Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Did I say she had to sell to Usmanov?

Anyway I am off tonight, but yeah, will not be posting in the football threads for a while, only on the misc thread. Too much full potato from occassional posters on here. You all seem to crawl out of the woodwork when we lose ('fans' and WUMs alike).
    No but that was pretty much the only option she had.

Pretty sure I've been here when we win, and I have a job so can't be posting on here like the rest of you 15 year olds all hours of the day.

Very convenient for you to be going and just ignore what I said though? Guess you were expecting it all to be doom and gloom and in reality, was the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    I agree :yep: always happens with Arsenal matches. Last few minutes or so was an absolute health scare!
    They were soooo close They do deserve congratulations though, it was a decent match and they did try a lot, especially after Ramsay's goal. Next year we will kick ass :yep:
    That's the exciting thing about football, everything can change so quickly and til the last minute you're crazyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    I disagree entirely. On the surface 2nd seems like a good season but once you've taken into account the gap to first (no title challenge) and the deficiencies of teams around (City and United) then there's really no difference from finishing 4th. The usual has happened; a title challenge non-existence and a madness at the back end of the season to secure dat CL place.

At some point certain players not turning up has to be attributed to the manager. Why is Giroud the main striker? Why didn't Ramsey start? Why didn't Wenger bawl at his players not to bomb forward at 2-1 at the Emirates? It's not just bad fortune or individual naivety, it's a deep rooted flaw within the mentality of the squad, too soft and weak.
    Thank you.

This is exactly what I said, but now have AKBs all in their feelings about it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol there's a difference between delusion and unnecessary, repetitive pessimism.
    Prod, you're better than that. Just quote/@ me, rather than being shady about things.

It's repetitive because it keeps on happening, until something changes on the pitch, the rhetoric won't.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by anastas)
    They were soooo close They do deserve congratulations though, it was a decent match and they did try a lot, especially after Ramsay's goal. Next year we will kick ass :yep:
    That's the exciting thing about football, everything can change so quickly and til the last minute you're crazyyy
    Too close for words. So how long have you been watching Arsenal then?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i'm just happy we didn't get knocked out the same way Chelsea did.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the BVB v Juventus game tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I wouldnt trade the Utd win for a win tonight...

We'll probably win the Cup whereas we'd probably just get humiliated by Real or Bayern next round anyway so swings and roundabouts. We know Wenger is ****e in the CL and we therefore know we'll be average in the CL for a couple of more years yet. That's not the end of the world
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Prod, you're better than that. Just quote/@ me, rather than being shady about things.

It's repetitive because it keeps on happening, until something changes on the pitch, the rhetoric won't.
    It wasn't being shady and on a bloody internet forum as well :lol: the post was general hence why I didn't quote. I'd @ anyone no hesitation really.

Pegs you've said what you've said and it's cool. We're just going to go back and forth here without really seeing eye to eye so no point arguing. And also we all have lives too, whether we post more than yourself or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Tbh I wouldnt trade the Utd win for a win tonight...

We'll probably win the Cup whereas we'd probably just get humiliated by Real or Bayern next round anyway so swings and roundabouts. We know Wenger is ****e in the CL and we therefore know we'll be average in the CL for a couple of more years yet. That's not the end of the world
    It's the hope that kills me Zürich. I honestly believed that finally, after years of getting an awful draw, we would be able to get it over the line this time and reach the promise land of the QFs, I can't take this anymore. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I thought Ozil, Koscielny, Coquelin and Giroud were all outstanding tonight for what it was worth. Ozil when he plays with a bit of bite and sharpness is worth £40m easily

Felt Walcott was appalling, why bring him on against a team sitting deep? And Sanchez is out of form atm, probably burnt out really.

Annoying but imagine if we'd brought on Podolski instead of Walcott for the last 15m? His kind of game I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Too close for words. So how long have you been watching Arsenal then?
    I'd say less than year, i wasn't interested in football before but i'm now in the process of learning what i've been missing all these years I accidentally happened to watch a football tv show about Arsenal, read about the club's history, watched a couple of games and said '' yep, this is my team '' :yep: What about you? You seem to be a very dedicated fan, considering you started the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    Tbh i'm just happy we didn't get knocked out the same way Chelsea did.
    On away goals? You did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    It's the hope that kills me Zürich. I honestly believed that finally, after years of getting an awful draw, we would be able to get it over the line this time and reach the promise land of the QFs, I can't take this anymore. :sad:
    Must say Arsenal have a seemingly unlimited ability to mess up and frustrate in the CL. Dont forget we had an equalling shocking game at the Westfallenstadion against a BVB side who were getting flattened in the Bundesliga by one and all at the time. There is an intensity to CL games that Wenger fails to instil into our own performances and that's just the way it is. He is a fantastic league manager because over 38 games there is time to correct mistakes and allow your quality to come through but in these knock out games you need to be prepared for the big one off occasion.

But on the other hand, in a few months time we'll all probably be celebrating a trophy anyway and that's all I can ever dream of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    On away goals? You did.
    Nah losing to 10men getting humiliated by an ex player and also having the opportunity to maintain that win with a pen...
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by anastas)
    I'd say less than year, i wasn't interested in football before but i'm now in the process of learning what i've been missing all these years I accidentally happened to watch a football tv show about Arsenal, read about the club's history, watched a couple of games and said '' yep, this is my team '' :yep: What about you? You seem to be a very dedicated fan, considering you started the thread
    Aw that's very interesting, you picked a good team does come with a health warning though. Erm, for me I've always been the club's supporter but only properly got into the nitty gritty stuff a few years ago. Posting here helps me learn new things, helps when you're surrounded by a good bunch as well oh lol starting the thread was an honour really hehe.

-----------------
    Ramsey should have been brought on sooner imo, maybe even at half time. And to all those saying "Walcott never starts, Wenger this, Wenger that etc etc" yeah he was a nothing sub today. Maybe a few starts might help him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    I disagree entirely. On the surface 2nd seems like a good season but once you've taken into account the gap to first (no title challenge) and the deficiencies of teams around (City and United) then there's really no difference from finishing 4th. The usual has happened; a title challenge non-existence and a madness at the back end of the season to secure dat CL place.

At some point certain players not turning up has to be attributed to the manager. Why is Giroud the main striker? Why didn't Ramsey start? Why didn't Wenger bawl at his players not to bomb forward at 2-1 at the Emirates? It's not just bad fortune or individual naivety, it's a deep rooted flaw within the mentality of the squad, too soft and weak.
    Mentally the rise from 4th to 2nd is a big change, especially for the players who haven't had a great season but still managed to take 2nd, they wont be phased by whether other teams are performing below par imo. I would also say that retaining the FA cup would be nothing to look down on either, itd still be a big achievement considering our drought.

But for this specific defeat (over the two legs) it was very much down to singular poor performances, on another day Giroud would have scored a hattrick in the first leg quiet easily, would anyone question him then? Also believe the starting line-up today was spot on today and seemed to work very well, I thought Ramsey should have been brought on sooner but that was my only qualm. No one can predict Walcott these days so no blame attached to Wenger for bringing him on because on paper it seemed the right decision.

As for Wengers touchline antics, he's always been like that, he trusts his players too much and while I do agree that he should take some sort of action to avoid these kind of situations the players also have to take some initiative and use their common sense at times, something they lacked which lead to the last goal being conceded. One of the other goals was just a wonderstrike which Ospina should have probably saved and the other was solely down to Mert being an idiot and pushing up to RM whereby even if Wenger wanted to react it was way to late as Mert made up his mind and got skinned.

You can blame mentality less and less this season because in general we've turned up to big games and certain players are starting to gain a big game mentality i.e Giroud especially has a decent record against them. Clearly the squad isn't at its peak mentally but you can't say its not being improved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I thought Ozil, Koscielny, Coquelin and Giroud were all outstanding tonight for what it was worth. Ozil when he plays with a bit of bite and sharpness is worth £40m easily

Felt Walcott was appalling, why bring him on against a team sitting deep? And Sanchez is out of form atm, probably burnt out really.

Annoying but imagine if we'd brought on Podolski instead of Walcott for the last 15m? His kind of game I feel.
    Yes I agree. Ozil was outstanding.

Coquelin I felt did ok but he wasn't what was needed.

I was very impressed with Ramsey in all honesty, Sanchez was frustrating as **** to watch but he'll be back sooner or later. Been average since the injury in january though.

Walcott been quite average but Walcott should be starting games personally.

ReputationRep:
    Personally Wenger should have just taken the L in the first leg after the Chamberlain goal.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    A lot of our players love to dribble and run at defenders when there's no bloody space to get past. The amount of times I was screaming "Pass now! Shoot ffs!" At the telly tonight was slightly annoying. That needs to stop, pass when there's no means of getting through for goodness sake. Monaco were just a brick wall at the back, solid defenders.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.