David Lammy re-elected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
We will most likely have the 3rd largest vote share.
But with the fall of Nigel I think you will fall...
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Not if this is reflected in the polls. We could be facing a 18 seats Tory if that's the case!!!
Hmm I think TSR is slightly more inclined towards Labour on the whole. Then again, the side poll could be totally wrong. I do still expect UKIP to do better than it predicts.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
It's not the policies, it's the rhetoric. Defend immigration, nationalise the railways, criticise the savage welfare cuts that have killed the disabled, and advocate economic rebalance, Keynsianism and public investment. The economy will be fine, and you'd win a majority. How the **** do you think you're going to beat the Tories by saying largely the same thing?!
They did criticise Tory cuts. Considering the economic policies of the Tories are working on an economic level (if not a social one) it's hard fro Labour to get the balance right.

Given Labour needed to reclaim the centre of English politics, it had to make itself look economically tenable, but at the same time look left enough to stop the looney parties. I think on a factual, economic level, Ed got the balance right. What he simply could not control, however was the Scottish people's irrational nature. You'd think that after the Nazis, Imperialalism, the Napoleonic wars, the troubles etc that people would just wise the **** up and give up nationalism.

Basically, Labour could go too far left, and lose England, or too far right, and lose Scotland. Ed made a valient attempt to get the balance right.

Keynsianism and public investment? Most people think that Labour caused the economic crisis by overspending. Saying "yeah we're going to borrow more and more and more" isn't advisable.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Scotland have stabbed the UK in the back. We should punish them by actually encouraging their independence. Then when their children are all starving because they have no idea how to govern themselves don't let them come back out of pure spite.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Scotland have stabbed the UK in the back. We should punish them by actually encouraging their independence. Then when their children are all starving because they have no idea how to govern themselves don't let them come back out of pure spite.
This. This I like!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Thank you so much, it will be worth it.
Was greatto hear that despite all the earlier polling suggersting UKIP would keep Balls in, he will in fact lose his seat. Off to one of the other member's flats to watch a few more hours now, just picking up some Port and Rum.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ed Davey loses his seat. LD's falling like stones.

Galloway has apparently lost his seat. Respect members have left the hall before the announcement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They did criticise Tory cuts. Considering the economic policies of the Tories are working on an economic level (if not a social one) it's hard fro Labour to get the balance right.

Given Labour needed to reclaim the centre of English politics, it had to make itself look economically tenable, but at the same time look left enough to stop the looney parties. I think on a factual, economic level, Ed got the balance right. What he simply could not control, however was the Scottish people's irrational nature. You'd think that after the Nazis, Imperialalism, the Napoleonic wars, the troubles etc that people would just wise the **** up and give up nationalism.

Basically, Labour could go too far left, and lose England, or too far right, and lose Scotland. Ed made a valient attempt to get the balance right.

Keynsianism and public investment? Most people think that Labour caused the economic crisis by overspending. Saying "yeah we're going to borrow more and more and more" isn't advisable.
No, they're not. They've borrowed huge amounts despite severely damaging crucial public services and only created unstable and insecure jobs. And you're attitude is precisely why the SNP has done so well, I don't see how you can't see that.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know if the Calder Valley result is in yet? The Guardian update thingi is not doing that well at announcing every result...
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Does anyone know if the Calder Valley result is in yet? The Guardian update thingi is not doing that well at announcing every result...
Not in yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Not in yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, Petros.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, Petros.
No problem. I've been using google. Just type in "election"

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
No, they're not. They've borrowed huge amounts despite severely damaging crucial public services and only created unstable and insecure jobs. And you're attitude is precisely why the SNP has done so well, I don't see how you can't see that.
>Thinks the Tories have failed economically because they've borrowed (as if you can just, stop borrowing)

> Says Labour should keep the economy strong by going back to pre crash levels of borrowing.

What lol?

I'm sorry that taking the intelligent and pragmatic approach as opposed to hysteria is turning the Scots away from real politics.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
God I've missed a whole load of results - damn labour!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm really scared for my LD MP :/ Shes such a good MP too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
No problem. I've been using google. Just type in "election"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh brilliant, thanks!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh brilliant, thanks!
No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not pleased with the Scottish people atm. They've ruined everything for everyone.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not pleased with the Scottish people atm. They've ruined everything for everyone.
Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads