Vet Student Blogs Watch

J_E_N_N_Y
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
o the joys of pcems.
So i had this dairy farm, the farmer was all like yeah its fine ill ring you with what dates suit me and then see if they suit you in a few weeks time after a few events. so i was like ok thats fine etc. This dairy farm is like half an hour away from me though. all the farms on the database in suffolk (like all 5 of them, of which 2 have shut down) are min half hour from me. So after a few weeks i aint heard nout so decided to give him a ring the other day and he goes o sorry yeah i dont think its that great for you to come this summer actually. so i asked him if he new any other diary farms in suffolk and he gave a number of one slighly nearer me which i didnt know exsisted, i rang them and they are to small but gave me the number of one opposite the public farm i used to work at. i was pretty sure they were to small as well but i rang anyway and yes they are to small, but they gave me the number of one 5 mins down the road in the opposite direction that i had no idea exsisted. so i rang them and the lady took all the details and said she would get her husband to ring back. this was on tuesday. since i need to get paperwork in i ran back today and the guy was like year should be fine, i will work out some dates and get back to you on monday.

i bloodly well hope this one pulls though!
i also need a free range chicken farm, since the one i was going to is being sold cause the farmer died. unfortuate since i had all the paperwork in and everything.
Egglet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, theres gonna be no farms left for future EMSing at this rate! I did EMS last summer at a dairy farm and things were going really well for them (or so it appeared) but 3months later they had sold up
J_E_N_N_Y
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Egglet)
Yep, theres gonna be no farms left for future EMSing at this rate! I did EMS last summer at a dairy farm and things were going really well for them (or so it appeared) but 3months later they had sold up
its a shame realy. one of the farmers said to me "its something the unis need to adress, they expect you all to find 2 weeks on a dairy farm and you cant have more than more person from the same year at one farm, yet they still expect you all to find dairy farms that are more than a small holding"

i really realy hope i get this dairy one though bcus its like a 5min drive which is so ideal.
rupertbear91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the dairy farm i hv done all my work ex and summer jobs on is sellin up in june - im gutted and they have the highest herd health status in the uk which will be lost
Floob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by J_E_N_N_Y)
one of the farmers said to me "its something the unis need to adress, they expect you all to find 2 weeks on a dairy farm and you cant have more than more person from the same year at one farm, yet they still expect you all to find dairy farms that are more than a small holding"
is that just a liverpool thing. I'm hoping to do dairying where a friend of mine has allready done a week and would like to do my intensive (chickens) at the same place as Bex as its just down the road from where we did our lambing.

Hmmm
I've so far got another 4 weeks pc ems planned for this summer, which will bring my total to 8. Then going to try and do a couple of weeks in august so that i practically have 2nd year off.

revision isnt going too well, my sister was up to stay for a few days. She is letting me have the weekend to revise and is coming back to bug me from sunday evening until tuesday afternoon. We were out last night and I got up to do 2 hours before my sister even woke up! Planning to be in the library from about 8 am tomorrow to get as much done as possible
J_E_N_N_Y
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Floob)
is that just a liverpool thing. I'm hoping to do dairying where a friend of mine has allready done a week and would like to do my intensive (chickens) at the same place as Bex as its just down the road from where we did our lambing.

Hmmm
I've so far got another 4 weeks pc ems planned for this summer, which will bring my total to 8. Then going to try and do a couple of weeks in august so that i practically have 2nd year off.

revision isnt going too well, my sister was up to stay for a few days. She is letting me have the weekend to revise and is coming back to bug me from sunday evening until tuesday afternoon. We were out last night and I got up to do 2 hours before my sister even woke up! Planning to be in the library from about 8 am tomorrow to get as much done as possible
yeah we have very structured pcems. up to 10 weeks in first year and a min of 2 weeks in second year.
we have to do our long reports on dairy and horse placements so (2 weeks dairy in one place, 2weeks horses in 2 different types of horse establishment so like one racing yard on livery yard.) Becuase we do our long reports on them we can only have one person per year go to any dairy or horse place, so we cant copy on the long reports.
with the rest of the placements you only do short reports.
With lambing its the only placement your allowed more than more liv vet at the same place at the same time (i did mine with a mate).
with the others (chickens, cats and dogs, pigs, choice) you are allowed to go the same place as someone else but not at the same time.

hopefully i am doing 8 weeks this summer so i will only have 2 weeks to do next year.
ive got booked and signed off pigs (2 weeks), intensive chickens (3 days), horse riding and livery yard (2 weeks (1 week is coming out of choice)).
Then i can do my cats and dogs whenever i want so im setting the dates for that last. hopefully i will get this dairy placement and since my free chicken farmer died i have to unsign myself off for that one and find another.
J_E_N_N_Y
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1 exam down. 3 to go.

and guess what, the uni has had a power cut so the system has to entirly reboot! which means i cant access vital, which is tbh pretty vital for my equine limb revision tomorrow.
Floob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1 down 1 to go!!!
seriously getting scared about the lack of revision ive done for this next exam! Anatomy and physiology. Im generally ok at them, but my sister's been over and ive had a horse to distract me! Right, I am now seriously going to do a major stint of work, pass out on my bed, then do some more tomorrow morning for our exam at 9.30
at least we're done after that (until orals in like 2 weeks time and then till resits in august)
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only 2 exams?! We have 7! And one week has 4 exams on 4 days in a row!
I'm having the worst mood swings with revision - from thinking I know it all, to thinking I know nothing, I hate it!
x_Bex_x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
we have 9 next year, but thats a long way away! woooo freeeeeeedooooom (for at least untill orals) anatomy was a difficult paper, think I've done ok and happy with the others,so its fingers crossed
HannahUVM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
10 days until my next exam but its 30 degrees outside and i couldn't stop myself going to sunbathe in the park instead of revise. now i am roasting, feeling faint and in no mood to revise. whoops!
Egglet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x_Bex_x)
we have 9 next year,
Yeah it was fun!
J_E_N_N_Y
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
exams are over!!!! time to celebrate!!!!
emilyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
exams are over!!!! time to celebrate!!!!
Then why were you sat on here? Go out and get trolleyed
J_E_N_N_Y
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by emilyyy)
Then why were you sat on here? Go out and get trolleyed
i was on a break, i went to the pub post exam then came home to sleep for an hour/go to dinner and then i went out anf got trollyed, successfully i might add. southern comfort=finsished vodka=finished koibenburg=finished. and then i went out! ah twas a good night though. out friday and saat as well of course.

i fell down a hole in garlands though. very unamusing!
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i was on a break, i went to the pub post exam then came home to sleep for an hour/go to dinner and then i went out anf got trollyed, successfully i might add. southern comfort=finsished vodka=finished koibenburg=finished. and then i went out! ah twas a good night though. out friday and saat as well of course.

i fell down a hole in garlands though. very unamusing!
i bet it was amusing for everyone else though
Floob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd rather have had 4 exams than 2 to be honest. It was horrible having to learn everything in 2 subjects for one exam. Would have been nicer to spread them out over 4 exams so we had one for each subject

We now have to stick around to wait and see whether we have orals or resits. Basically if you get 45-50% in the exam you get a pass/fail oral for that subject. If you get below that you need to resit in august. Lists go up just before the orals.
If your matric number isnt on either oral or resit list you've passed!

I've passed all so far. WOOOO
only anatomy left to find out about and i think that was probably my worst exam
Egglet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You havent told them the punchline that we only have to get told at 5.00pm the day before the exam, and you could get an oral at 9.00am. Cheerrrrrss
Floob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes thats true, but they're being nice to us first years just now.
However I feel sorry for you lot... I don't think i want to go to second year, can't i stay in first year forever?
SlipperyWhenWet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try being in final year guys.......I haven't seen Glasgow this sunny in years!!! And we are stuck inside......finals start on friday!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads