Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Phalanges)
    In fairness, I'd rather have 50 members in a society that all were interested in it and posted than 300 members that never post.
    The reason they've never posted

1) Unaware of this thread's existence
    2) Lack of Mass PM
    3) Inactive/deadweight from the Review society.

I blame the system. There should be a automated message system and there should be Mass PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah but Inception didn't build that as a twist. What I'm saying is the basic concept of "40 or so year old man, luring a member of the opposite sex in and fabricating a web of lies to support his initial lie" is passed off to people as a shocker?

It's like the throwaway line in Eurotrip.

It's good film on the whole though, I just didn't understand how the 'reality' of it all was such a big shock. Especially in this modern age.

That is though just my opinion on the impact of the twist itself.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you sure you watched the right film? The liar is female.

ReputationRep:
    The reason they've never posted

1) Unaware of this thread's existence
    2) Lack of Mass PM
    3) Inactive/deadweight from the Review society.

I blame the system. There should be a automated message system and there should be Mass PM.
    I was speaking generally. Anything that attracts a lot of members will usually have a core few who are really active and the vast majority playing almost no part. Size isn't necessarily a good measure of success.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you sure you watched the right film? The liar is female.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't think you read right. I said 'concept' - the concept of an older man fabricating a persona on the internet, fabricating lies to back this up for some sort of gain. This concept has been applied in this movie to come across as a 'shock' or 'twist'.

A shock or twist, in my book at least, would be something unexpected. Perhaps something which has had clues embedded within the film in the lead up to the reveal. Not something which is guessed at the start or has become a sort of 'cliche' within society.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't think you read right. I said 'concept' - the concept of an older man fabricating a persona on the internet, fabricating lies to back this up for some sort of gain. This concept has been applied in this movie to come across as a 'shock' or 'twist'.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I disagree. When you think of someone lying on the internet, you think of an old man preying on a young girl.

This film presents a very real face to lying, and makes it human. They're not lying to try and abuse someone, they're lying to escape from reality, to pursue their idea of what life might have been like.

The other strength of the film is that it shows how easy it is to be fooled by something, and the emotional response (watch how he first defends her and is in disbelief, then turns to anger, then turns to pity, then empathy, then sadness).

It is a tremendously powerful film. To say why in the trailer would be to ruin it, so obviously they have to package it a big reveal (which I think is very well done via a bit of misdirection).

Spoiler:
    Show
    A shock or twist, in my book at least, would be something unexpected. Perhaps something which has had clues embedded within the film in the lead up to the reveal. Not something which is guessed at the start or has become a sort of 'cliche' within society.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But here's the thing; I doubt you did guess the ending at the beginning. In a crime mystery film everyone knows a crime has been committed, but the twist is often in who committed it. You can't dismiss these as not having a twist.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just wanted to be part of something :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I disagree. When you think of someone lying on the internet, you think of an old man preying on a young girl.

This film presents a very real face to lying, and makes it human. They're not lying to try and abuse someone, they're lying to escape from reality, to pursue their idea of what life might have been like.

The other strength of the film is that it shows how easy it is to be fooled by something, and the emotional response (watch how he first defends her and is in disbelief, then turns to anger, then turns to pity, then empathy, then sadness).

It is a tremendously powerful film. To say why in the trailer would be to ruin it, so obviously they have to package it a big reveal (which I think is very well done via a bit of misdirection).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Even though it ends up carrying the same message and you take the same sort of lesson away from it.

When you put it like that, I agree. It is powerful in conveying the aspects of deception and the reasoning behind such a deception.

As long as it is remembered for its depiction of these things that you have highlighted rather than its shock factor - which I still think, to the audience, should not have been such a 'massive' shock as it was touted to have been.

Are there any similar films? Not plot wise but message/presentation wise?

ReputationRep:
    To whoever decided to create a new account and leave a message on my wall catfish-stylee, I admit I laughed. :p:

Spoiler:
    Show
    But here's the thing; I doubt you did guess the ending at the beginning. In a crime mystery film everyone knows a crime has been committed, but the twist is often in who committed it. You can't dismiss these as not having a twist.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My reading of the plot synopsis or summary may have helped but who doesn't read that before choosing a film. It is like the blurb of a book. It was the same thing with Shutter Island. 'Psychological thriller', 'detective investigating' and 'mental asylum'. Put these together and you have 'the main guy is insane'. I was right on that count.

Similarly, 'going to meet someone from the Internet' - they are not going to be who you think they are or who they say they are - else it would be a boring film unless it was about the journey. They will have lied and if a film is being made about it, it will be a big lie.

They did it on secretmessages' profile too.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=159054

:afraid:

(Original post by cambo211)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just wanted to be part of something :awesome:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :rofl:

(Original post by big-boss-91)
    X
    Welcome!

ReputationRep:
    so what you guys think of INCEPTION?

so what you guys think of INCEPTION?
    Sorry for the second quote.

We've discussed it a lot in here. It's a good film, some say it is overrated, some say it is lacking but I think, as a whole package, I walked away pretty satisfied with it. It did meet my expectations and I look forward to any other ideas Nolan wants to explore as possible films. Almost have the urge to perform inception on him to get him to make one about time travel. Nolan + time travel = :awesome:

What was your interpretation of the ending?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :rofl:
    Thought you'd like that :p:

(Original post by cambo211)
    Thought you'd like that :p:
    Reminded me of the time where two members deleted their posts and the whole thread started copying them by deleting any posts they made - communicating through the "Reason for deleting" boxes. :rofl:

EDIT: Think Madjack was there. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the second quote.

We've discussed it a lot in here. It's a good film, some say it is overrated, some say it is lacking but I think, as a whole package, I walked away pretty satisfied with it. It did meet my expectations and I look forward to any other ideas Nolan wants to explore as possible films. Almost have the urge to perform inception on him to get him to make one about time travel. Nolan + time travel = :awesome:

What was your interpretation of the ending?
    I think Nolan left INCEPTION open ended so sequels are a big possibility. I think Cobb is still in reality because in dreams, the totems don't wobble out of control, it spins perfectly forever and it wobbled so reality.

let just wait for Nolan to put Batman 3 out of the way and hope he creates a new original exciting story!

I think Nolan left INCEPTION open ended so sequels are a big possibility. I think Cobb is still in reality because in dreams, the totems don't wobble out of control, it spins perfectly forever and it wobbled so reality.

let just wait for Nolan to put Batman 3 out of the way and hope he creates a new original exciting story!
    I hope he left it open for interpretation rather than sequels. No sequels please. One off, unique films are great and that's how they are remembered. :puppyeyes:

But if he was in a dream, he would have made that rule about the totems. :iiam:

Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he left it open for interpretation rather than sequels. No sequels please. One off, unique films are great and that's how they are remembered. :puppyeyes:

But if he was in a dream, he would have made that rule about the totems. :iiam:

Agreed.
    plus during a interview with nolan about inception, he said its not a dream! haha.
    its better to leave things open, Inception is one film that should never have sequels. Its a perfect film.

Avatar however is having a sequel in order to make money. Avatar 2 is going to be based underwater on the same planet of Pandora

plus during a interview with nolan about inception, he said its not a dream! haha.
    its better to leave things open, Inception is one film that should never have sequels. Its a perfect film.

Avatar however is having a sequel in order to make money. Avatar 2 is going to be based underwater on the same planet of Pandora
    He did? What interview was this? :shifty: The ones I have read, he has always said it is up to the viewer and I've never seen him give a definite answer.

Avatar 2 and 3 are still a way off as they make the technology 'future proof'. Think he [Cameron] is going to work on Cleopatra 'till then and then shoot Avatar 2 and 3 back to back.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.