The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
I have bunked lessons. My parents wouldn't dare let me bunk school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I've done that actually. I have a few med conditions that flare up, so I just use that as an excuse sometimes (once I really was actually ill though)

Original post by Blueray2
I bunked my free periods :lol:

How do you bunk frees? Haha
Original post by lilGem
It is :biggrin: CHE/PHA are minutes from where I live :redface:

That's pretty cool :biggrin: I know someone doing geography there :smile:
Reply 4801
Had Physics exam last week. Lost 6 marks due to answers. When I retyped on my calculator I got the right answer but first time I got different. Anyone know why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
Argh, thanks, that was really simple. I'm stuck on the next question though... :colondollar:

Q) Albert and Bella are standing in a lift. The mass of the lift is 250kg. As the lift moves upward with constant acceleration, the floor of the lift exerts forces of magnitude 678N and 452N respectively on Albert and Bella. The tension in the cable at the which is pulling the lift upwards is 3995N.

a) Find the acceleration of the lift.
b) Find both Albert's and Bella's mass.

I really am clueless on this question. I know it's F=ma but no idea where to go with finding the acceleration, as I can't work out the resultant force :sigh:

Ah everyone loves lifts.

Draw a diagram, they're dead helpful.

By Newton's law, the force exerted on the person by the floor is equal to the force exerted on the floor by the person. So consider the lift only and use that to work out a. It's hard to explain, sorry, but see if you can get what I'm saying...if not, post your working and I'll have a look. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4803
Original post by mynameisntbobk

It is a brilliant university, so glad I came here :yep:
Yes. I thought that, but what you've got there is wrong (I had it too). The answer is 1.5ms^-2.

Oh no! I remember when I was doing lifts it was always hit and miss :lol:
Original post by lilGem
It is a brilliant university, so glad I came here :yep:

Even over Exeter? :wink:
Original post by usycool1
Ah everyone loves lifts.

On first glance I thought that said "everyone loves tits" XD.
Original post by Dilzo999
On first glance I thought that said "everyone loves tits" XD.

:rolleyes:

:tongue:
Reply 4808
Even over Exeter? :wink:

:yep:
Original post by lilGem
:yep:

Aww, then I'm really happy for you
Original post by usycool1
Ah everyone loves lifts.

Draw a diagram, they're dead helpful.

By Newton's law, the force exerted on the person by the floor is equal to the force exerted on the floor by the person. So consider the lift only and use that to work out a. It's hard to explain, sorry, but see if you can get what I'm saying...if not, post your working and I'll have a look. :smile:

Hmm. Okay, so I'm still confused, sorry. So I'm just considering the lift? But then all I have is 3955 - T* = 250a. So in my working I have two unknowns..

I understand your explanation for b, but don't understand a. Sorry :frown:
* T = downward force

Robbie242
Any ideas?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hmm. Okay, so I'm still confused, sorry. So I'm just considering the lift? But then all I have is 3955 - T* = 250a. So in my working I have two unknowns..

I understand your explanation for b, but don't understand a. Sorry :frown:
* T = downward force

F = ma

So f has to equal 375 right? Where could we get that from.... Hmm... Sorry, I should be able to help but minds on Twitter
Original post by L'Evil Fish
F = ma

So f has to equal 375 right? Where could we get that from.... Hmm... Sorry, I should be able to help but minds on Twitter

I know! I hope Usy can help me out.. :frown:
I know! I hope Usy can help me out.. :frown:

I cba getting paper and drawing a diagram, I feel bad. There's an examsolutions video for lifts
I don't think I've done that actually. I have a few med conditions that flare up, so I just use that as an excuse sometimes (once I really was actually ill though)

How do you bunk frees? Haha

:rofl: Was just saying it as a joke :tongue:
Argh, thanks, that was really simple. I'm stuck on the next question though... :colondollar:

Q) Albert and Bella are standing in a lift. The mass of the lift is 250kg. As the lift moves upward with constant acceleration, the floor of the lift exerts forces of magnitude 678N and 452N respectively on Albert and Bella. The tension in the cable at the which is pulling the lift upwards is 3995N.

a) Find the acceleration of the lift.
b) Find both Albert's and Bella's mass.

I really am clueless on this question. I know it's F=ma but no idea where to go with finding the acceleration, as I can't work out the resultant force :sigh:

Let m1m_1 be Albert's mass and m2m_2 be Bella's mass and the acceleration on the lift be aa. As a force of 678N678N is exerted on Albert then 678โˆ’m1g=m1a(1)678 - m_1 g = m_1 a \quad (1). Similarly, 452โˆ’m2g=m2a(2)452 - m_2 g = m_2 a \quad (2).

Now, considering the lift:

3995โˆ’(250+m1+m2)g=(250+m1+m2)a(3)3995 - (250 + m_1 + m_2)g = (250 + m_1 + m_2)a \quad \quad (3).

Substitute (1)(1) and (2)(2) into (3)(3).

Edit: Also, did you make a typo and should the tension in the cable of the lift be 3955 N?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4816
A2 Physics what you learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4817
Could anyone offer any M1 help?

Q) The engine of a van of mass 400kg cuts out when it is moving along a straight horizontal road with speed 16m/s. The van comes to rest without the brakes being applied. Assume the resistive force against the van to be 200N.

a) find how long it takes the van to stop.
b) find how far the van travels before it stops.
c) comment on the suitability of the modelling assumption.

Is this suvat? I'm really confused about a) and b).

I think youre probably wanted to consider energy changes...but if you haven't covered that then I imagine SUVAT yes
Reply 4818
Original post by Qari
Had Physics exam last week. Lost 6 marks due to answers. When I retyped on my calculator I got the right answer but first time I got different. Anyone know why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Radians/ degrees problems? This gets me sometimes
Reply 4819
Hey! Sorry about this, I'm intruding on a completely unrelated thread but I need advice quickly! :frown: Sorry about this. Would you mind taking at look at this thread and sharing your thoughts? Thankyou.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2488481

Latest