The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I think my first choice might be ensuite campus, haven't had a look at it yet though.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Hi again,

I was just wondering what the situation was with the internet in UEA accommodation?

Wired or/and wireless?

How fast is the connection?

How reliable is the internet connection?

Thanks
anyone got some pictures of the Standard single campus accomodation and ziggurats? thank you :smile:
Original post by Liquid27
Hi again,

I was just wondering what the situation was with the internet in UEA accommodation?

Wired or/and wireless?

How fast is the connection?

How reliable is the internet connection?

Thanks

The internet is pretty average. There's an ethernet port in your room and there's wireless (eduroam & The Cloud) throughout campus. On ethernet the speed is pretty solid at about 8Mb download, 1Mb upload. It's OK for watching say HD Netflix/ iPlayer/ YouTube. The wifi is a bit patchy. It goes down quite a bit and the speed varies depending on how congested the local wifi is. I've hit over 50Mb once on Wifi in the middle of the night, but it also can slow to a crawl at peak time.
In the accommodation are there communal areas where you can hang out and chill and watch tv if you wanted?
Original post by priyanka44
In the accommodation are there communal areas where you can hang out and chill and watch tv if you wanted?

There aren't really lounges or anything (and I'm pretty sure no accommodation has TVs in). Most people either chill in the kitchen or in the hallways, or just in somebody's room. Theres plenty of space to get a group together, just not in a living room area with sofas etc. There is of course the uni pub where you can watch TV (sports) or sit on sofas etc if thats what you're after :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loladam
There aren't really lounges or anything (and I'm pretty sure no accommodation has TVs in). Most people either chill in the kitchen or in the hallways, or just in somebody's room. Theres plenty of space to get a group together, just not in a living room area with sofas etc. There is of course the uni pub where you can watch TV (sports) or sit on sofas etc if thats what you're after :smile:

Yeah thats great thanks :smile:
Original post by loladam
The internet is pretty average. There's an ethernet port in your room and there's wireless (eduroam & The Cloud) throughout campus. On ethernet the speed is pretty solid at about 8Mb download, 1Mb upload. It's OK for watching say HD Netflix/ iPlayer/ YouTube. The wifi is a bit patchy. It goes down quite a bit and the speed varies depending on how congested the local wifi is. I've hit over 50Mb once on Wifi in the middle of the night, but it also can slow to a crawl at peak time.

Thanks for the response, a very detailed answer.

Can I also please ask about what the laundry facilities are like? i.e. The general quality and size of washer and driers, their proximity to people's rooms, and how many people share a single washer or tumble dryer?

Can I also please ask about what the laundry facilities are like? i.e. The general quality and size of washer and driers, their proximity to people's rooms, and how many people share a single washer or tumble dryer?

There are a couple of laundrettes on campus and one in the village. They're OK, quite expensive to be fair. Not sure what it's like on campus but the village one can get quite busy at peak times but if you go when its quieter then its usually empty

They're probably a 5-10 minute walk max from the accommodation.

Excluding the village, there's about 20 washing machines on campus. £2.50 a wash but you need to buy a top up card for £3 and have to top-up a minimum of £5 a time. These regularly break I must warn. Never top up more than £5 at a time as the top-up machines sometimes break and you will end up losing the money. If I wish to do my laundry it can sometimes occupy the whole evening due to waiting for one to become free etc.
I found in the village if you went before lunchtime, or after 9pm you were more than likely to get a washing machine...or two without any complaints (Not sure if they're still open 24 hours).
Tumble driers are massive, the washing machines can easily fit in two/three weeks worth of clothing in, asides from Pine/Willow/Hawthorn the launderette is literally less than a minute away in the Village. As for on campus, pray you're not in Constable Terrace and have to walk 10 minutes to the nearest launderette.
I was gonna apply for summer accomodation (Im a current 1st year student) but on the wesbite, it says

'We reserve the right to decline bookings for students who have breached the Terms and Conditions of the Licence to Occupy, including debt, during previous licence periods.'

I pay monthly by direct debit, but didnt have enough money on my debit card in March so it was an unsuccessful transaction, but I paid it in April. However I didnt have money for the April direct debit, but since then I have payed off April (as well as May and June, so I have no debt now.) But I guess I still breached the terms and conditions, right? Should I even bother applying or will I be rejected :frown:
Reply 4832
Thank you so much! X

Original post by kpwxx
Here they are!

Spoiler to stop the post being too long. Bear in mind this is a few years ago now so some of the kitchens (possibly all) have been refurbished since then. I believe the style is still similar though, just with cupboard doors and nice materials that feel a bit more homely- the size will still be the same, and the bedrooms/bathroom pods are the same.

Spoiler

Original post by driftawaay
I was gonna apply for summer accomodation (Im a current 1st year student) but on the wesbite, it says

'We reserve the right to decline bookings for students who have breached the Terms and Conditions of the Licence to Occupy, including debt, during previous licence periods.'

I pay monthly by direct debit, but didnt have enough money on my debit card in March so it was an unsuccessful transaction, but I paid it in April. However I didnt have money for the April direct debit, but since then I have payed off April (as well as May and June, so I have no debt now.) But I guess I still breached the terms and conditions, right? Should I even bother applying or will I be rejected :frown:

I'd pop in and ask, it's worth a shot since you've paid it off now. I think they're more likely to decline someone who's still in debt to them. Also, how do you pay for summer accomm... If it's a lump sum at the start there isn't really any risk for them.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I'd pop in and ask, it's worth a shot since you've paid it off now. I think they're more likely to decline someone who's still in debt to them. Also, how do you pay for summer accomm... If it's a lump sum at the start there isn't really any risk for them.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was thinking about that, if its a lump sum then why not..

I submitted an application and it said 'your application has been recorded, you will receive an email regarding the outcome of your application on 17th April 2015' .... obviously that's passed though so when will I receive an anwswer.... lol. the deadline for application submission is june 5. :redface:
Original post by driftawaay
Yeah I was thinking about that, if its a lump sum then why not..

I submitted an application and it said 'your application has been recorded, you will receive an email regarding the outcome of your application on 17th April 2015' .... obviously that's passed though so when will I receive an anwswer.... lol. the deadline for application submission is june 5. :redface:

I've no idea when, sorry, but I can't imagine it'd be too long, they'd want to get it sorted asap I'd imagine.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
The online application form has been up for a while now .... I've filled mine in :s x

Posted from TSR Mobile
1st choice - en suite campus!
Exciting! 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4838
Does anyone have any info on what Britten House is like? Thank you!! :smile: x
Original post by daisyr
Does anyone have any info on what Britten House is like? Thank you!! :smile: x

I lived there in my first year. Rooms are a pretty good size- great sized desks, reasonably sized bathrooms, big kitchens. Five minutes at most from the square. Obviously the atmosphere depends on who you live with so that varies year on year. Any further questions let me know :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending