hi. I just wanted to say for those who are back at school already, how are you feeling about you're new timetable (if you haven't received it before Summer break) and how are you feeling. Feel free to share your feeling and vent out on here. #WeAreInItTogether #Determined

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post67341264 - Check out my latest blog post, explains how I'm feeling atm.

Anyways, I hope everyone is all well and good.

- JTran38
    I go back tomorrow but we can access the first week of our timetable online, mine ddoesn't look too bad, apart form double chemistry but last year we had all 3 sciences, maths and R.E on Friday!
    Since we have already taken R.E we get a study period every week which I think will be quite useful

ReputationRep:
    Timetable could be a lot worse... the only thing i really hate is p.e lesson 1 on a thursday morning :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Hi, I'm taking Latin! In the second year, tho, and the board I'm with is CIE; I think you may be taking OCR or something, because CIE specifically doesn't have too much on history, so I'm afraid I can't help you out, there! None the less, feliciter!

I'm doing maths (Edexcel) this year, although I finished the book over summer, so if there's any way in which I could help...
    Yay, another Latin person! There doesn't seem to be many of us... there's only four people in my year taking it at my school,we have the tiniest class ever lol
    Good luck in your Latin too (et gratias tibi!):^_^:

Also what book are you using for Maths? Is it a textbook?

ReputationRep:
    How long study periods do you guys have? I get 2 hours a week (split up obv).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Some Person)
    I want back today, actually. Not really fussed on the changes they've made at our school; our new tutor groups are our Maths sets and we have to do Maths three times a week in tutorial to prepare for our Numeracy exams in November. WJEC has a new spec for Maths and Numeray, and apparently, our papers are really difficult!

Hope you had a good first day back. Asides from the changes, mine was okay. I survived after all, so I know I can pull through until June. Good luck for all your exams this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck for Maths, hope all those extra lessons pay off
    Just hang in there until the end of this year! (that thought is what's getting me through year 11)
    My first day back was pretty good too, most things same as last year. Only bad thing was the awkward year group photo we always have on the first day back! :embarrassed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Are study periods lessons just for revision or something? We don't have that at my school, we have study leave for a few weeks towards the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're lessons where you can do Homework or revision. It's just a classroom with a teacher in it or if it's at the end of the day, you can go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    Good luck for Maths, hope all those extra lessons pay off
    Just hang in there until the end of this year! (that thought is what's getting me through year 11)
    My first day back was pretty good too, most things same as last year. Only bad thing was the awkward year group photo we always have on the first day back! :embarrassed:
    Glad you enjoyed your first day back. I'd hate to have my photo taken every year like that; sounds mega awkward and embarrasing! Thank you by the way. I wish you all the best for Maths too, even though you're on a different exam board. We're all in the same boat, after all, as we're the first to have the new mark scheme.

Enjoy the rest of your week. :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feels weird to hear everyone talk about going back to school when I don't go back till Monday
    I still have to do my holiday homework which I think I'll spend Saturday doing.

Good luck to everyone starting within the next few days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)
    Feels weird to hear everyone talk about going back to school when I don't go back till Monday
    I still have to do my holiday homework which I think I'll spend Saturday doing.

Good luck to everyone starting within the next few days
    I go back thursday and haven't done any homework yet either lol

ReputationRep:
    We don't have free periods, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're lessons where you can do Homework or revision. It's just a classroom with a teacher in it or if it's at the end of the day, you can go home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that sounds amazing, i wish we had those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _b_e_n_)
    Timetable could be a lot worse... the only thing i really hate is p.e lesson 1 on a thursday morning :yawn:
    At least you don't have it Monday P1...(that's what year 11 in my school always has for some reason :cry:)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=67435118

PLEASE CHECK MY LATEST THREAD REGARDING MY RESULTS. THANK YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm flossg and my hobbies are flute, piano, ballet, senior section and watching netflix.
    I'm taking 11 GCSEs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (edexcel iGCSE)
    English Language (edexcel)
    English Literature (edexcel)
    German (AQA iGCSE)
    History (AQA modern)
    Latin (OCR)
    Maths (edexcel)
    Music (edexcel)
    Physics (edexcel iGCSE)
    and i have already taken Statistics (AQA), receiving an A (not sure on my UMS yet, I suspect I'll want a remark!! )
    I feel very unprepared for year 11 (despite it starting tomorrow), but I think that my frees due to having taken Stats a year early will help me. I am dreading learning all the quotes for English, especially because we are halfway through our second book with another to go and half the poems to do as well .
    I do not have a favourite subject, since, despite being pro-active, I absolutely hate school except for seeing my friends.
    I would hopefully like to be an A+E consultant or a makeup artist (probably the latter as a hobby/side hustle)
    Currently, I am thinking about taking 4 A-Levels out of:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology
    Chemistry
    German
    Physics
    Maths
    Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    Yay, another Latin person! There doesn't seem to be many of us... there's only four people in my year taking it at my school,we have the tiniest class ever lol
    Good luck in your Latin too (et gratias tibi!):^_^:

Also what book are you using for Maths? Is it a textbook?
    Haha, my class also has four ppl in it! (But then, it's an online class, so the size numbers only go up to 8 anyway!) I'm using a textbook, yh; I think it's spec A.
    I'm guessing by your username, you're a bit of a music person? Bc I am, too! Do you play any instruments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaad1)
    I go back thursday and haven't done any homework yet either lol
    Same, I have to do loads tomorrow lol, might even have a physics test the first day back :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimball)
    Same, I have to do loads tomorrow lol, might even have a physics test the first day back :/
    I think I've got a controlled assessment and biology test

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm ferozagirl, and I'm taking 12 GSCEs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maths (Edxecel)
    Further Maths (-apparently) (AQA)
    English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Biology (OCR)
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Physics (OCR)
    TP ([I have no idea])
    Music (Edexcel)
    History (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA) (done it for a REALLY long time now)
    Psychology (Edexcel)
    My hobbies are: singing, painting, learning about science (as a whole), watching oriental media (in general - animes, kdramas etc.), playing guitar, learning Korean (and playing language apps), reading, watching netflix (among many, many other things) and talking (as you may notice from the size of this reply)

I'm worried about how I'm going to survive Year 11, and with the grades I want, in particular. Year 10 was a grilling experience for me because I didn't expect it to be so difficult - everyone talks about the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels, but I (somehow) did not see the jump from KS3 to KS4. Being dropped in the deep end so early on, I didn't quite get into the rhythm of things, and kind of drifted around for the majority of the year (drifting/drowning in procrastination) - something I really hope I don't do this year >.< It's gonna be tough, catching up with stuff I fell behind on in Year 10.

Has anyone got any tips/advice on how to not waste time?
    (I have no focus - something I'm pretty sure I'm going to need this year )

I like almost all of my subjects, but I think I've definitely been put off by some of them (being thrown into the deep end, and whatnot), particularly History. It's probably because, somewhere along the way, I deeply confused myself and blew the whole thing out of proportion and my head hurts just thinking about it. I do indeed like school, but I feel a lot more lost than I have in the past. My dream job would probably be something like research in neuroscience, or being a brain surgeon, or a diagnostician, or a psychiatrist, or psychologist (I just really want to study the brain, or go into medicine). That, or become a singer (but I'll probably do that on the side).

In terms of A Levels, I've made a decision on some of my options, but not all:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    FM/Spanish/Music/Psychology/Sociology (-which I've never done)
    I'm just a bit of a mess right now '

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.