Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    I already find VR hard as it is and people are saying it's so much harder than mocks. I'm gonna get like 450 when I do it on Monday...smh.
    My test is on monday too omg omg and im freaking out the same... My worst section is VR as well... In both my medify mocks I did the worst in VR

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if someone's brought this up before but has anyone else realised when you create a free account on UKCAT Ninja it gives you access to their question bank and 2 mock tests? Weird, but I'm not complaining tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    Dunno if someone's brought this up before but has anyone else realised when you create a free account on UKCAT Ninja it gives you access to their question bank and 2 mock tests? Weird, but I'm not complaining tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The maths in there seem too easy tho? Or is it like the real thing?

But yeh I've noticed and done both. But the mock includes the questions from their question bank. So do the mocks first if u want a representative test result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Everyone needs to stop worrying about interim results. Those results represent 10431 of around 22000 registered (according to UKCAT twitter). So if over half of the people sitting the UKCAT are doing the UKCAT from 11th Sept onwards, I would say the averages will fall by probably 20ish. Generally, those who do better take it earlier. If over half were still left to take it, along with A2 and other stresses, I do not think those results are representative at all. That's my opinion anyway.
    Thank you, that makes me feel so much better 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    The maths in there seem too easy tho? Or is it like the real thing?

But yeh I've noticed and done both. But the mock includes the questions from their question bank. So do the mocks first if u want a representative test result
    Pretty sure QR in the exam is of similar difficulty, at least that's what I remember when I took the test last year. QR on medify is quite a bit harder than the actual exam imo, a lot more data and complex calculations than you'd usually get. And cheers, will do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I sat my UKCAT today and I did well;

VR:550 (Really hard for me, computer was like 28" and text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally,dpmo)
    QR:830 (Kinda easy, skipped two sets and some questions)
    AR:820 (Nice patterns for me aha)
    SJT: Band 2 (Dont be complacent, they bombard you with chunky paragraphs and only ask two questions, dpmo, I was left with time (3mins) to check my answers up to half way I reckon)

Average:733.33

Im a Gap Year student wanting to study Dentistry;
    GCSE's: 1A* 10A 2B (Eng Lang)
    Alevel A*AA Maths,Bio,Chem respectively

where can I apply?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

so I done my UKCAT yesterday and I can happily say that it went well Here's my breakdown and I'll let yous know what I thought of the exam and how it compares to resources.

VR: 670
    QR: 750
    AR: 720
    SJ: Band 1

averaged at 713.3

So first of all, the only negative really is that VR is slightly harder than the Medify mocks (sorry to say for anyone who struggles with this). On the other hand QR is WAY easier. This was by far my worst section when studying and was getting low 600's and sometimes in the 500's and so I was really shocked when it turned out this was my best section on the day. AR is around the same maybe slightly easier and SJ is basically the same.

Hope it goes well for everyone still to sit theirs!

also if anyone could tell me what my chances are for the Scottish uni's with this score, that'd be great

Also if anyone wants a Medify membership, pm me and I'll give you the login details as I have 16 days remaining and seems stupid to let it go to waste when someone could be getting use out of it. Obviously you wont be able to do the mocks as you can only do them once but you'll have the rest of the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCMXCVIII)
    Is the UKCAT calculator on the day backspace or esc to delete? People are saying different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was backspace I checked today when I sat my exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    It was backspace I checked today when I sat my exam
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal
    The thing is Plymouth Dentistry went into clearing this year and I was chosen for an interview with 612.5, in mid August, unfortunately I had one day to prepare for the interview so was unlucky, however, this year I've got 733.33 av, so chin up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyemma)
    Hey guys! I did my UKCAT this morning and I got
    VR-550
    QR-790
    AR-620
    SJ-Band 1
    Do you think I still have a chance for HYMS and Dundee? Also any unis I should avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you defo still have a chance for Dundee. I know someone who just started at Dundee and she got about the same average as you last year

ReputationRep:

VR:550 (Really hard for me, computer was like 28" and text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally,dpmo)
    SJT: Band 2 (Dont be complacent, they bombard you with chunky paragraphs and only ask two questions, dpmo, I was left with time (3mins) to check my answers up to half way I reckon)

where can I apply?
    Thanks
    Pretty much anywhere I think lol, especially as Dentistry cut offs are lower than Med ones and you'd probably still be able to apply to all Med schools sith that score. Was the AR section of similar difficulty to the questions in medify or easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCMXCVIII)
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Use these shortcuts they were IMPORTANT for me in the exam
    Alt+N - to advance a question saves you moving the mouse, ukcat is all about speed, plus you can do this solely with your left hand so you save time
    Alt+P - to go back a question
    Alt+C - to bring up calc
    Alt+F - Flag a question

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much anywhere I think lol, especially as Dentistry cut offs are lower than Med ones and you'd probably still be able to apply to all Med schools sith that score. Was the AR section of similar difficulty to the questions in medify or easier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    During Decision Making I did not waste those 30 mins, I wrote every single pattern I could think of so I could simultaneously apply all of them to the question in hand, I managed to get all the patterns but 1, I think i know it now flip sake. And I rinsed medify and ukcat ninja plus ukcat practice mocks, so I believe I knew most patterns. I found them to be questions where you just knew the patterns, some that I did not know could be worked out fairly quickly and I just skipped those before coming back to them!

ReputationRep:
    Do unis tend to judge your average score or each individual section? I got a great QR(850)but my worst ever VR(530) and I'm worried about that affecting my application.

*overall score 2110 by the way, 730 in AR)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal
    Thank you so much!! I am trying to choose between Bristol and Exeter. I heart that Exeter wants above 650? Do you think I could apply to Exeter or Bristol is a better idea. I also have 7A*s and 3 As.

ReputationRep:
    During Decision Making I did not waste those 30 mins, I wrote every single pattern I could think of so I could simultaneously apply all of them to the question in hand, I managed to get all the patterns but 1, I think i know it now flip sake. And I rinsed medify and ukcat ninja plus ukcat practice mocks, so I believe I knew most patterns. I found them to be questions where you just knew the patterns, some that I did not know could be worked out fairly quickly and I just skipped those before coming back to them!
    Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you, like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough. Cos on medify they often have those weird patterns with like 5/6 different conditions that throw you off like "odd number of shapes, more black than white, triangle and quadrilateral present and circle is striped" or something like that 😂, congrats on your score once again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks and even if there was that the case I just applied the first pattern that came to my head and did not hesitate, advancing through the sets is key and not wasting time just stuck on one, at the end I had 1.5 mins spare to check my answers.

ReputationRep:

where can I apply?
    Thanks
    Amazing result - well done!!! Any tips for QR?? I'm really struggling for time :/

I'm also a gap year student wanting to study dentistry haha

ReputationRep:
    How similar is official UKCAT mock 2 compared to the real thing??

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.