Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Two great QFs today, both look liked they'd be over in 3 but both went through distance. Neither semi will be a walkover but I think Murray's the more likely finalist whereas Raonic-Federer can go either way*
    Not sure about this statement. Federer beat Raonic easily the last time they played at WImbledon (6-4, 6-4, 6-4) and holds a 9-2 H2H against him. The argument could be made that Raonic is better now but the same can be said for Berdych (relative to rest of 2016), who has a more competitive H2H against Murray (6-8).

I consider Cilic to be more of a threat than Raonic and obviously he has just been defeated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Not sure about this statement. Federer beat Raonic easily the last time they played at WImbledon (6-4, 6-4, 6-4) and holds a 9-2 H2H against him. The argument could be made that Raonic is better now but the same can be said for Berdych (relative to rest of 2016), who has a more competitive H2H against Murray (6-8).

I consider Cilic to be more of a threat than Raonic and obviously he has just been defeated.
    The way I see it Raonic has a lot more experience at this level now, he's been to another major semi, the last time he played Federer he beat him and he's got some form coming into Wimbledon, having almost beaten Murray at Queen's. Whereas Federer's barely played this year, hasn't won a title and in my opinion his ground game isn't as solid as it was last year or the year before.
    Of course there are loads of x factors going into the match Raonic has never made a slam final whereas Federer knows this might be hid best chance to win another slam as Djokovic isn't lurking in the final.
    So for me it's form vs experience so both have a good chance.
    Berdych however hasn't had a win against the top 3 in a very long time and although I'm sure it'll be competitive can't see him having enough to beat Murray but you never know so we'll see on Friday.*

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it Raonic has a lot more experience at this level now, he's been to another major semi, the last time he played Federer he beat him and he's got some form coming into Wimbledon, having almost beaten Murray at Queen's. Whereas Federer's barely played this year, hasn't won a title and in my opinion his ground game isn't as solid as it was last year or the year before.
    Of course there are loads of x factors going into the match Raonic has never made a slam final whereas Federer knows this might be hid best chance to win another slam as Djokovic isn't lurking in the final.
    So for me it's form vs experience so both have a good chance.
    Berdych however hasn't had a win against the top 3 in a very long time and although I'm sure it'll be competitive can't see him having enough to beat Murray but you never know so we'll see on Friday.*
    They have played three big matches so far (Wimbledon, Australian Open, and WTFs), and in all three matches Raonic failed to take a set. On paper of course there are factors in Raonic's favour but in my mind's eye I just can't see somebody like Raonic beating Federer at this stage at Wimbledon.

We'll see on Friday I guess

ReputationRep:

H2H stats also aren't the be all and end all as, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the case that before the US Open 2014 semi Federer had never lost to Cilic or at the very least had a very dominant H2H and he still lost in straights so I think form is more important.

ReputationRep:
    They have played three big matches so far (Wimbledon, Australian Open, and WTFs), and in all three matches Raonic failed to take a set. On paper of course there are factors in Raonic's favour but in my mind's eye I just can't see somebody like Raonic beating Federer at this stage at Wimbledon.

We'll see on Friday I guess
    True, it's form vs experience I'm looking forward to seeing who will come through*

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea how Federer managed to get through. One minute he was down 2 sets I had a nap then he was winning.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else had enough of Murray opening up his mouth like some sinkhole every time he celebrates a big point?

ReputationRep:
    H2H stats also aren't the be all and end all as, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the case that before the US Open 2014 semi Federer had never lost to Cilic or at the very least had a very dominant H2H and he still lost in straights so I think form is more important.
    It is just one factor among many factors such as form, surface, reputation, mental strength, and motivation levels. Of course there is always a chance that an underdog will "get hot" and defy precedent but this is difficult to predict with confidence.

I don't know, maybe I'm biased because the last time I watched Raonic was at Wimbledon 2014, but nothing I saw then could convince me that he could take Federer at Wimbledon. He had an excellent serve, good forehand but had poor movement, poor return, and poor variety. Hope for his sake that he has improved since then.

ReputationRep:
    Remember also that Raonic lost two sets to Goffin and one to Querrey. A player capable of defeating Federer at Wimbledon should be handling those two comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    Federer has never lost a SF at Wimbledon. In fact he has only lost one set in his 10 SFs at Wimbledon and that was to Djokovic in 2012. Although I expect him to lose a set to Raonic, I honestly don't think Fed will lose if he serves well. Raonic's peak level isn't as high as Cilic and unlike Cilic his return game and ground game is poor so I think Fed should be fine if he serves well. Fed's ground game is also quite average atm but truthfully his ground game has been like that since 2013 so that's nothing new.

I just hope that Berdych gives Murray a competitive match. This could realistically be Berdych's last and probably his best ever chance of winning a slam so I hope he doesn't bend over to top guys for once and go out there give it his all. The last thing I need as a Federer fan is a fatigued Federer vs a fresh as a daisy Murray in the final.

ReputationRep:
    In a way Djokovic going out early may become a hindrance for Murray (if he gets to the final) as if Djokovic had come through and beat Raonic in the QF he'd at the very least be competitive against Federer, in their semi and at his best would've beaten Federer and having never lost against Djokovic on grass Murray would've definitely fancied his chances against Djokovic in the final. Murray however has only beaten Federer once in a slam in 2013 and for the last few years has struggled to stay competitive against him so if Federer manages to come through Raonic fairly unscathed and Murray waits in the final I'd say 18 would be on Federer's racquet.

ReputationRep:
    Wow HUGE win for Raonic from 2 sets to 1 down looked down and out but he pounced exactly when he needed to. Tough luck for Federer, especially losing serve from 40-0 at the end of the 4th. Still on for a Queen's final rematch*

ReputationRep:
    Good win for Raonic.

Didn't get to see most of the match as I was at work. Tuned in right at the end of the fourth set. Federer was facing set point, ball sat up for him in the middle of the court, had the whole court to aim for, and he hit the ball short right back at Raonic. For the life of me cannot work out why he always does this on the big points.

Raonic seems to have improved a lot though. Not expecting him to beat Murray though should the latter make the finals.

ReputationRep:
    Federer looked like a 50 year old today. Should be announcing retirement soon I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Federer looked like a 50 year old today. Should be announcing retirement soon I reckon.
    According to him he'll be back at Wimbledon next year plus he looked really good till his last service game in the 4th set where he really shouldn't have let himself get broken*

ReputationRep:
    Chokerer showed up once again

ReputationRep:
    According to him he'll be back at Wimbledon next year plus he looked really good till his last service game in the 4th set where he really shouldn't have let himself get broken*
    He is delusional if he think he can still win another slam. He has no ground game. Serve alone can only take him so far.

ReputationRep:
    Murray- Raonic probably will be the most one sided final grand slam finals in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_K1NG)
    Murray- Raonic probably will be the most one sided final grand slam finals in recent times.
    How? Raonic was a set and a break up in the Queen's final before Murray came back. The final will definitely be competitive, but ultimately it is Murray's to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Raonic is playing the best tennis of his life and may be the heir apparent when the big 4 eventually loosen their grip on tennis completely but Murray's never had a better opportunity to win a slam so I think it'll be Andy in 4 but I hope it's a good match and neither player lets the occasion get the better of them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.