Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keevs)
    Hello all

I have read a lot about people using the Gold Standard book for the GAMSAT. Has anyone been able to get a good score with purely the preparation materials GAMSAST/ACER provide, and some other supplementary books (e.g. Letts A-level)? Or is spending a large amount of money the only way people have prepared for this exam?
    Didn't spend any money, no science degree (maths) and got 67 (reading), 68 (writing) and 79 (science) for 73 overall.

Used a lot of MCAT resources (Berkely, Princeton Reviews and Examkrackers), Chemistry by Blackman, Biology by Campbell and Reece, Organic Chemistry by Wade (1st year uni textbooks), copies of all of which are floating round the net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Didn't spend any money, no science degree (maths) and got 67 (reading), 68 (writing) and 79 (science) for 73 overall.

Used a lot of MCAT resources (Berkely, Princeton Reviews and Examkrackers), Chemistry by Blackman, Biology by Campbell and Reece, Organic Chemistry by Wade (1st year uni textbooks), copies of all of which are floating round the net.
    How the hell you did that I don't know! Some people like you must be gifted haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    How the hell you did that I don't know! Some people like you must be gifted haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

But if only I had the same talent for interviews and earning money my life would be a lot easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)

Thank you! That's so useful. I have a neuroscience degree, so hopefully that will give a little foundation of knowledge for bio, but I haven't done physics in 8 years so I need prayers to get me through that section haha!

Have you got into anywhere, or are you still trying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keevs)
    Thank you! That's so useful. I have a neuroscience degree, so hopefully that will give a little foundation of knowledge for bio, but I haven't done physics in 8 years so I need prayers to get me through that section haha!

For the physics, I do tutor A-level physics as I find the non-wordy questions pretty easy especially the mechanics. So maybe add your favourite A-level physics revision book to this list if you can't remember it.

Still trying: first year of applications. Southampton post interview rejection, waiting to hear back from Warwick this week as to the result of my interview there. Interviews still to go at Swansea and Nottingham. Not sure my finances are where I would like them to be at this stage unfortunately either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keevs)

I also have a neuro degree (or two) and hadnt done physics/chem since school... About 15 years ago!

It's perfectly doable. Get on khan academy and use the acer materials and make sure you do the practice tests in full timed conditions. Its a marathon so make sure you are capable of going for hours on end.

Good luck! (my application stats are on my profile, three interviews pending so fingers crossed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam96)
    Hi i'm a first year Biomedical science student and i'm looking to apply for Med at the end of my course.
    Be aware that GEM courses are being phased out. Bristol's wont run next year and I know others wont as well. Therefore realistically you are looking at the 5 year course. Your A levels are weak - that is going to be your biggest problem - if you don't meet the minimum required you will get a straight rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam96)
    Hi i'm a first year Biomedical science student and i'm looking to apply for Med at the end of my course. I've applied twice before as an undergrad, sadly it didn't work out. I wanted an honest opinion on what my chances are and what i need to get done. Here is my current profile. I've been through the whole process of rejection twice now, i took a gap year and don't want to do anything else. Need an honest opinion

A Level- ABB. I totally messed it up, had a variety of issues in my final year of school.
    GCSE- 5A* 2A 2B
    Previous Ukcat- 675

Current experience:
    2 weeks volunteering abroad in an african hospital
    6 Months ward volunteer
    DofE Gold
    Did volunteer at a care home but feel as though it's negligible

Currently volunteering at a local hospital to uni, will carry on for 2 years
    2 Weeks abroad this summer hospital placement sorted
    2 Weeks shadowing in the UK sorted for the summer will repeat next year too
    3 Months HCA this summer, will repeat next year too

At my university there's an automatic interview given to the top 20 students, ie a first is imperative. I've been thinking of starting gamsat prep, but feel as though i have no time as it as atm trying to keep up with uni life and getting that first. Need some advice. I feel as though i struggle with the UKCAT, not sure i can achieve a 700+ score. I've looked into the gamsat but it looks beyond scary, and a mammoth to tackle. If i were to apply for A100 as a graduate would a levels still be looked at, will i need an AAA?

Right now i feel as though i'm going to keep applying until i do get on. Apply till i die trying
    I was in/ have a lot of people on my course that are in similar positions to you, and lots of us are still applying for medicine! I had a similar problem with my UKCAT score but just remember it really will improve every time you do it and the GAMSAT seems daunting at first but I revised solidly for the summer leading up to it and managed to reach the cutoffs so it's not as impossible as it seems at first! I think you can apply to at least some a100 as long as you are predicted a 2:1 but someone correct me if I am wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    Heya, here are the threads which will hopefully give you a bit more info on what you're looking for!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post62268361

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post62275425
    thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    x
    Just seen your stats on your profile, you did well in the GAMSAT. Any tips?
    Also well done with getting all of the interviews, good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Be aware that GEM courses are being phased out. Bristol's wont run next year and I know others wont as well. Therefore realistically you are looking at the 5 year course. Your A levels are weak - that is going to be your biggest problem - if you don't meet the minimum required you will get a straight rejection.
    I'd still be surprised if they phased it out completely instead of reinventing it after a year or two. A lot of other (comparable) countries have majority graduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13yilde)
    I was in/ have a lot of people on my course that are in similar positions to you, and lots of us are still applying for medicine! I had a similar problem with my UKCAT score but just remember it really will improve every time you do it and the GAMSAT seems daunting at first but I revised solidly for the summer leading up to it and managed to reach the cutoffs so it's not as impossible as it seems at first! I think you can apply to at least some a100 as long as you are predicted a 2:1 but someone correct me if I am wrong?
    Have you managed to get on yet? Someone else responded to me stating that the whole GEM program will soon be phased out across universities. I highly doubt it but is it something to worry about? I'm going to do a bit of research on whether A levels are looked at on A100 as a graduate. Also have you finished your Biomed course, in your opinion is getting a first beyond reach? I'm 5 months into the course and i'm on the border line but it's hard to know whether i can keep it going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam96)
    Have you managed to get on yet? Someone else responded to me stating that the whole GEM program will soon be phased out across universities. I highly doubt it but is it something to worry about? I'm going to do a bit of research on whether A levels are looked at on A100 as a graduate. Also have you finished your Biomed course, in your opinion is getting a first beyond reach? I'm 5 months into the course and i'm on the border line but it's hard to know whether i can keep it going.
    Many universities (off the top of my head; Keele, Southampton, Leeds, Kings, Newcastle) don't look at your A levels once you have a degree.

I think the main limitation is needing chemistry A level if your degree didn't contain chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4757)
    Many universities (off the top of my head; Keele, Southampton, Leeds, Kings, Newcastle) don't look at your A levels once you have a degree.

I think the main limitation is needing chemistry A level if your degree didn't contain chemistry.
    In addition, finding the 30-odd grand to fund a 5-year course might prove difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    In addition, finding the 30-odd grand to fund a 5-year course might prove difficult!
    Agreed. Start saving early + talk to family is my advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam96)
    I am applying now and have interviews lined up so I don't have a place yet no. Yeah I don't know about the GEM being phased out thing, but I doubt it would happen before you have the chance to apply. You could apply to graduate courses if you sit the GAMSAT/UKCAT anyway, what most people I know are doing is applying to a mixture, just remember to play to your strengths when applying. I am in my final year, a first isn't completely out of reach but it's tough, I'm pretty borderline between the two too, my advice would be to not get too hung up on whether or not it's possible and just do the best you can. Other than Birmingham and probably Oxbridge GEM courses accept a 2:1 mainly anyway so even if you don't get in that top 20 don't lose hope if it's really what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    I know others wont as well
    Do you know any others that are planning to close in the next 2-3 years?

ReputationRep:
    King's offer guys! Check your portal!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    King's offer guys! Check your portal!!!
    Congrats, is it your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Congrats, is it your first choice?
    I'm honestly just so glad and grateful to have had an offer. I can't stop smiling

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.