Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Thanks. Tbh I guess I feel a bit embarrassed to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be embarrassed! I don't think I've met a teacher who hasn't had some behaviour management struggles, especially at the start of their career.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Don't be embarrassed! I don't think I've met a teacher who hasn't had some behaviour management struggles, especially at the start of their career.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Too right! And anyone who says they haven't is either lying or suffering from memory loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    The things that your partner might not want you to do. Or the things that you can't do if you have a partner.

You are safe (in many ways) but there is not much you can do.

Could anyone suggest to me books on classroom management? After yesterday I feel a bit under confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm interested in this too. My mentor has given me advice but she's also recommended I look up lots of different strategies and try them til I find some that suit me.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling rubbish right now I taught 6 lessons this week (two observed) and neither observation went very well. I've been criticised on everything from my organisation and planning to my behaviour management and explanations in class. Got two assignments to work on, all my planning for next week to do (albeit I know roughly what I am doing for each lesson) and I feel like I'm not getting any quality time with my partner. No matter what time I start/finish at school I always feel like I should be doing more. Stepping up to 2 lessons each day this week (3 on Tuesday and Wednesday), got 3 observations and that will also mean a ton of marking. I love teaching but the learning curve is huge and I'm really worried it will all be for nothing if I can't get a job/be a good teacher.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have to get my professional practice folder in order for Monday afternoon and I'm just starting to realise all of the missing bits from practice one.

I just want a nap at the moment. I'm so tired!

ReputationRep:
    Does any one know if it is possible to drop out and complete the course at a later date with another uni? I seriously doubt I'm going to get enough teaching hours in time for June.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does any one know if it is possible to drop out and complete the course at a later date with another uni? I seriously doubt I'm going to get enough teaching hours in time for June.
    Have you spoken to your course tutors? They should be doing everything they can to sort everything out since it's something out of your control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Have you spoken to your course tutors? They should be doing everything they can to sort everything out since it's something out of your control.
    No, I have a feeling I'll just be fobbed off. As I've mentioned before I'm not the only one in my class in this position.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am doing a GTP and I am on my second teaching placement at the moment before returning to my main school for the rest of the year.

The best books I have found on behaviour management are 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' and 'Teach like a Champion' which is an American book but has really good all-round advice and comes with a DVD to show you some of the teaching techniques in practice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No, I have a feeling I'll just be fobbed off. As I've mentioned before I'm not the only one in my class in this position.
    Do you have a course rep? We send all our issues through ours. If there's a lot of you they must be feeling confident that you'll be able to complete the hours or they wouldn't be running the course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well yesterday in one of the classes two of the lads kept laughing every time I spoke; I felt really uncomfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chances are they were just messing around and it was nothing to do with you, but I definitely understand why it makes you uncomfortable. If it happens again, treat it like any other disruption (I.E. pupil chatter) - give them a stare and wait for them to be quiet or use their names. If things persist verbally warn them and then follow through on everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    Hey guys,

I am doing a GTP and I am on my second teaching placement at the moment before returning to my main school for the rest of the year.

The best books I have found on behaviour management are 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' and 'Teach like a Champion' which is an American book but has really good all-round advice and comes with a DVD to show you some of the teaching techniques in practice.
    I've heard getting the buggers to behave is good quite a few times, think this will be the push I need to actually buy it! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    Hey guys,

(Original post by alabelle)
    I've heard getting the buggers to behave is good quite a few times, think this will be the push I need to actually buy it! Thank you.
    Honestly, anything by Bill Rogers is better than the absolute rubbish that is 'Getting the Buggers to Behave'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Honestly, anything by Bill Rogers is better than the absolute rubbish that is 'Getting the Buggers to Behave'
    Why do you prefer his books? Just wondering so I can compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Do you have a course rep? We send all our issues through ours. If there's a lot of you they must be feeling confident that you'll be able to complete the hours or they wouldn't be running the course.
    Yes we do. We're suppose to go on full time teaching practice for 5 weeks after half term but I have a feeling we're going to be unable to get the hours.

And thanks to those who recommended books/tips on behaviour management. I ordered a copy of "Getting the Buggers to Behave" and theres a few copies of a BIll Rodger's book in the college library I'll get out.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think 'Getting the Buggers to Behave' was rubbish - when I first started the course I think it had clear advice for people who were pretty clueless about the right way to approach behaviour (me).

I have been recommended Bill Rogers as well though and have heard he's good.

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked Bill Rogers' 'You know the fair rule' from what I remember. I find it tough with behaviour books though because I find, I know where they're going, I know the principles, its putting it in to practice in the middle of a busy day that's hard to achieve. When on placement I started to keep a log of when I used the strategies to help me remember to do it (literally just noted the date/session and a note like "praised JT for good sitting"). It helped me build it in to my everyday practice. After a while it becomes habit and then it gets less scary so you become even better at it!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobble1987)
    This is exactly why I don't think you should be allowed to do ITT straight from uni. Ridiculous!
    I agree with you to an extent. I understand that some people end up making fantastic teachers by randomly choosing a PGCE course. On the other hand, it took me two years to get onto a PGCE. I have a 2:1, three years experience as a teaching assistant and good A-levels. I am now on my course and I am love it so much! I am doing really well with "good" and "outstanding" grades, but it is disheartening when I see people getting on the course without out any real passion and no intention of staying in the career. I just think, I know of at least three people who have been unsuccessful in getting onto PGCE's and they want it so badly. I guess that is life though, and I hope that maybe the people who are hating the PGCE will discover a passion for it later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    I agree with you to an extent. I understand that some people end up making fantastic teachers by randomly choosing a PGCE course. On the other hand, it took me two years to get onto a PGCE. I have a 2:1, three years experience as a teaching assistant and good A-levels. I am now on my course and I am love it so much! I am doing really well with "good" and "outstanding" grades, but it is disheartening when I see people getting on the course without out any real passion and no intention of staying in the career. I just think, I know of at least three people who have been unsuccessful in getting onto PGCE's and they want it so badly. I guess that is life though, and I hope that maybe the people who are hating the PGCE will discover a passion for it later on.
    On this topic...

I think the main thing is, many of the people who get on to a course straight after uni are passionate about teaching, and likewise many people who turn out not to like it have done other things first.

It's the uni's job to figure out at interview whether someone has the passion and necessary skills to do well at teaching. It is true that other careers can give people skills which can really help, which is why those who come straight from an undergrad degree are in the minority (at least on my course). But I think that the uni should have the right to make their own decisions, rather than some blanket rule which is going to stop some really passionate and skilled people from entering the career of their choice. Some people know they want to be teachers for a long while before they get to the PGCE and have been working towards it throughout their education, and they shouldn't be prevented from doing so just because some graduates try it as a "don't know what to do" option.

On a side note, I think it's perfectly reasonable to train in teaching and then decide it's not for you. If you go in to it thinking it isn't then fair enough, that is very frustrating for those who really want to do it and struggle to get a place. But if you genuinely want to do it but find you're not cut out for it I think that's reasonable. You can't really know whether you'll be good at something or truly enjoy it until you've experienced it, and people shouldn't feel bad about changing their mind.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how likely it is to start a teaching post before summer?

The reason I ask is my course finishes on the 3rd of July and that leaves 2 weeks before the kids break up. I really want to go and visit my family in Thailand and it is £450 more to go in the school holidays. :eek:

Anyway I have heard that when people get posts for September they are often asked to start at the end of the Summer term, I was wondering how often this happens? I'm EYFS/ KS1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.