?
Report 10 years ago
Offer today, for straight Govt.

jcb309
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay so my school got sent an email from the LSE, asking why I wasn't taking German as a first language for IB.. as in German A1 or A2. I take German B Higher Level and have lived in Germany for 13 years. I currently have a 7 and am predicted a 7. My school does NOT offer German A1 or A2. Should I be worried that this might jeopardise my chances? I've applied for Social Anthropology by the way...
I have an offer from UCL for 34 points, but I REAAAALLLYY want to go to LSE!!!
rick89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
guys, i applied on 1 December. Got A-level grades already. Is it weird i haven't heard anything from lse since? I thought it'd be easier for them to give decisions if i already got the grade.
Moveslowly
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eve_22)
Aren't you supposed to ask whether Oxford is indeed my firm choice, before making sarcastic comments...LOL :rolleyes:
There's no such need. LoL. Btw, congrats on your Oxford =)
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rick89)
guys, i applied on 1 December. Got A-level grades already. Is it weird i haven't heard anything from lse since? I thought it'd be easier for them to give decisions if i already got the grade.
I applied in SEPTEMBER and I still haven't heard back even though I already have my grades (applying post A-level).
kitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Krazy007)
hi guys.....well itz my first post on TSR....although i have been following this thread for quite a long time now.....i have to admit it was really helpful nd kind of fun too....nd i just got an offer for management sciences today.....yaaaayyyyyy....
oh no... I didn't... posibilities of been rejected next week increase... :'(
Beef_Eater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just got a warning for my blender comment lol lol....people need to lighten up these days....anyways well done on LSE offers and for people who are still waiting, good luck, you're still in with a chance.

moleymus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Beef_Eater
what do you mean when you say you have been short-listed for accounting and finance?
I am curious since I have applied to most of the same univercities as you
Beef_Eater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moleymus)
Beef_Eater
what do you mean when you say you have been short-listed for accounting and finance?
I am curious since I have applied to most of the same univercities as you
Read my thread, click on my profile then clock on find threads started by Beef_Eater....Its this email you get
JohnKennedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What course are you applying to Swayum?
gilash89
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Economist1)
I heard this from a teacher, and this was corroborated by the fact that a friend (with grades slightly better than my own) only got his offer today.

It's an excellent yet horrible position to be in at the same time. I've visited both places, but I think I'll go one more time. With regards to my career, I want to keep my options at the moment. As far as I was aware, LSE enjoyed better links with employers, and although Cambridhe has a better reputation for producing academicians, surely there wont be a bar on LSE graduates who want to become academics either? But did you read the recent FT article which seemd to be suggesting that banks were looking more towards Oxbridge than LSE with regards to recruitment? Anyway, to be able to put down Trinity College, Cambridge on my CV is probably something that I'll never get the opportunity to do again.

I wish you the best of luck with your applications.
Its just a myth that LSE enjoys better links with employers. While it probably is true that a higher percentage of people from LSE go on to work in the city as compared to Cambridge, employers will definitely not place an LSE graduate above a Cambridge one. In fact in management consultancy where there is strong competition, limited places and better quality of work than say Investment Banking, the big three firms (Bain, McKinsey and BCG) generally only recruit oxbridge graduates and it is very rare that an LSE graduate will get a place. Banks don't really have preferences; they just want Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/a few others and a 2:1. Plus as you mentioned Trinity College, Cambridge adds another something special to your CV and I would consider it a crime if you turned them down!
jessieb*
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QBC123)
really only one offers day?! Maybe they aren't just keeping me so they have someone to reject for fun at the end!
I think there must have been more than one offer day for law because my law offer was 12th Dec not 28th Nov...I don't understand LSE!!
ramr
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys. Have an unconditional offer to study decision science MSc. Is there any body else who has recd. similar offer.. Keep me posted
dudette321
Report 10 years ago
hey
got a rejection from LSE for economics (L100)
does anyone know the email address on which i can contact the admissions tutor for details on the decision??
thanks
QBC123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dudette321)
hey
got a rejection from LSE for economics (L100)
does anyone know the email address on which i can contact the admisssions tutor for details on the decision??
thanks
ah shame! when did you get it? Last Monday Im guessing?! Also check the website www.lse.ac.uk for the contact info!
facetious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
not really, I tried to lighten the mood and you said it weren't funny so I just wanted to know what was funny... *rolls eyes*
was funny.. the first time. then it got a bit boring.. dont see the point of repeating the same joke i suppose, but whatever floats your boat.
MarcoWilding27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For all those people holding offers please join the facebook society LSE freshers 2009 2010

rick89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
I applied in SEPTEMBER and I still haven't heard back even though I already have my grades (applying post A-level).
at least you had offers from imperial and ucl. I haven't got a thing
kingh-singh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As a Scottish student looking to do accounting and finance at LSE what grades roughly will I need at standard grade, higher, and advanced higher?

Also what sort of stuff is good to have on my personal statement? Do I need to do relevent work experience or just anything to show that I am committed etc. Also how much extra curricular activites such as charity work, music and sport should I have?

Thanks
Roundabout
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gilash89)
Its just a myth that LSE enjoys better links with employers. While it probably is true that a higher percentage of people from LSE go on to work in the city as compared to Cambridge, employers will definitely not place an LSE graduate above a Cambridge one.
I think the higher percentage of people from LSE going to banking is due to the fact that a lot of the people going to LSE already know that they want to do banking in the future.

In fact, I heard from an E&M student at Oxford that the majority of E&M students there are not interested in banking. Since only 90ish students graduate from Oxford E&M a year, of which let's say half apply to banking, there are only 40ish students + students from other subjects (with probably a far smaller proportion of aspiring bankers) wanting to do banking. According to the stats, 13.7% of all Oxford students go on to work for "financial services or consultancy" - of which probably far less than half are bankers.

I am not entirely sure, but I'd think that Econ students at Cambridge (170 students/year) are similar to those at Oxford, with a big proportion not going to banking. I actually found stats to support this, 20 Econ students and 47 from other degrees, altogether 67 students of the 1900 respondents, went to do banking after Cambridge undergrad. Since there are approximately the same amount of students at Oxford and Oxford doesn't seem to have any particular banker-reputation, I would guess that for Oxbridge altogether, perhaps around 200-300 students go to banking each year (taking into account the fact that not all graduates reply to the surveys)

LSE, on the other hand, with its over 1000 students graduating/year and banker-breeding reputation (~40% end up in financial services/consultancy), would probably have more people, even in absolute terms, wanting to do banking than Oxbridge. Thus it might be easier for someone interested in banking from Oxbridge to differentiate themselves from the crowd than someone from LSE.

Of course, the value of this differentiation in terms of getting the job is probably minute, and, in any case, Oxbridge/LSE graduates will have a great shot at banking. I just wanted to play around with stats for a while. :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%