Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Personally I don't view the Jews as a race (I don't even like the separate crime of anti-Semitism) so in that sense, unless they actually believed then no.
    So what's JD talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    So what's JD talking about?
    Disraeli presumably and the various religions.

That said we did get the woman before Labour (purely from merit) and it'd not shock me if we had a black leader before you guys. That being said, anybody playing on that (Corbyn's sexist manifesto for example) would not get my vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

That said we did get the woman before Labour (purely from merit) and it'd not shock me if we had a black leader before you guys. That being said, anybody playing on that (Corbyn's sexist manifesto for example) would not get my vote.
    Nah, I expect Labour will end up with Black first because they will just end up discriminating against the whites and/or playing the race card to win rather than getting in on Merit.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Well Disraeli was 'Jewish' as was Miliband. Miliband also being an atheist. I very much doubt there's been an atheist Tory leader - as far as I know there hasn't been an atheist Prime Minister.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Tories had a black leader before Labour did - I wouldn't be shocked if it was the other way around either.

What are the various religions? I'm pretty sure they've all been christians of one denomination or the other (conspicuously no Roman Catholics).

I'm in no hurry to have a female Labour leader for the sake of it. Neither Kendall nor Cooper (especially Cooper) appeal to me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Nah, I expect Labour will end up with Black first because they will just end up discriminating against the whites and/or playing the race card to win rather than getting in on Merit.
    So what are 'all the other' minority groups?
    (female is hardly a minority of course)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So what are 'all the other' minority groups?
    (female is hardly a minority of course)
    Female is a minority in politics
    All the ethnicities, sexualities, religions etc, pretty much anybody that isn't a White, Male, (upper) middle class, Christian/atheist
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Female is a minority in politics
    All the ethnicities, sexualities, religions etc, pretty much anybody that isn't a White, Male, (upper) middle class, Christian/atheist
    Well of course - my question was who are all these minority groups that the Tory party has 'had'?

ReputationRep:
    Well of course - my question was who are all these minority groups that the Tory party has 'had'?
    I imagine we had some foreign Lords during the days of Empire. By birth at least (probably not ethnically).

ReputationRep:
    No there will be a fair process and equality will be used. Just a question there are not many black MPS within the labour party so who would take the job. Chucka is Asian (I think)so does not count as Black
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    No there will be a fair process and equality will be used. Just a question there are not many black MPS within the labour party so who would take the job. Chucka is Asian (I think)so does not count as Black
    The national labour party already work on a basis of sexism discrimination against men rather than meritocracy for their candidate selection, although one might suggest that it still t really favours the men, and I see it as only a matter of time until there is some stupid requirement for a certain quota of women in leadership elections.

The fact that the party already openly engage in discrimination against men, is it really SSSI hard to imagine that this policy editor be extended to discriminate in favour of the minorities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The national labour party already work on a basis of sexism discrimination against men rather than meritocracy for their candidate selection, although one might suggest that it still t really favours the men, and I see it as only a matter of time until there is some stupid requirement for a certain quota of women in leadership elections.

The fact that the party already openly engage in discrimination against men, is it really SSSI hard to imagine that this policy editor be extended to discriminate in favour of the minorities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just think it is because we have never had a real term leader. You can not really class Harriet Harmann- she is only a part time labour leader. There is two in the current leadership election those two will probably finish bottom two. Yvette has no charisma and has attacked Jeremy a number of times who the voters are wanting to win- so that will drop her support and Kendall is a Tory Lite leader who is more right wing then Tony Blair which is a first for a Labour Leader. If anyone is going to stop Corbyn this time it will be Andy Burnham

ReputationRep:
    I just think it is because we have never had a real term leader. You can not really class Harriet Harmann- she is only a part time labour leader. There is two in the current leadership election those two will probably finish bottom two. Yvette has no charisma and has attacked Jeremy a number of times who the voters are wanting to win- so that will drop her support and Kendall is a Tory Lite leader who is more right wing then Tony Blair which is a first for a Labour Leader. If anyone is going to stop Corbyn this time it will be Andy Burnham
    Also My keyboard stopped working so I will now answer your question based on the women discrimination. I do not believe the party will force a minimum amount of women on to a leadership election. Other then the current two I can not think of anyone who would want to be leader . I couldn't see a female politician such as Dianne Abbott wanting to go for it. she is part of the awkward squad. So I don't see a woman other then the current two wanting to lead Labour. What will happen is Jeremy will be elected after about 18 months the powers that be in the party will get rid of him if he has not had the desired impact on the party and then it will pave way for Chucka.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Cooper will finish second now. The bookies have been lowering her odds and lengthening Corbyn's.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Cooper will finish second now. The bookies have been lowering her odds and lengthening Corbyn's.
    I really do not like her that much. Her voice annoys me I would have her as a 3rd choice - I think it is between Corbyn and Burnham still already 2/3rds of the votes have been cast already. I think Corbyn has probably won if you're going off the polls or they have scared enough voters off him through the media. The majority of the trade unionists would have gone for Corbyn people who are on the hard left and Old Labour supporters. The Blairites will have their votes shared between Kendall and Burnham. I will be surprised if Cooper comes second now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    For all we know Stella Creasy's DL run is in the hopes to springboard a run for Leader at some point down the line.

ReputationRep:
    For all we know Stella Creasy's DL run is in the hopes to springboard a run for Leader at some point down the line.
    I want Tom Watson to win that one. The one who represents by my area but not my constituency

ReputationRep:
    Which is why Dianne Abbot won so spectacularly. Black and a woman. She had it in the bag.

Oh wait. She came last.

Woops.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I want Tom Watson to win that one. The one who represents by my area but not my constituency
    I voted Stella, Tom, Ben.

ReputationRep:
    I voted Stella, Tom, Ben.
    Thats Ok I am confident Tom will win i have seen strong support for Tom on the internet. But I do not really care who wins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Which is why Dianne Abbot won so spectacularly. Black and a woman. She had it in the bag.

Oh wait. She came last.

Woops.
    Dianne Abbott probably would not get anywhere near it she is a member of the "awkward squad"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.