Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    Her story was done. Then they created an intolerable, mind numbingly pathetic story revolving around Danny. That's been cleared up now(finally) but prepare yourself as inevitably she is gonna have to take over the show now after staying quiet for a while
    this somewhat echos my thoughts. i thought her story was done once the day of the doctor was over but then we got the whole danny thing and her accepting the new regeneration which would have been ok if she had left mid series. just have to see where this goes now i guess

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see why everybody has an issue with Clara tbh. The storyline with Danny was boring af true, but other than that she is a better companion than most of the others (barring Miss Pond).

I thought yesterday's episode was good, standard 6/10 episode. The issue with all of these 2 parters is that one episode is 100% build up and the other is 100% resolution. With a week in between each episode it deflates all the build up in the first episode. I'd rather they only showed an episode once every two weeks but showed both two parters together, personally.

ReputationRep:
    The double episode thing is because of the theme of longevity in this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    But they're not forcing it in, they've just hired some actors. You're making a mountain over what can't even be called a molehill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's defo pc **** because the bbc have some rule about it. i hate the unrealistic **** that happens with moffat's who. So those villagers just go on with their day after eeing what they saw. It's as annoying as the dinosaur in london was. Moffat simply cba to do anything that's not showing off how clever he is. I half like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    That's passable thanks to Wangers Ring Cycle - even though it's historically inaccurate, it's what people think of when they think Vikings, so it's not something people will pick up on. But the eels? afaik there's evidence to suggest they wandered across the Atlantic and hit northern Canada but nothing to suggest they went south of the equator
    But the argument is about historical inaccuracy. Personally I noticed it far more than the electric eels and ethnically diverse extras!

(In fact, I didn't notice the extras at all until someone here complained about it :mmm:)

ReputationRep:
    New episode tonightttt

ReputationRep:
    Yaaaas i found a dw thread

ReputationRep:
    Ive got to say, that was a really good episode-best of last season and this one. My only criticism is that the situation is so dire which h they're in, the chances of fixing everything next episode look slim. It seems as if next week there will be completely unrealistic fantastic saviour moment which saves everything. Was disappointed to see that there was no preview for next week though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ive got to say, that was a really good episode-best of last season and this one. My only criticism is that the situation is so dire which h they're in, the chances of fixing everything next episode look slim. It seems as if next week there will be completely unrealistic fantastic saviour moment which saves everything. Was disappointed to see that there was no preview for next week though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Next weeks preview;

Not a huge fan of constantly having these two-part episodes. That being said, i'm surprised they went back to Peter Harness as a writer after the terror that was 'Kill the Moon'.

ReputationRep:
    I thought The Zygon Invasion was fine (better than Harness's first episode - Kill The Moon), reminded me of the Sontaran two parter from 2008 (with the companion doppelgänger, UNIT and present day Earth invasion). Tied up the loose ends from Day of the Doctor quite well and it was nice to see Osgood again (the only recurring character during Moffat's era that I actually like).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    Next weeks preview;

Not a huge fan of constantly having these two-part episodes. That being said, i'm surprised they went back to Peter Harness as a writer after the terror that was 'Kill the Moon'.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed. Definitely most enjoyable episode so far but feeling a cop out next one.

Also seriously 4th 2 parter this series?! I miss standalones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Agreed. Definitely most enjoyable episode so far but feeling a cop out next one.

Also seriously 4th 2 parter this series?! I miss standalones.
    I think that there were a couple which could have been standalone like the boring Viking episode. They've generally worked this season though and this one was the best.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Felt like I was watching an episode of Homeland, but without the casual xenophobia and gun-toting rednecks. Best episode of the series so far mind.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I think that there were a couple which could have been standalone like the boring Viking episode. They've generally worked this season though and this one was the best.
    Yeah I don't mind the odd two parter...but it's getting frustrating that we never have a conclusion in one episode. I think a two parter at beginning and end of series and maybe one in the middle works best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah I don't mind the odd two parter...but it's getting frustrating that we never have a conclusion in one episode. I think a two parter at beginning and end of series and maybe one in the middle works best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have been enjoying this series a lot more than the previous one. I don't know whether the two parters are the reason, but it seems possible...
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I have been enjoying this series a lot more than the previous one. I don't know whether the two parters are the reason, but it seems possible...
    Hmm interesting! I just like stories to be rounded off!

ReputationRep:
    The whole Tumeristan thing reminded me of Spooks with their fictional Middle Eastern countries, was perhaps a bit silly because they'd already made the nod to current issues going on in that part of the world quite obvious. Rebecca Front I feel was miscast as well, think they only put her in for The Thick of It connection (was disappointed they didn't use the word 'omnishambles' once haha).

As for what Moffat said about the sonic shades meaning kids don't have to buy a sonic screwdriver toy isn't the best argument, most people who talk about watching Dr Who as children used Biro's and UV pens instead, the only thing it has been good for is that the sonic screwdriver had become something of a magic wand in plotlines (disarming Silurian guns, disintegrating Flesh gangers, repelling the Virgil in ROA etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    As for what Moffat said about the sonic shades meaning kids don't have to buy a sonic screwdriver toy isn't the best argument, most people who talk about watching Dr Who as children used Biro's and UV pens instead, the only thing it has been good for is that the sonic screwdriver had become something of a magic wand in plotlines (disarming Silurian guns, disintegrating Flesh gangers, repelling the Virgil in ROA etc.).
    I don't think the glasses are working very well-it's just a bad idea, the screwdriver was good and even a sonic pen could have replaced it; that would have been better.. Saying that I did by a sonic screwdriver toy when I was younger with the psychic paper.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.