Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone has a medify account, that I can use?

ReputationRep:
    any suggestions on how to improve for VR??? especially timing wise :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSD99)
    You're actually my twin😂 I've just seen this and we have almost identical statsKCATaverage:703VR:530(wtf I know)QR:850😜AR:730Sjt: band 2GCSE: 7A* 4AsAS: 4AsA2 Predictions: A* A* A (in the process of getting the A changed to an A*)+I also want to apply to Kings as my top choice hahah
    Hii! Congrats on your UKCAT score! 700+ is really good where else are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Amazing result - well done!!! Any tips for QR?? I'm really struggling for time :/

I'm also a gap year student wanting to study dentistry haha
    In decision making you have 30 mins; in this time study for ar and qr, for ar write out patterns or any acronyms you know and for qr write out all the formulas you need to know on several pages of the whiteboard.

I started QR and immediately encountered 2 sets that would require me to spend ages on just trying to work them out so I skipped ahead and found questions that asked me to calculate averages, simple subtraction/addition, work out percentage changes, use pie charts and ratios. I did all of these and then came back to them at the end and still could not complete them so I guessed, its all about identifying your flaws and moving on, the last few questions are the easiest, one step questions.

ReputationRep:
    hi, is this the only medicine 2017 entry related thread going about the now or are there other ones? would be good to talk about stuff like personal statement, work experience, volunteering and interviews when it comes to it.

If not we should start one or once UKCAT season is over turn this into just a general Medicine 2017 entry thread, what do yous thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    you defo still have a chance for Dundee. I know someone who just started at Dundee and she got about the same average as you last year
    Thanks for your reply and congrats on your score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    During Decision Making I did not waste those 30 mins, I wrote every single pattern I could think of so I could simultaneously apply all of them to the question in hand, I managed to get all the patterns but 1, I think i know it now flip sake. And I rinsed medify and ukcat ninja plus ukcat practice mocks, so I believe I knew most patterns. I found them to be questions where you just knew the patterns, some that I did not know could be worked out fairly quickly and I just skipped those before coming back to them!
    hey sniper don...do you think you can write some of those patterns down for us on here congrats on ur good score ...
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Everyone needs to stop worrying about interim results. Those results represent 10431 of around 22000 registered (according to UKCAT twitter). So if over half of the people sitting the UKCAT are doing the UKCAT from 11th Sept onwards, I would say the averages will fall by probably 20ish. Generally, those who do better take it earlier. If over half were still left to take it, along with A2 and other stresses, I do not think those results are representative at all. That's my opinion anyway.
    This makes me feel so much happier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    did my ukcat today, all I can say is the real quantitative is a lot easier than medify or the 600 questions book - it was my worst area while practicing, but was the best in the real thing.

I got average 646 which is quite shite, have achieved AAA in my A levels and am applying as a gap year student. Any tips on where to apply?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also my medify account is still active for like one day, if anyone is interested and willing to sell me their soul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzz11)
    Guys I'm applying with acheieved grades and so do you think they will be more lenient with my ukcat?
    I am too! and from what I've seen is unis that use a point system will give higher points to achieved grades vs predicted grades (eg Leicester uni for example) , but i dont think they'll be any more lenient with ukcat

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, quick/strange question, can you go to the toilet during the DA section? May want to wash my face to keep me alert for the questions which actually matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    Hi there, quick/strange question, can you go to the toilet during the DA section? May want to wash my face to keep me alert for the questions which actually matter...
    Yeah I did that today loool

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im abit worried as I still haven't recieved an email from Pearson regarding applications with the UKCAT. Should i email them first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sullyomo)
    Yeah I did that today loool
    Haha great minds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella909)
    No sorry, probably not, better luck next time
    Are they using very high thresholds this year do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    hey sniper don...do you think you can write some of those patterns down for us on here congrats on ur good score ...
    xx
    all the patterns I know are from;
    medify
    uckat practice mocks
    ukcat ninja
    600 ukcat book

I learnt the acronym SSSPN, Size, Shape, Shade, Position, Number and then remember an extra few such as rotations, angles and the list goes on but its the ones you dont remember which is what you should write down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal
    Just wondering, how do you know Plymouth's cut off last year was 650? I emailed the university's dental admissions team and they've said the 2016 cut off was 2280 overall, including decision making.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I finally sat my UKCAT yesterday and I am surprised beyond words with the result!

VR - 650
    QR - 750
    AR - 860
    SJ - Band One

So pleased with that; is it considered to be a good score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BFCBP)
    Well, I finally sat my UKCAT yesterday and I am surprised beyond words with the result!

VR - 650
    QR - 750
    AR - 860
    SJ - Band One

So pleased with that; is it considered to be a good score?
    that's an amazing score!! Can I ask how long you've been revising for and what resources you used? How did you find the sections in comparison to medify? Well done on such a brilliant score! *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    that's an amazing score!! Can I ask how long you've been revising for and what resources you used? How did you find the sections in comparison to medify? Well done on such a brilliant score! *
    Thank you so much for your comments!! I did the entire 1000q book a month before but found it to be a bit too hard really and I plowed through it unhappily and just for the sake of getting to the end. The mock in it was also a lot harder than the day. So for a couple of weeks I did 1.5 - 2hrs a day of this and other various technique learning from last year's Kaplan course book that someone lent to me (I'm very particular and time every second I revise on a timer, any breaks aren't included in the time because I feel that's not a true indication of the work I've done haha). Then with two - three weeks to go I upped it to 3hrs+ day and signed up to Medify - completed every single question in every category almost before doing mocks. Completing all the practice questions on this took me about a week and a bit so then for the last few days before the test I just struggled around to find resources and redid some old questions!! But 860/900 on AR was a huge surprise, it seems pretty high!! When's yours?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.