Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    But the 'absence of evidence..' argument is legit. Maybe the Egyptian God Thoth magiced the universe into existence. Can I prove it? No. But can i categorically disprove it? No, I can't, no-one can. Look I'm not religious. I'm not 'spiritual'. I have no dog in this race. But to say you know for certainty there is no higher power in the universe, for certain, is an act of faith. You can't know that. It's impossible to know that. Such is the nature of the ineffable. It has to be agnostic, one way or the other, no-one can possibly, ever, know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Determined by what?
    No. The genetic mutations are random. Only those that lead to increased reproductive capacity increase (darker colouring = less likely to be eaten, therefore larger next generation carrying that trait). The ones that decrease reproduction, decrease (lighter colouring, more eaten, fewer offspring carrying that trait)

More of less. It may not necessarily fit its environment better. It may give it some other advantage that allows it to out-reproduce others. Other mutations may be detrimental, many have no effect.

Every time DNA copies itself, there is a chance that a mutation may occur. Less frequently, an external influence can cause mutation - chemical, radiation, and now manipulation.
    I did google "peppered moth" and read that this gentlemen, Kettlewell, has pretty much been trashed as a researcher.
    And your saying that the same random mutations that brought us polio and ALS brought us from nothing to modern behavioral man in under a billion years. All by chance. I wish I had your faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldercon1953)
    I did google "peppered moth" and read that this gentlemen, Kettlewell, has pretty much been trashed as a researcher.
    And your saying that the same random mutations that brought us polio and ALS brought us from nothing to modern behavioral man in under a billion years. All by chance. I wish I had your faith.
    It's not a matter of faith. It is a matter of evidence. It is all there for those who are interested.

And Kettlewell's work "trashed" Really? I'm not surprised that you don't understand evolution if that was the conclusion you drew from the available information! He had one major critic (all the creationist "trashings" use this one source), whose opinions were refuted by later experiment and review by other scientists.

However, I must say that I admire your determination to reject evolution, desoite the conclusive evidence in support of it.

Oh, and BTW, life on earth is 4 billion years old, not under 1 billion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELVsLP)
    When will atheists stop caring about what religious people believe in and get a life?
    Preach XD

Btw the OP is obviously a troll and even if he believes what he's saying there's no need to be so rude

(Original post by TheHasBeen)
    Preach XD

Btw the OP is obviously a troll and even if he believes what he's saying there's no need to be so rude
    The OP was banned, this thread's been dead for nearly a year :rip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    there is no life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.

how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    how do you know?
    The same way you know that a chicken or a cat is not going to live forever after it has died.We are animals just like everything else.

ReputationRep:
    There is NO life after death.
    how do you know?
    You can't force people to believe what you believe!
    have you ever heard of free-will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    The same way you know that a chicken or a cat is not going to live forever after it has died.We are animals just like everything else.
    I don't know you can be certain of that, yes the body will die but we are more than a body. We are mind, body and spirit.

Although the outer part of us is destined to only live around a max of 120 years possibly as some have done, there is much more to a person than their outer shell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I don't know you can be certain of that, yes the body will die but we are more than a body. We are mind, body and spirit.

Although the outer part of us is destined to only live around a max of 120 years possibly as some have done, there is much more to a person than their outer shell.
    Because we are related to every living thing.If you believe in a spirit then you have to believe that either everything has a spirit all the way down to grass and insects or that humans have somehow gained a soul during the course of evolution.Both scenarios are absurd.Nobody has ever proved the existence of a spirit.Its just wishful thinking because humans don't like the idea of death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    Likely such a thing doesn't exist.

Merely responses to stimuli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    Describe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Because we are related to every living thing.If you believe in a spirit then you have to believe that either everything has a spirit all the way down to grass and insects or that humans have somehow gained a soul during the course of evolution.Both scenarios are absurd.Nobody has ever proved the existence of a spirit.Its just wishful thinking because humans don't like the idea of death.
    Why? Those are your thoughts not mine.

I do not have to believe every living thing has a spirit just because they live.

Not all living things have a conscience just because they live, but you and I do and that's the difference. We are not animals.

ReputationRep:
    Mind yo own
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    People who are believe in afterlife would realized that right before they are dying, if they are wrong with it. Death brings always certainty, not life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELVsLP)
    When will atheists stop caring about what religious people believe in and get a life?

When religious people will stop making this world a worse place by indoctrinating people with fictional (not proved) stories and theories creating people that will put religion ahead of everything, and are therefore potentially dangerous to freedom and progress; not referring to current events, talking about every religion in general, christian especially.

Essentially when man will be able to stop being a crybaby and accept death for what it is like every animal do, without making a drama about it and trying to find super natural reasons to give a meaning to their useless life; just enjoy life without asking questions that can't be answered, and do not think to answer them.

CHEERS

ReputationRep:
    There is NO life after death.
    Prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Describe it.

free willnoun
    1. 1.the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.synonyms:volition, independence, self-determination, self-sufficiency, autonomy, spontaneity; More
    adjective
    1. 1.(especially of a donation) voluntary."free-will offerings

ReputationRep:
    can we please not revive this utterly worthless thread
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babsxox)
    can we please not revive this utterly worthless thread
    Looks like we can't. As people won't realize there are humans who believe in afterlife.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.