Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question for you guys - what is the maximum number of miles/amount of time that you would consider commuting for a job?

There are very few jobs coming up in my area at the moment, and I've seen a good looking job 40 miles away. So that's an 80 miles trip every day...

I would move there but I don't fancy it around there at all. Just wondered if that would be too much for you guys or if I'm being a wimp? :lol: . I think in my head 30 miles was the limit, because that's what I commute to uni and that annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking within 40 minutes travel time each way at the moment. I'd push to an hour for an amazing job if I had to...but I don't drive at the moment and anticipate doing so within the next year so I have in mind that the time could be reduced eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Question for you guys - what is the maximum number of miles/amount of time that you would consider commuting for a job?

There are very few jobs coming up in my area at the moment, and I've seen a good looking job 40 miles away. So that's an 80 miles trip every day...

I would move there but I don't fancy it around there at all. Just wondered if that would be too much for you guys or if I'm being a wimp? :lol: . I think in my head 30 miles was the limit, because that's what I commute to uni and that annoying.
    In all my jobs, there have been one or two people who commuted more than that, but tbh we have all regarded them as mental. My first two jobs were 25 and 17 miles each way, all motorway, which was perfectly doable, and my current one is 6 on local roads. The last is infinitely preferable. You need to think about attending parents' evenings and other school events, plus the cost of all that petrol. If it's the ideal job, consider moving half way. It'd be too much for me, I have to say.

ReputationRep:

I'd say 90 mins each way for a full time job; I've had jobs were I travelled more than an hour each way on public transport. I live not far from Liverpool and I know people who have commuted to Leeds (via car).

---------

Looks like I will be dropping out shortly. I've been informed that it is unlikely I'll be completing my 100 hours by the end of the course. I've been told that I can complete the remaining teaching hours in September however I won't get paid for them and I won't be able to claim any benefits or student loan.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 45 minutes max (each way) but would avoid it.

When I got my current job I lived about 40 minutes away, but it could easily become an hour if traffic was bad (and since then there have been major roadworks so it would have frequently been bad).

I moved for the job - I now live 10 miles from my job (a nice 20 minute drive down country lanes) and 20 minutes from where I used to live and where most of my friends are, which is fine.

I am so glad not to spend 10 hours of my week driving.

I suggest you apply for the job (just for the interview experience, if nothing else). See how the journey to the interview is and decide if you're willing to do it. Then if you're offered the job you can consider moving.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I'd say 90 mins each way for a full time job; I've had jobs were I travelled more than an hour each way on public transport. I live not far from Liverpool and I know people who have commuted to Leeds (via car).

---------

Looks like I will be dropping out shortly. I've been informed that it is unlikely I'll be completing my 100 hours by the end of the course. I've been told that I can complete the remaining teaching hours in September however I won't get paid for them and I won't be able to claim any benefits or student loan.
    That's absolutely ridiculous! Have you complained?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    That's absolutely ridiculous! Have you complained?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not yet but I'm going to. I'm also looking into transferring and completing it somewhere else.

ReputationRep:

---------

are they not willing to help with getting the hours? are other people on the course having the same problem? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    are they not willing to help with getting the hours? are other people on the course having the same problem? :/
    Yeah there's a few others. I've been told there isn't another placement; I've asked my mentor twice about doing more hours and she's ignored me both times.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's a few others. I've been told there isn't another placement; I've asked my mentor twice about doing more hours and she's ignored me both times.
    Is there anyone above her that you could talk to? Or a way of doing it independently? It seems such a waste because it's their bloody fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Is there anyone above her that you could talk to? Or a way of doing it independently? It seems such a waste because it's their bloody fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure; someone in my class mentioned trying to approach heads of departments for hours myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure; someone in my class mentioned trying to approach heads of departments for hours myself.
    The whole thing sounds like an absolute joke. I feel really sorry for you because none of it is your fault. I can't fathom how the uni think that it is acceptable. A lot of complaints from yourself and others on your course are needed.

I hope you get chance to study somewhere else and transfer. Seems unfair for it to ruin your career like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing sounds like an absolute joke. I feel really sorry for you because none of it is your fault. I can't fathom how the uni think that it is acceptable. A lot of complaints from yourself and others on your course are needed.

I hope you get chance to study somewhere else and transfer. Seems unfair for it to ruin your career like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its not the university itself its a partnership college (I'm doing post 16 and teaching and placement take place there).

ReputationRep:
    Its not the university itself its a partnership college (I'm doing post 16 and teaching and placement take place there).
    Are you paying course fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Are you paying course fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Then surely as a consumer you have a right to the service you are paying for. I would def kick up a fuss. Maybe consult a union too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Well same thing applies to the college. Were you given any warning that there may be difficulty in you completing the hours before you started the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Well same thing applies to the college. Were you given any warning that there may be difficulty in you completing the hours before you started the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No; actually at my interview I was told they'd only give me a place if they had a placement for me to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I breifly saw my mentor earlier and seeing her properly later this afternoon. Apparently the hours have been sorted but Im not holding my breath. I've worked out that I'm going to need 15 a week at the very least when on full time teaching practice (which starts after half term) to get anywhere near the required hours so I've decided if that isn't sorted by next week I'm not returning after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I breifly saw my mentor earlier and seeing her properly later this afternoon. Apparently the hours have been sorted but Im not holding my breath. I've worked out that I'm going to need 15 a week at the very least when on full time teaching practice (which starts after half term) to get anywhere near the required hours so I've decided if that isn't sorted by next week I'm not returning after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you can get it sorted!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.