CTAM: Count to a million and be the first forum to do it (Part 10)

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I know what you mean...

There should be something that stops anyone from impersonating another member, for example, if a very similar username is going to be created, there is something to stop that username from being created for the use of impersonation.

Alternatively, do what Digital Spy does - and have a system whereby every account that is created, has to be validated by a moderator, and if the account is not validated, then the user cannot post with the account. Thus, any impostor accounts would be refused validation.

Yeah but two problems: defining 'very similar' and staffing levels on TSR! I was thinking more of an IP or e-mail block: preventing any new accounts from being made from there: I don't know if such a thing exists or is possible?

04MR17, some of your posts are out by 1, can you edit please? Thanks
    Oops. Thanks all good now.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    104802Yeah but two problems: defining 'very similar' and staffing levels on TSR! I was thinking more of an IP or e-mail block: preventing any new accounts from being made from there: I don't know if such a thing exists or is possible?

Oops. Thanks all good now.
    IP and email blocks are certainly possible on forums since I know of a phpBB forum that I have admin privileges of - and IP/email bans are certainly possible.

As for manually validating every account, it'd be a good idea, but as you said, I doubt the Community Team (or Support Team!) have time for that...

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am trying to get CTAM moving as quickly as possible

04MR17, some of your posts are out by 1, can you edit please? Thanks
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    IP and email blocks are certainly possible on forums since I know of a phpBB forum that I have admin privileges of - and IP/email bans are certainly possible.

As for manually validating every account, it'd be a good idea, but as you said, I doubt the Community Team (or Support Team!) have time for that...
    Shall I AtCT?

ReputationRep:

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.