UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heyemma
Hey guys! I did my UKCAT this morning and I got
VR-550
QR-790
AR-620
SJ-Band 1
Do you think I still have a chance for HYMS and Dundee? Also any unis I should avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you defo still have a chance for Dundee. I know someone who just started at Dundee and she got about the same average as you last year:smile:
Original post by Sniperdon227
Hi I sat my UKCAT today and I did well;

VR:550 (Really hard for me, computer was like 28" and text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally,dpmo)
QR:830 (Kinda easy, skipped two sets and some questions)
AR:820 (Nice patterns for me aha)
SJT: Band 2 (Dont be complacent, they bombard you with chunky paragraphs and only ask two questions, dpmo, I was left with time (3mins) to check my answers up to half way I reckon)

Average:733.33

Im a Gap Year student wanting to study Dentistry;
GCSE's: 1A* 10A 2B (Eng Lang)
Alevel A*AA Maths,Bio,Chem respectively

where can I apply?
Thanks

Pretty much anywhere I think lol, especially as Dentistry cut offs are lower than Med ones and you'd probably still be able to apply to all Med schools sith that score. Was the AR section of similar difficulty to the questions in medify or easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use these shortcuts they were IMPORTANT for me in the exam
Alt+N - to advance a question saves you moving the mouse, ukcat is all about speed, plus you can do this solely with your left hand so you save time
Alt+P - to go back a question
Alt+C - to bring up calc
Alt+F - Flag a question
Original post by ASTK98
Pretty much anywhere I think lol, especially as Dentistry cut offs are lower than Med ones and you'd probably still be able to apply to all Med schools sith that score. Was the AR section of similar difficulty to the questions in medify or easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

During Decision Making I did not waste those 30 mins, I wrote every single pattern I could think of so I could simultaneously apply all of them to the question in hand, I managed to get all the patterns but 1, I think i know it now flip sake. And I rinsed medify and ukcat ninja plus ukcat practice mocks, so I believe I knew most patterns. I found them to be questions where you just knew the patterns, some that I did not know could be worked out fairly quickly and I just skipped those before coming back to them!
Reply 4804
Do unis tend to judge your average score or each individual section? I got a great QR(850)but my worst ever VR(530) and I'm worried about that affecting my application.

*overall score 2110 by the way, 730 in AR)
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal

Thank you so much!! I am trying to choose between Bristol and Exeter. I heart that Exeter wants above 650? Do you think I could apply to Exeter or Bristol is a better idea. I also have 7A*s and 3 As.
During Decision Making I did not waste those 30 mins, I wrote every single pattern I could think of so I could simultaneously apply all of them to the question in hand, I managed to get all the patterns but 1, I think i know it now flip sake. And I rinsed medify and ukcat ninja plus ukcat practice mocks, so I believe I knew most patterns. I found them to be questions where you just knew the patterns, some that I did not know could be worked out fairly quickly and I just skipped those before coming back to them!

Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you, like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASTK98
Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you off like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks and even if there was that the case I just applied the first pattern that came to my head and did not hesitate, advancing through the sets is key and not wasting time just stuck on one, at the end I had 1.5 mins spare to check my answers.
Hi I sat my UKCAT today and I did well;

VR:550 (Really hard for me, computer was like 28" and text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally,dpmo)
QR:830 (Kinda easy, skipped two sets and some questions)
AR:820 (Nice patterns for me aha)
SJT: Band 2 (Dont be complacent, they bombard you with chunky paragraphs and only ask two questions, dpmo, I was left with time (3mins) to check my answers up to half way I reckon)

Average:733.33

Im a Gap Year student wanting to study Dentistry;
GCSE's: 1A* 10A 2B (Eng Lang)
Alevel A*AA Maths,Bio,Chem respectively

where can I apply?
Thanks

Amazing result - well done!!! Any tips for QR?? I'm really struggling for time :/

I'm also a gap year student wanting to study dentistry haha :smile:
How similar is official UKCAT mock 2 compared to the real thing??
anyone has a medify account, that I can use?
any suggestions on how to improve for VR??? especially timing wise :/
Original post by CSD99
You're actually my twin😂 I've just seen this and we have almost identical stats:u:KCATaverage:703VR:530(wtf I know)QR:850😜AR:730Sjt: band 2GCSE: 7A* 4AsAS: 4AsA2 Predictions: A* A* A (in the process of getting the A changed to an A*)+I also want to apply to Kings as my top choice hahah

Hii! Congrats on your UKCAT score! 700+ is really good :smile: where else are you thinking of applying?
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Amazing result - well done!!! Any tips for QR?? I'm really struggling for time :/

I'm also a gap year student wanting to study dentistry haha :smile:

In decision making you have 30 mins; in this time study for ar and qr, for ar write out patterns or any acronyms you know and for qr write out all the formulas you need to know on several pages of the whiteboard.

I started QR and immediately encountered 2 sets that would require me to spend ages on just trying to work them out so I skipped ahead and found questions that asked me to calculate averages, simple subtraction/addition, work out percentage changes, use pie charts and ratios. I did all of these and then came back to them at the end and still could not complete them so I guessed, its all about identifying your flaws and moving on, the last few questions are the easiest, one step questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
hi, is this the only medicine 2017 entry related thread going about the now or are there other ones? would be good to talk about stuff like personal statement, work experience, volunteering and interviews when it comes to it.

If not we should start one or once UKCAT season is over turn this into just a general Medicine 2017 entry thread, what do yous thing:smile:?
Original post by hopeforunderdog
you defo still have a chance for Dundee. I know someone who just started at Dundee and she got about the same average as you last year:smile:

Thanks for your reply:smile: and congrats on your score

hey sniper don...do you think you can write some of those patterns down for us on here :smile: congrats on ur good score :smile:...
xx
Original post by Orangeflower6
Everyone needs to stop worrying about interim results. Those results represent 10431 of around 22000 registered (according to UKCAT twitter). So if over half of the people sitting the UKCAT are doing the UKCAT from 11th Sept onwards, I would say the averages will fall by probably 20ish. Generally, those who do better take it earlier. If over half were still left to take it, along with A2 and other stresses, I do not think those results are representative at all. That's my opinion anyway.

This makes me feel so much happier

Posted from TSR Mobile
did my ukcat today, all I can say is the real quantitative is a lot easier than medify or the 600 questions book - it was my worst area while practicing, but was the best in the real thing.

I got average 646 which is quite shite, have achieved AAA in my A levels and am applying as a gap year student. Any tips on where to apply?

Spoiler

Original post by abzz11
Guys I'm applying with acheieved grades and so do you think they will be more lenient with my ukcat?

I am too! and from what I've seen is unis that use a point system will give higher points to achieved grades vs predicted grades (eg Leicester uni for example) , but i dont think they'll be any more lenient with ukcat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending