Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Fair point.

I agree with that, Cooper has a more central rhetoric and Burnham is trying to get second preferences from Corbyn.
    From what I can tell Cooper is actually more left-wing than Burnham. The most clear dividing line between them is their position on the banking crash - Burnham believes Labour should apologise for overspending, Cooper doesn't. Burnham's rhetoric has certainly shifted leftwards to try and steal Corbyn votes I agree.
    It isn't but it is at least a policy and she hasn't outlined many of those.
    She does have a fair few actually (look on her website for a reasonable start), she's just been pretty awful at getting them across in a way people can identify her with.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm curious for those voting in the RL election to tell me why the refugee position of Cooper is apparently a big positive for her. Since she'd not be PM for another 4+ years at best, she can't actually let them in until at least 2020 and they can't exactly wait for her.
    For me it's a case of showing she's ready to lead the opposition, something Burnham excelled at before Corbyn really began to take off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    From what I can tell Cooper is actually more left-wing than Burnham. The most clear dividing line between them is their position on the banking crash - Burnham believes Labour should apologise for overspending, Cooper doesn't. Burnham's rhetoric has certainly shifted leftwards to try and steal Corbyn votes I agree.
    Burnhams pretty much a blairite but the policies he's set out mostly forced upon are more left wing than Coopers and he'd pretty much have to stick to them.

She does have a fair few actually (look on her website for a reasonable start), she's just been pretty awful at getting them across in a way people can identify her with.
    They're mostly very broad policy statements though. The trade union one is good but the 'confident outward looking Britain' is overly Europhilic for my liking.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Who do you think is going to be the London Mayor candidate to take on Sian Berry and Zac Goldsmith?
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I love Sadiq, I actually wanted him to run for the Leadership, but I don't think he'll win Labour's candidacy for mayor, let alone the mayoral race.
    I'm backing Sadiq (even met the man at a phone bank and secured a coveted selfie) and think he can win the candidacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I'm backing Sadiq (even met the man at a phone bank and secured a coveted selfie) and think he can win the candidacy.
    A selfie! How last year!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    A selfie! How last year!
    Lol. I don't think using the front-facing camera is going to die out anytime soon.

ReputationRep:

For me it's a case of showing she's ready to lead the opposition, something Burnham excelled at before Corbyn really began to take off.
    I have read that they may only give corbyn one year
    Google corbyn has until may to prove himself
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Tahret)
    I don't quite understand how Burnham managed to throw his opportunity away to be honest. By the time Corbyn's done ruining the party, Chuka (your money away) will be ready to take the reins.
    And good for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    I have read that they may only give corbyn one year
    Google corbyn has until may to prove himself
    From what I've read it sounds like 18 months rather than a year but still, not a particularly long time. I think JC needs a few rounds of elections (council, by-elections, EU etc.) with the full support of the party to prove himself. If no discernible improvement is seen, or we regress, we can't make the same mistake we did last time and be willing to go down on a sinking ship, so if 2-3 years down the line it's not looking likely that whoever the leader is will win in 2020 I'd support their removal.

Who do you mean by 'they'? Labour is a very broad church and people like Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper have different politics to Simon Danzcuk and Liz Kendall.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with any Sadiq love. Gutted he didn't stand for the leadership.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read it sounds like 18 months rather than a year but still, not a particularly long time. I think JC needs a few rounds of elections (council, by-elections, EU etc.) with the full support of the party to prove himself. If no discernible improvement is seen, or we regress, we can't make the same mistake we did last time and be willing to go down on a sinking ship, so if 2-3 years down the line it's not looking likely that whoever the leader is will win in 2020 I'd support their removal.

Who do you mean by 'they'? Labour is a very broad church and people like Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper have different politics to Simon Danzcuk and Liz Kendall.
    If a certaimn amount of MPS who do not support him he will be overhauled
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Isn't a black leader basically the one main minority group left for labour to be first at, having already lost all the others to the Tories?
    Well, I suppose there is always trans and some of the non Christian religions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Isn't a black leader basically the one main minority group left for labour to be first at, having already lost all the others to the Tories?
    Well, I suppose there is always trans and some of the non Christian religions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the other minority groups 'lost'? Female leader - Thatcher. Can't really think of any others.
    And its not a competition - let's not forget how ancient the Tory Party actually is.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Agree with any Sadiq love. Gutted he didn't stand for the leadership.
    I thought he'd make a good leader too - though I suspect he might give it a go at some point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    What are the other minority groups 'lost'? Female leader - Thatcher. Can't really think of any others.
    And its not a competition - let's not forget how ancient the Tory Party actually is.
    Possibly counting Disraeli (jewish) even though the Labour party didnt exist then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not like planting the flag at the North Pole, also Thatcher was anything but a feminist, I think it's fine for her to be tough to adapt to the macho environment but I really dislike the fact swathes of women consider her inspirational purely for being a women, when surely they should be looking to make the environment less macho, not accepting and beating it, like Thatcher.

I do despise voting for a woman purely as she's a woman, that's a disgraceful attitude (which is why I loathe Cooper)

Labour tries harder and does more for the women vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Possibly counting Disraeli (jewish) even though the Labour party didnt exist then.
    But wasn't Disraeli Jewish by descent rather than religion? In that respect we had Ed Miliband.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But wasn't Disraeli Jewish by descent rather than religion? In that respect we had Ed Miliband.
    Ed counts as a jew because his father was, does that also make him a Marxist?

I don't believe that for a second, but the Daily Mail did

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and he converted to anglicanism when he was 12 so he qualifies less than Miliband. Then again he was first so we were 'beaten'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Personally I don't view the Jews as a race (I don't even like the separate crime of anti-Semitism) so in that sense, unless they actually believed then no.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that comment but all of that will be irrelevant after the leadership election is finished as either Burngam orbyn iwill win. I do not want kendall she makes Tony Blair look left wing
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It's not like planting the flag at the North Pole, also Thatcher was anything but a feminist, I think it's fine for her to be tough to adapt to the macho environment but I really dislike the fact swathes of women consider her inspirational purely for being a women, when surely they should be looking to make the environment less macho, not accepting and beating it, like Thatcher.

I do despise voting for a woman purely as she's a woman, that's a disgraceful attitude (which is why I loathe Cooper)

Labour tries harder and does more for the women vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.