Maths Uni Chat Watch

assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
You are a girl and I would call you a rational person. But, yeah you can't blame people like that. Its hard for a male to think what is attractive to girls. But, lol I can't stand contradictory advice. Like go in H and R, its like be a bad boy, then its like be nice. Then, its like personality is improtant, then ten minutes later its not.

Guys are much easier to understand as they go on looks like 90% of the time. Its just girls are confusing as hell, guys are much simpler it would be easier to be gay.
I was saying it was just lame that three different guys had all criticised his body for being 'puny', which, if anything, was TOO muscular. It's like, looking at a picture of your size 6 friend and have three different girls calling her fat. Just, no.
Girls who want a 'bad boy' and who don't care about personality are just ******* stupid. Girls aren't hard to understand, really... I could set up translating services.

(Original post by Edenr)
If you're so poor as to not be able to afford a washboard, and have to resort to using your untoned stomach instead, do you have a washboard stomach? :moon:
If you have a six pack, but use your stomach to carry around a spare tyre, are you fat? :moon:

(Original post by Hathlan)
Oh man I hate not getting obscure references you've 100% ruined my day.
South Park.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hathlan)
Oh man I hate not getting obscure references you've 100% ruined my day.
Many apologies.

(Original post by v-zero)
She's not your buddy, guy.
(Original post by Edenr)
He's not your guy, mate.
I love the internets.
around
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love exclamation marks in the middle of sentences (lo! It was good)
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I wonder if there is a last minute achievement in life. I deserve some award for leaving everything to the last minute. Yeah, to sleep deprivation and stats coursework.

P.S. I hope they won't kick me out for sucking at stats. I should have cheated. This isn't even maths, what a joke. The notes are awful aswell. How am I meant to know how to use bias estimator or how to do a confidence interval on two distribution that are unknown when I don't know the standard deviation of one of the population, thingy. Well, thats all zeroes on student satisfaction.
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wonder if there is a last minute achievement in life. I deserve some award for leaving everything to the last minute. Yeah, to sleep deprivation and stats coursework.

P.S. I hope they won't kick me out for sucking at stats. I should have cheated. This isn't even maths, what a joke. The notes are awful aswell. How am I meant to know how to use bias estimator or how to do a confidence interval on two distribution that are unknown when I don't know the standard deviation of one of the population, thingy. Well, thats all zeroes on student satisfaction.
Least squares approximation? MLE?...

In principle I agree though. Stats is desperately boring unless applied to something about which you care.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Least squares approximation? MLE?...

In principle I agree though. Stats is desperately boring unless applied to something about which you care.
Yeah, I got that now. Something to do with mse.

Just need to do the last question about confidence intervals.

Stats is basically a applied subject. Sort of like the friend that you keep around because he's extremely usefull, but extremely boring.
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sort of like the friend that you keep around because he's extremely useful, but extremely boring.
You have friends like that?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by SimonM)
You have friends like that?
That would be rude if I said yes. But, it was an analogy.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Useful? What dpes that one word entail? How can a friend be useful?
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
Useful? What dpes that one word entail? How can a friend be useful?
Provision of services?
Dadeyemi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Provision of services?
giggety
v-zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dadeyemi)
giggety
I sei wut yew did thaar.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
What does a vector space look like?
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What do you mean by "look"?
jj193
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's quite abstract, apparently.
Spoiler:
Show
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A vector space doesn't "look" like anything, it's just a place where vectors exist...
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Okay, what is a vector and what does a vector look like?

As I'm unclear what a vector is. Its like a point here with an arrow pointing towards it. So its something with magnitude and direction, but then it talks about functions being vector spaces.

Wikipedia doesn't help. As vector means a lot of crazy stuff.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay, what is a vector and what does a vector look like?

As I'm unclear what a vector is. Its like a point here with an arrow pointing towards it. So its something with magnitude and direction, but then it talks about functions being vector spaces.

Wikipedia doesn't help. As vector means a lot of crazy stuff.
You can't "see" a vector. I like to think of it as something that takes you from one point to another, kinda like a mathematical train.

The way I think about vector spaces is as the place in which a certain kind of vector can "live". For example, all vectors of the form (x,y,z) exist within the vector space R^3. No matter which numbers you put in, they will all be in that space. Think of it like a massive fish tank.

Algebraically, a vector space is a set of vectors. This is where the concept of a basis comes in. A basis is the fundamental building block of a vector space. For example, in R^3 you can build any vector v with v1 (1,0,0) + v2(0,1,0) + v3(0,0,1). You can then build your vector space from the set of all of these vectors. Can you see how this describes the entire space?

To all of the purists, I'm sorry if my explanation is too simple or if I've missed the point somewhere. Feel free to correct me if I've actually explained something incorrectly...
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what does a vector look like?

(Original post by Hedgeman49)
You can't "see" a vector. I like to think of it as something that takes you from one point to another, kinda like a mathematical train.

The way I think about vector spaces is as the place in which a certain kind of vector can "live". For example, all vectors of the form (x,y,z) exist within the vector space R^3. No matter which numbers you put in, they will all be in that space. Think of it like a massive fish tank.
Trains in a fish tank? This won't end well. :erm:
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fuc��king vectors, how do they work?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads