Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I LOVE ARSENAL TO BITS BUT I AGREE WITH WHAT MY FRIEND POSTED SOMEWHERE:

"why does every Arsenal transfer take such a ridiculously long time to complete. Its like they are so paranoid about making sure every penny is accounted for that they need weeks to make up their minds and persuade themselves that they are doing the right thing. Its the same way that they lose out on great, proven, Premier League players because they refuse to pay an odd extra 1 or 2 million. They lost out on players like Jagielka and Cahill...and chances are that nothing will come of the potential Fellaini and Williams deals - 2 players who would be perfect for Arsenal. They even lost out on Ronaldo to Man U because they took too long to do the deal.

If you really want a player, go in quick, negotiate hard and sign him up, like Man U, Chelsea and Citeh do. Man U paid £30million for Ferdinand over 11 years ago - it was a ridiculous price for a defender, but can anyone now say that it was a bad deal?"
    Jagielka and Cahill are probably the worst examples you can think of. And we don't need Williams so he is not perfect for us as we have four CBs who are 28/27. Plus we can't afford to take risks like the other clubs can.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE ARSENAL TO BITS BUT I AGREE WITH WHAT MY FRIEND POSTED SOMEWHERE:

"why does every Arsenal transfer take such a ridiculously long time to complete. Its like they are so paranoid about making sure every penny is accounted for that they need weeks to make up their minds and persuade themselves that they are doing the right thing. Its the same way that they lose out on great, proven, Premier League players because they refuse to pay an odd extra 1 or 2 million. They lost out on players like Jagielka and Cahill...and chances are that nothing will come of the potential Fellaini and Williams deals - 2 players who would be perfect for Arsenal. They even lost out on Ronaldo to Man U because they took too long to do the deal.

If you really want a player, go in quick, negotiate hard and sign him up, like Man U, Chelsea and Citeh do. Man U paid £30million for Ferdinand over 11 years ago - it was a ridiculous price for a defender, but can anyone now say that it was a bad deal?"
    Oh gimme a break :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, if Ronaldo came to arsenal he wouldn't be half the player he is now, the only thing I'm confident he would be better at if e came here is passing the ball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    I feel bad for the guy, although arsenal may not be the blame its a shame we bought a player entering his peak fall to pieces when he was a mtach winner and could have been one of the best. If only wenger played him in the center...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would Wenger play him in the centre when there was Fabregas??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    I hate coming on this thread. Get negged for everything.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed :lol: By far the most butt-hurt footy thread on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Wouldn't feel sorry for Arshavin at all. If he really was near depression, he could've reached an agreement to terminate his contract to move elsewhere. Just teaches us that you really shouldn't use a tournament to judge a player.
    Well that, and he was offered a loan to Reading where he would've been given game time. For him to say he was near depression because of not getting game time, if true, there's probably more to it than that. Most professional footballers spend more time on the bench/in the treatment room than on the pitch, and that's something all footballers have to accept, especially at the top clubs where reputation isn't enough to keep you in the first XI. Abou Diaby is probably the only player in the squad who I'd understand being depressed as a result of not being able to play football, and on an unrelated note it's nice to see he's off crutches now.

In Arshavin's case, overexpectation and underachievement both played a role to be honest. Overexpectation in that after a great Euros, becoming Arsenal's biggest ever signing and getting the Russian captaincy boosted his profile dramatically within a year. The general fall from grace after his first season would have been pretty humbling, and he just got stuck in a lull which he never really recovered from. Shame, because he was and is still a talented footballer (the 7-5 he made 3 or 4 assists IIRC). Maybe he'll feel more comfortable in Russia, and I hope he has a good few years of football there before he calls it a day. Although it's hard not to think that his move back has the feel of going with his tail tucked between his legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Lets be honest, if Ronaldo came to arsenal he wouldn't be half the player he is now, the only thing I'm confident he would be better at if e came here is passing the ball
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Wenger is just as good, if not better than Fergie was in terms of developing players. And that's not even a controversial statement, it's a fact. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not Arsenal fans who do it though. Like earlier someone said something like 'I screamed when that went in' in response to the Arshavin Barca goal and got negged for it. Makes no sense.

It is often the pro-Arsenal posts that get negged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Wenger is just as good, if not better than Fergie was in terms of developing players. And that's not even a controversial statement, it's a fact. :confused:
    Honestly if Ronaldo came, he would have ended up like Nani

ReputationRep:
    Lol why though? Wenger is quality at developing players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense criticising Wenger like that. You may have forgot he played a significant part in the development of Henry, Vieira, Pires, RVP, Cesc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megadeath999)
    Well that, and he was offered a loan to Reading where he would've been given game time. For him to say he was near depression because of not getting game time, if true, there's probably more to it than that. Most professional footballers spend more time on the bench/in the treatment room than on the pitch, and that's something all footballers have to accept, especially at the top clubs where reputation isn't enough to keep you in the first XI. Abou Diaby is probably the only player in the squad who I'd understand being depressed as a result of not being able to play football, and on an unrelated note it's nice to see he's off crutches now.

In Arshavin's case, overexpectation and underachievement both played a role to be honest. Overexpectation in that after a great Euros, becoming Arsenal's biggest ever signing and getting the Russian captaincy boosted his profile dramatically within a year. The general fall from grace after his first season would have been pretty humbling, and he just got stuck in a lull which he never really recovered from. Shame, because he was and is still a talented footballer (the 7-5 he made 3 or 4 assists IIRC). Maybe he'll feel more comfortable in Russia, and I hope he has a good few years of football there before he calls it a day. Although it's hard not to think that his move back has the feel of going with his tail tucked between his legs.
    I'm sure the 90 odd grand a week helped ease the "depression"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BallonD'or)
    I'm sure the 90 odd grand a week helped ease the "depression"
    Oh ffs lay off him man. Money can't buy happiness. Do you know why he felt depressed? He was probably homesick. Didn't like the place, he also said he nearly suffered depression, not that he was actually depressed. It happens to many people who get bored of their jobs etc.
    Arshavin also said it was clear he didn't want to stay in england. For all you know he was probably pushing for a move to zenit in january, so a reading loan would have done **** all but make him feel worse in a less vibrant city than london. Plus anyway after he didn't get the move he could have just thought to himself it's a few more months.

These people just complaining must think that footballers are made of steel. They're just like us, human beings. One other thing, how would you have known that arshavin didn't try to terminate his contract? Because someone "reliable" on twitter didn't say it? Get real man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    emotions r running high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Except SAF was better at retaining those players during their peak years and getting the most out of them for Man Utd.

Wenger on the other hand, has developed plenty of players but has struggled to keep them during the players during their peak years in the past 5-10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Except SAF was better at retaining those players during their peak years and getting the most out of them for Man Utd.

Wenger on the other hand, has developed plenty of players but has struggled to keep them during the players during their peak years in the past 5-10 years.
    The players Arsene developed were at a very high standard before they left. Cesc Rvp Henry the list goes on, all were fully developed by Arsene before they left.
    I don't see how Ronaldo, who is both exceptionally gifted and a very hard worker, would somehow have become a dud under Arsene. I don't get it. I'd understand if players came to arsenal with huge potential but left as poor players but this patently doesn't happen. Even someone like Nasri or Clichy; clearly were good not great players and from their time spent elsewhere (despite leaving early in Nasri case) were better under Arsene. Look at hleb. Where is he now? Yet Arsene got the best out of him. Yes there are examples of duds but they are few and far between. Besides everyone has a player underachieve, even SAF. Just look at Diego Forlam before and after United.

Ronaldo became a great player under SAF, he would have been a great player under Arsene Wenger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

I don't think that is Wenger's fault that Arsenal haven't been in the financial position to keep these players during that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    The players Arsene developed were at a very high standard before they left. Cesc Rvp Henry the list goes on, all were fully developed by Arsene before they left.
    I don't see how Ronaldo, who is both exceptionally gifted and a very hard worker, would somehow have become a dud under Arsene. I don't get it. I'd understand if players came to arsenal with huge potential but left as poor players but this patently doesn't happen. Even someone like Nasri or Clichy; clearly were good not great players and from their time spent elsewhere (despite leaving early in Nasri case) were better under Arsene. Look at hleb. Where is he now? Yet Arsene got the best out of him. Yes there are examples of duds but they are few and far between. Besides everyone has a player underachieve, even SAF. Just look at Diego Forlam before and after United.

Ronaldo became a great player under SAF, he would have been a great player under Arsene Wenger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did I question the development of those players? I said that Wenger hasn't, in recent years, been able to retain those developed players and use their abilities throughout the peak of those players for the benefit of Arsenal - instead other clubs have been benefiting from those developed players at their peak (those Arsenal obviously got the financial compensation for it).

Robin Van Persie - sold at 28/29 after having finally overcome his injury problems
    Alex Song - sold at 24
    Gael Clichy - sold at 25
    Cesc Fabregas - sold at 24
    Samir Nasri - sold at 24
    Adebayor - sold at 25
    Kolo Toure - sold at 28
    Mathieu Flamini - ran down contract at 24
    Alexander Hleb - sold at 27
    Thierry Henry - sold at 29
    Ashley Cole - sold at 26

If anything, the list shows how good Wenger is at developing players but shows my point of losing players at their peak age, in most cases after a break through season or two and then going on to play at another club.

You might dispute how well they did at those other clubs or the mitigating circumstances around why the players were sold but the fact remains that Wenger has struggled to retain his best players for some time now.

(Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I don't think that is Wenger's fault that Arsenal haven't been in the financial position to keep these players during that time.
    Well from what I've heard and read of the Arsenal wage structure - all the players are (or were in recent years) roughly rewarded equally - as in players around the same age would all be on 40k rather than being paid relative to their play or how in demand they were. Had Wenger not taken this approach, imo, he would've found it much easier to offload a lot of dud players (e.g. Bendtner, Denilson etc etc) and could've retained some other players with higher salaries (see A.Cole sage for example).

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think it's mainly the WUMs/new posters with no rep.

I get a lot of neg reps from this thread too but a lot of them are worth 0.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.