Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Does anyone know how likely it is to start a teaching post before summer?

The reason I ask is my course finishes on the 3rd of July and that leaves 2 weeks before the kids break up. I really want to go and visit my family in Thailand and it is £450 more to go in the school holidays. :eek:

Anyway I have heard that when people get posts for September they are often asked to start at the end of the Summer term, I was wondering how often this happens? I'm EYFS/ KS1.
    Welcome to the downside of teaching holidays.

I teach secondary, so it may be different for primary, but it's not usual for us. (Don't recall it ever happening.)

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be OK to book your trip for when the PGCE course ends.

When you have a job lined up for September, your school might offer you the chance to start work earlier so that you are familiar with the school and pupils and can hit the ground running when you start properly. It's also an opportunity to earn a bit of extra cash. I think this happens more in Primary, but I don't know how common it is.

But I doubt that your ability to work in July would affect your chance of getting the job in the first place (if the job is advertised as a September start).

Once you have been offered a job, if the school contacts you to ask if you can spend some time in school in July, you will just have to tell them that you have a pre-booked holiday. They should accept that as they couldn't expect you to keep the time free in the off-chance that you would be offered work.

Of course, once you start your job you'll just have to get used to the fact that holidays are expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help both of you I am going to email my course leader and ask her opinion as well.

I know they will be much more expensive, but at least the next summer I should have a salary to help me pay for things and not just student loans.

ReputationRep:
    I have my september job and they asked me to start beginning of july so they can get me working on their behavioural policy as its quite tightly run where Im going. Im secondary though. My understanding is that you take it where offered as that then means you get paid over the summer holidays. I booked my honeymoon for the summer and just didnt want to risk getting offered a July contract so booked it for the week after the end of the summer term and its a good thing i did!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    I have my september job and they asked me to start beginning of july so they can get me working on their behavioural policy as its quite tightly run where Im going. Im secondary though. My understanding is that you take it where offered as that then means you get paid over the summer holidays. I booked my honeymoon for the summer and just didnt want to risk getting offered a July contract so booked it for the week after the end of the summer term and its a good thing i did!!
    Did they mention the July start after they offered you the job, or before? Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for places or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Did they mention the July start after they offered you the job, or before? Wondering if it would be a dealbreaker for places or not.
    They actively asked me before the interview (during the lunch bit) if i was offered the job would i be able/interested in starting in July. In my case im in a shortage subject so i guess i have more to bargain with (if that makes sense) but if you were up against multiple peeps i do wonder whether it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Does anyone know how likely it is to start a teaching post before summer?

The reason I ask is my course finishes on the 3rd of July and that leaves 2 weeks before the kids break up. I really want to go and visit my family in Thailand and it is £450 more to go in the school holidays. :eek:

Anyway I have heard that when people get posts for September they are often asked to start at the end of the Summer term, I was wondering how often this happens? I'm EYFS/ KS1.
    I got an NQT job this week and I'm starting in July and being paid over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    They actively asked me before the interview (during the lunch bit) if i was offered the job would i be able/interested in starting in July. In my case im in a shortage subject so i guess i have more to bargain with (if that makes sense) but if you were up against multiple peeps i do wonder whether it could be.
    Ah okay, that is interesting to know, thanks. I guess in that situation, I'd just have to say yes, even though I wouldn't want to :ninja: .

(Original post by Chewyy)
    I got an NQT job this week and I'm starting in July and being paid over the summer.
    Can I ask the same question as I asked Ratchit - did they ask if you would start in July, before or after the interview? Well done btw!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask the same question as I asked Ratchit - did they ask if you would start in July, before or after the interview? Well done btw!
    They said at the end of the interview that I can come in July as a sort of r&r allowance to get to know staff and get settled in. I saw it as a perk so I said yes, but I think it would have been alright if I said I could only start in September.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Welcome to the downside of teaching holidays.

I teach secondary, so it may be different for primary, but it's not usual for us. (Don't recall it ever happening.)
    I think it depends where you are geographically. We have given every NQT a July start for the last 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I think it depends where you are geographically. We have given every NQT a July start for the last 10 years.
    Really? Oh well, another point at which I am at variance with the world, then. Maybe our place can't (or won't) afford to pay them over the holidays. Actually, I bet that's it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to meet all of your standard in the second placement alone? It seems I did not organised my QTS folder as well as I could have on my first placement. To be honest, I did not have a clue of what was going on during my first placement. Thankfully, I now know what is going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    What do the NQTs do in July? Will I teach and take a full timetable of lessons?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewyy)
    What do the NQTs do in July? Will I teach and take a full timetable of lessons?
    You might have a programme of induction, get to know your Department, help out a bit, get involved with Schemes of Work, take on one or two classes you will have the following year ...

ReputationRep:
    Feeling a bit crap about jobs today. I mean, I don't even think I want to teach my subject at 11-16 level, but I at least want the option after putting myself through the PGCE!

There's only been a couple of jobs come up and for every job it has specified that you must have an R.E. degree. This has really pissed me off, to be blunt. Why let me on the course with a politics degree if I won't be able to get a job anyway? I blame the uni for that rather than the schools.

So yeah...feeling pretty hopeless. I'm not praying that a politics A-Level job comes up in my area, but I wouldn't bet on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You might have a programme of induction, get to know your Department, help out a bit, get involved with Schemes of Work, take on one or two classes you will have the following year ...
    Ok thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, that is interesting to know, thanks. I guess in that situation, I'd just have to say yes, even though I wouldn't want to :ninja: .

Of the two jobs I've interviewed for, both stated the start in their advertisement - one July and the other September.

ReputationRep:
    I have got some 'enrichment weeks' coming up soon, where I go back to my first placement school to work on targets/collect data for my assignments etc, and I am really not looking forward to it, but I'm not use why. I think I would rather be starting somewhere new, instead of that awkward thing of knowing people to see, but not well enough to have a conversation with. Plus the school is very clique-y, and I am a shy person so it takes me a while to get comfortable with people I don't know.

There is not a structure to the weeks, we are supposed to organise it ourselves. The thought of teaching again, especially classes I have not built up a relationship with (I am doing primary) is making me anxious. I think I am at the low point of the course, I am just feeling a bit down about the whole thing, for no reason in particular. Just needed a bit of a moan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Having a part time job at the same time will kill you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do the PGCE so anything on top of that is probably going to be too much.

I barely even see my family now and I have a couple of hours a week where I just sit down with my fiancée and that's a luxury that many don't seem to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    I think that may be pushing it. I did the PGCE last year and worked 9 hours a week and at times 12. It's doable but it needs good organisation and, if you're lucky, mentors who don't expect that much from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I guess I'll just see how I go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    . I think I am at the low point of the course, I am just feeling a bit down about the whole thing, for no reason in particular. Just needed a bit of a moan
    I feel exactly the same. It's been a hard month!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.