Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Maths
    OCR A Chemistry, Physics, Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I was so motivated for the year and doing 5 subjects, feeling a bit demotivated now
    yeah i'm just going to do 4 now and aim for 90+ ums in those 4 instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    Edexcel Maths
    OCR A Chemistry, Physics, Biology.
    Added :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    was it your first day back today ?

and what did you do in maths, just recapping GCSE ?
    Yeah it was I had 1 hour of mechanics which was pretty basic stuff (scalars, vectors) and 1 hour introduction to the course and some work on surds. Very easy stuff tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    yeah i'm just going to do 4 now and aim for 90+ ums in those 4 instead
    It's weird though, I felt so motivated for the first time in my school life and when I got told I had to do 4 I just felt all that motivation disappear

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was I had 1 hour of mechanics which was pretty basic stuff (scalars, vectors) and 1 hour introduction to the course and some work on surds. Very easy stuff tbh
    Will you have an entrance exam ? My school have entrance exams for all sciences and maths

ReputationRep:
    All pretty simple so far, but I've heard after Unit 1 is the real difficulty increase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RagaZ)
    AWESOME website!!
    Hehe, I'm glad someone agrees! My only problem with it is that it needs updating a little bit. Apart from that it's brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Went to the library last period to do some work......year 9s loudly come in 10 minutes later oh

ReputationRep:
    Will you have an entrance exam ? My school have entrance exams for all sciences and maths
    Not so much an entrance exams but I have tests coming up and if you do badly they will review your place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    All pretty simple so far, but I've heard after Unit 1 is the real difficulty increase
    IN chemistry i had a look at the exams and the difficulty definitely rises alot :/

ReputationRep:
    Not so much an entrance exams but I have tests coming up and if you do badly they will review your place
    Ahhh i guess that's similar enough :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Added ... and I'd definitely drop french ;D
    Thank you! Arghh, I would but Spanish is a much bigger group and I think I'd do better overall with a smaller one - when you're learning languages you want it to be close to a one-to-one teaching thing :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    Thank you! Arghh, I would but Spanish is a much bigger group and I think I'd do better overall with a smaller one - when you're learning languages you want it to be close to a one-to-one teaching thing :/
    Yes i definitely agree with you, i prefer it like for everything, in that case go with french :yep: although Spanish is much better ;D

ReputationRep:
    IN chemistry i had a look at the exams and the difficulty definitely rises alot :/
    Which is why I'm dropping it before it gets to A2! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yes i definitely agree with you, i prefer it like for everything, in that case go with french :yep: although Spanish is much better ;D
    Hehe, I wish it was a small group - I agree with the fact that Spanish is much better! More useful too IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppie)
    Good luck to all of you in your GCSE results!

One word of advice for Year 12/Lower Sixth - Do not waste it, thinking you'll be able to do everything in Year 13/Upper Sixth. Always meet deadlines, and become friendly with your teachers - then if something out of your control does go wrong, it is much easier to rectify, even if it does mean you have to redo something in Year 13/Upper Sixth.

And don't forget to enjoy yourselves! College is a great part of life, even with the stress you will come across. Remember that grades aren't everything - being a nice person and being organised is much more important.

Also, for those wondering what sort of stationary you need for Lower Sixth - pens, pencils, and rulers go without saying. Even in an essay subject, you may want to do some rough work with pencils, or draw something which helps you remember when it comes to revision. If you're taking physics or maths, you will be needing a scientific calculator (for maths, graphical ones can help - especially on the MEI exam board. They are expensive, however (£50ish), so try and get one second-hand).

In general for all subjects, you will want a lever-arch folder for each subject to keep at home. Have some plastic wallets to separate modules instead of paper file dividers - the holes in the paper ones will become destroyed after some use (eg. For maths, I have a plastic wallet with C1 on the front, then behind that plastic wallet, I have more for each topic in C1. A single plastic wallet should be able to hold all work on a single topic within a module). Next, you will want a ring-binder or other sort of (small) folder just to carry around with you at college - especially if you are working on the same piece of paper for several days at a time.

Lastly - and perhaps the most important with the exception of pens, pencils and a ruler - paper. You will not be given paper in college unless a friend is able to lend you some. Try not to go for the paper pads which have glued spines, but rather those that are ring-binded (pukka pads or Oxford paper is very good indeed). As for the quality of paper - you will probably want 70gsm or more for it to not decintergrate within 10 minutes of use (obviously, the higher the quality, the more costly it is). Make sure you keep stocked on paper - you will get through much more than you think.
    On the folders front, my collage want us to have a ring binder for each subject at home and then a smaller folder for each subject (and teacher for chemistry) to carry around at school. Is this completely ridiculous or normal, and how would you do it if you were working like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    Which is why I'm dropping it before it gets to A2! :eek:
    :O no way .... A2 apparently just disproves all you learnt at AS :lol:

(Original post by Ninjasrule)
    Hehe, I wish it was a small group - I agree with the fact that Spanish is much better! More useful too IMO
    Yeah Spanish is awesome, which is why it always confused me why french is the international language for many things :confused: when more countries speak English or Spanish :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone reasonably good at maths- if possible can you answer this thread?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2460904
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    :O no way .... A2 apparently just disproves all you learnt at AS :lol:

Another reason for me to drop it then! :lol:

I'm really not all that interested in Chemistry, the AS course looks a lot more interesting than A2 though, so I'm dropping it after a year!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.