Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

• View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME_CHG)
    I did FP2 and 3 but not 4.
    Hopefully FP3 is the lowest ever but idk about FP2, what do you think? Better or worse than last year?
    FP3 I reckon 60 A and 66 A*. I thought FP2 was worse than last year, although most people seem to think differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoli1998)
    I was looking into SOAS for clearing. For what course are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Law!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one on here who hasn't watched ANY of this year's olympics yet?

ReputationRep:
    Basically my uni place rests on my sociology grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    I can't deal with the wait Did anyone else here do WJEC?
    Yep for chemistry, biology and maths. What subjects did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qcomber)
    FP3 I reckon 60 A and 66 A*. I thought FP2 was worse than last year, although most people seem to think differently.
    Me after reading your FP3 prediction...
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 362
Size:  44.6 KB
    (I'm going to need a miracle)

And I'm hoping FP2 is lower than last year too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    UCAS are clear that a university must not reject an applicant who has met their conditions.

That means that an Insurance can only let someone who has met their offer go into clearing AFTER their firm choice rejects them (a release into clearing can only happen if an applicant is UF with a university).

It *can* take days - in your case where you previously applied to York as one of your choices you're in a better position than otherwise.

IF you miss your firm grades
    and
    IF your firm reject you
    and
    IF your insurance either haven't decided or have you as UF on results day

(ie IF you end up committed to Manchester on results day) then once you have your results ring York and explain that you're waiting to be placed into Clearing - because you applied previously they'll be able to see your application and grades and might be able to offer some reassurance that they can hold a place.

In the mean time email Manchester's admissions department and reiterate to them ("following my phone call on Monday 15 August..." that you no longer wish to take up a place with them and ask that IF you are rejected by notts then you would like Manchester to place you into Clearing ASAP (and preferably by 8am on Thursday 18th). That way even if it hasn't happened first thing on the 18th then you've sent written instructions explaining your decision.

The big problem is that one of UCAS key "Principles of admissions" is
    "10. A provider must not approach an applicant who is holding a firm or an insurance place at a provider (other than their own)."

At the moment you're asking Manchester (at the busiest time of year) to go out of their way to help you out - when as far as their concerned they might be able to see that you've met your firm offer or been accepted with dropped grades. A LOT of universities don't look at insurance applicants until Tuesday/Wednesday - because otherwise they're doing far more work than needed confirming places for students who are accepted at their firm choice.

If anyone taking AS is reading this PLEASE don't wait this late to change your mind. Swapping/changing firm and insurance choices is EASY in July and a pain in August.
    Thank you so much for the really long and detailed response. I will email the department asking them to release me into clearing if my firm rejects me so I can hopefully use clearing, and if not I guess a gap year could be on the cards
    I might ring up and ask how long it takes them to release me as well .

Thanks so much and yes I should've sorted this earlier but I didn't anticipate changing my mind this late in the game :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    Yep for chemistry, biology and maths. What subjects did you do?
    Did you find Wjec Biology really hard this year?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I achieved at gcse level: 2a*6a2b, and I've just completed year 12. I am really hoping for all A's so I can be predicted a couple of A*s at A-level.
    Do you think its worth applying to Cambridge? I want to study Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofacademics)
    Ok I think I might know a way to find out if you got into your firm.

Because I got my accomodation sorted within the past few days, I just rang up my uni and pretended I didn't get an accomodation confirmation and asked whether they could confirm it for me. They checked my status and were able to tell me that I had confirmed accomodation. I know it's not definite, but if my accomodation is confirmed and they've got our resukts, they would have, by now, taken accomodation off those who didn't meet the requirement and they weren't accepting, right?
    Anyone else tried this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Law!!!!!

Ah I see, I was looking at studies of religion and social anthropology. Its requirements I think are AAB as well. But are they likely to lower grade requirements if they are in clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Guys I achieved at gcse level: 2a*6a2b, and I've just completed year 12. I am really hoping for all A's so I can be predicted a couple of A*s at A-level.
    Do you think its worth applying to Cambridge? I want to study Chemical Engineering.
    A-Levels is a lot harder than GCSE keep that in mind before aiming for A's, you need to be prepared to do a lot more hard work.

my heart sinks to my stomach whenever I remember my c4 paper

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering about one thing, if my offer is AAB and for example I get A*BB do you think I would still be accepted if the A* is in a subject that is totally irrelevant to the course(A* will be in Spanish definitely and the course I applied to is computer science)?

PS. Would the university also consider the fact that I did 4 A2 levels rather than 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Thank you so much for the really long and detailed response. I will email the department asking them to release me into clearing if my firm rejects me so I can hopefully use clearing, and if not I guess a gap year could be on the cards
    I might ring up and ask how long it takes them to release me as well .

Thanks so much and yes I should've sorted this earlier but I didn't anticipate changing my mind this late in the game :/
    You're still ahead of the dozens/hundreds who will decide on results day

Unfortunately that makes it a bit more complex because there's a huge amount of uncertainty about whether you'll even end up committed to your insurance or not (and that uncertainty will make universities very wary of speaking to you about your application and risking accidentally saying something they shouldn't).

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, waiting for AS results, nervous Seeing this thread, so many of you are A2 students, can anyone give me some advice? How would you recommend me to work for A2? Is it significantly harder than AS? As this year I was very lazy as I felt the work was quite manageable (did no work at all apart from homework until the start of march then just did revision cards and past papers). Assuming you cannot get away with this at A2, what did you all do? Any tips about next year and maybe uni applications and anything in general? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_1998)
    my heart sinks to my stomach whenever I remember my c4 paper
    I was on MEI and I agree - I was hoping for an A* originally, no hope of that now, I'm praying for an A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofthejungle2)
    A-Levels is a lot harder than GCSE keep that in mind before aiming for A's, you need to be prepared to do a lot more hard work.
    Yeah I've just finished my AS's and I'm hoping for all A's on results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingofacademics)
    Ok I think I might know a way to find out if you got into your firm.

Because I got my accomodation sorted within the past few days, I just rang up my uni and pretended I didn't get an accomodation confirmation and asked whether they could confirm it for me. They checked my status and were able to tell me that I had confirmed accomodation. I know it's not definite, but if my accomodation is confirmed and they've got our resukts, they would have, by now, taken accomodation off those who didn't meet the requirement and they weren't accepting, right?
    You're overestimating university's efficiency in making decisions.

Most don't pass on decisions to accommodation until results day (partly to avoid breaching the embargo and partly because they simply don't have the decisions made and data input until then).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similenacy)
    Hey guys, I was wondering about one thing, if my offer is AAB and for example I get A*BB do you think I would still be accepted if the A* is in a subject that is totally irrelevant to the course(A* will be in Spanish definitely and the course I applied to is computer science)?

PS. Would the university also consider the fact that I did 4 A2 levels rather than 3?
    They'll take everything into account but if they asked for an A in maths and you get a B then that's more likely to be a deal breaker than missing a grade in another subject. If they've got evidence that people with a B in maths tend to fail or drop out then no amount of success in other subjects will make up for that - they wont accept you onto a course with the expectation that you'd fail. That would be hugely unethical and cruel.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.