Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RVNmax)
    Why can't we we afford that? Secondly he won't be on the bench, we have played our 4 first choice CBs plus Ilori, Caulker, Enrique, Lucas. The first of those 3 are gone so for the sake of saving the difference between Skrtel's and Toure's wages at the sacrifice of possible quality that will almost certainly be called upon throughout the season and the possible need of something extra like we have this season, which costs further wages plus transfer fee, I see no reason to sell Skrtel unless he himself doesn't want to fight for his place.

I meant that you could hardly tell from looking at the amount of games each CB has played.

Another factor on the CB issue (and not relating to any of my points discussed thus far) is the versatility of our signings. I don't advocate going for signings based upon versatility but rather quality in a certain position, though if we happen to get a full back or a defensive mid that can play CB then it allows a greater leeway to go into next season with only 3 quality CBs.
    Well Skrtel seems to be rumoured to be on anything between 75k to 110k a week. We could probably have a 4th choice CB on around 30-50k. So you could be saving between 1.2mil-4mil depending on the wages.

He's only 31 so we probably could get £5-10mil for him too.

It's not just a cost thing (that money could go into funding other parts of the squad) but also if we tell Skrtel, having been a mainstay of the defence for years, that he's now 4th choice behind Sakho, Lovren and Matip, it's likely that he'll want to leave anyway for game time. Hard to keep players like that happy to sit on the bench.

I think Klopp will pick pacey FBs. I don't think we have anyone who can play both CB and FB. Can you imagine Clyne or Moreno at CB? :rofl:

Lucas and Can would be obvious players to slip back to CB if cover is needed.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    It's a very frustrating scenario because although Skrtel has his faults, he has been such a presence for us over the years. I don't think he's good enough to be starting next season and I agree that his wage is too high to warrant having him sit on the bench. Reluctantly I think we should sell.

I'm happy with Sakho and Matip as main with Lovren and Toure as back up. We already know Sakho can be rock solid when paired with another quality defender - if Matip turns out good we could find a long term CB partnership.
    Lovren has improved a great deal so I wouldn't oppose to him being around when Sakho (inevitably) gets injured.

All in all, with Matip coming in I don't think we need to buy another CB. We certainly need a keeper, and potentially a LB on top of that. One we've made those signings, it's up to defensive coaching to make things tick.
    Depends if Klopp thinks Toure will have legs for another season. He'll be 35 before the end of the season..

Not sure if we will get a new GK (even if everyone else thinks we need one) with Mignolet signing the new contract.

Will be an interesting summer to see which direction Klopp decides to take the squad.

(Original post by samir12)
    Interesting that the two players we have signed so far (Grujic and Matip) are both over 6ft. It's good to see that we are addressing the lack of height in our squad as our players are beaten far too easily in the air, would help a bit with defending set pieces too.
    Not sure if Klopp cares that much about Grujic? No doubt the scouting team said he's talented and we should buy.

Maybe since he's only a couple of years younger than Can so he might come straight into the squad but I wouldn't be that surprised if he's just loaned out again.

Matip, being a CB, was always going to be tall. But we do need more bigger/physical/pacey players to balance out what we currently have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kevin Stewart with an Ankle Ligament damage. Lallana still out on Thurs but Lucas available.

ReputationRep:
    ****'s sake

ReputationRep:
    Frustrating since he was just starting to show his worth to the first team

ReputationRep:
    Got injured from blocking a shot, just our ****ing luck eh..

Hopefully it's not too serious, still awaiting scan results.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...fa-coefficient

Not a terrible idea that Europa League clubs may be offered cash bonuses by Premier League to encourage clubs to try and progress further in EL.

Although it might be a little late now since the prospect of winning a CL spot is surely enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...fa-coefficient

Not a terrible idea that Europa League clubs may be offered cash bonuses by Premier League to encourage clubs to try and progress further in EL.

Although it might be a little late now since the prospect of winning a CL spot is surely enough?
    The CL prospect is probably still not enough as the PL clubs still see the EL as an hindrance. The cash bonuses along with increased in TV revenue means the PL clubs can afford to have bigger squads to cope with the extra games so that may encourage them but we still a heavy fixture congestion. Winter breaks would solve that but that isn't happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    The CL prospect is probably still not enough as the PL clubs still see the EL as an hindrance. The cash bonuses along with increased in TV revenue means the PL clubs can afford to have bigger squads to cope with the extra games so that may encourage them but we still a heavy fixture congestion. Winter breaks would solve that but that isn't happening.
    I think for teams like Liverpool and Man Utd, it probably is enough. Probably not for the likes of West Ham/Spurs/Everton etc

Winter breaks would either mean more games every 3/4 days or a longer season. Need to find a way to reduce the number of games.

Scrap FA Cup replays/League Cup two-legged semifinals?
    Scrap the League Cup?
    Reduce the number of teams in the Premier League to 18?

ReputationRep:
    The League Cup only ever became a thing to help clubs finance floodlights, I can see the case for scrapping it now.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...p-jurgen-klopp

Jürgen Klopp believes Liverpool have saved millions by moving decisively for Joel Matip and has indicated this summer may not witness another mass recruitment drive at Anfield.

The 24-year-old central defender rejected a lucrative offer to stay in Gelsenkirchen, plus interest from several European and Premier League clubs, and Klopp claims Schalke could have named their price for the Cameroon international had he remained under contract. The Liverpool manager also confirmed the pursuit of Matip was his suggestion, not that of the club’s transfer committee.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lovren out due to family ilness - he's returned to Croatia

ReputationRep:
    I terribly felt sorry about his injury. He's one of my fave because he's a promising defender. Hope he will have a fast recovery.

(Original post by mr tim)
    Kevin Stewart with an Ankle Ligament damage. Lallana still out on Thurs but Lucas available.

ReputationRep:
    Quite excited for this game now that we've got a lot of players back.

Not sure I expect a lineup any different to the one against Villa.

ReputationRep:

who do u ship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    who do u ship
    Wha?

ReputationRep:
    Spurs had used Vertonghen and Alderweireld for the first 23 league games and now have used Wimmer since the injury to Vertonghen. That's 3 CBs used all season.

We've used - Sakho, Lovren, Skrtel, Toure, Caulker, Ilori, Lucas and Enrique across all competitions :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Wha?
    ffs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

We don't have a game at the weekend, no reason to rest any players. Looks like a strong team has travelled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    We don't have a game at the weekend, no reason to rest any players. Looks like a strong team has travelled.
    True. Would be a huge luxury if we battered Augsburg and then were able to play a second string side in the return leg, giving the first team like 10 days to rest before the League Cup final.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unchanged team then.... 1st time under Klopp

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Sakho, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Milner, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge.

Subs: Ward, Randall, Caulker, Lucas, Ibe, Origi, Benteke.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.