Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    The whole Tumeristan thing reminded me of Spooks with their fictional Middle Eastern countries, was perhaps a bit silly because they'd already made the nod to current issues going on in that part of the world quite obvious. Rebecca Front I feel was miscast as well, think they only put her in for The Thick of It connection (was disappointed they didn't use the word 'omnishambles' once haha).

As for what Moffat said about the sonic shades meaning kids don't have to buy a sonic screwdriver toy isn't the best argument, most people who talk about watching Dr Who as children used Biro's and UV pens instead, the only thing it has been good for is that the sonic screwdriver had become something of a magic wand in plotlines (disarming Silurian guns, disintegrating Flesh gangers, repelling the Virgil in ROA etc.).
    Instead they need a pair of Ray-Bans lol

ReputationRep:
    Another good episode. Not sure whether there was enough of the whole ISIS/immigrants allegory!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    The guitar :nope:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    It was a good ep :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    these 2 parters are getting annoying now

ReputationRep:
    By far the best episode this season...Definitely thinking that Osgood is the Zygon
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JoshL123)
    By far the best episode this season...Definitely thinking that Osgood is the Zygon
    Of course - that bit at the start hinted at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    this programme is unwatchable these days
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wasn't a fan of that episode, bit boring with poor economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Of course - that bit at the start hinted at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How so? I only came to the conclusion that it was the Zygon version given that Osgood hadn't an inhaler with her at any point through that episode

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    How so? I only came to the conclusion that it was the Zygon version given that Osgood hadn't an inhaler with her at any point through that episode

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My conclusion was that:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was the Zygon version that died, then the human version was the one you saw at the start of the episode. I predict the Zygons took her and replaced her with a new Zygon version. Because we didn't see her get rescued from the Zygon at the start of the episode, did we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    My conclusion was that:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was the Zygon version that died, then the human version was the one you saw at the start of the episode. I predict the Zygons took her and replaced her with a new Zygon version. Because we didn't see her get rescued from the Zygon at the start of the episode, did we?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thats interesting...you may be right, but I thought that the Zygon that had initially captured her was taking her to the fort where the doctor had rescued her? A friend of mine had wondered how Osgood had known of the doctor's voice (when she was trapped in the basement). If you theory is right, it could fit in with the no inhaler concept and the recognising voice one
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thats interesting...you may be right, but I thought that the Zygon that had initially captured her was taking her to the fort where the doctor had rescued her? A friend of mine had wondered how Osgood had known of the doctor's voice (when she was trapped in the basement). If you theory is right, it could fit in with the no inhaler concept and the recognising voice one
    Possibly, we'll have to wait and see

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so now dr who is critiquing the iraq war and anglo muslim relations.Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    also it's a body snatchers rip off/tribute in an inverse sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    i just think the situation is too dire for them to be able to get out of it in a believable way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    i just think the situation is too dire for them to be able to get out of it in a believable way
    Exactly what I was alluding to earlier. The second part is set to disappoint despite a fantastic first part to the episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    Exactly what I was alluding to earlier. The second part is set to disappoint despite a fantastic first part to the episode.
    yeah since it looks so bleak and then we will get 45 minutes of resolution where it will all magically get sorted in 15 minutes or so and we will be left thinking "well that was easier than you made me think it would be"

ReputationRep:
    https://store.bbc.com/drama/doctor-who

classic Doctor Who episodes...oh yes, when I gets monies next I am so there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know this is a massive throwback, but I've been studying Shakespeare's sonnets recently and that made me think about the episode The Shakespeare Code. Some of Shakespeare's sonnets are attributed to a mysterious 'Dark Lady'. Sonnet 130 describes this figure literally, and I think it leads onto something interesting...

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
    Coral is far more red, than her lips red:
    If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
    If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
    I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
    But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
    And in some perfumes is there more delight
    Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
    I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
    That music hath a far more pleasing sound:
    I grant I never saw a goddess go,
    My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
    And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare,
    As any she belied with false compare.

This poem literally describes a black woman, defying the norm of fair-skinned women being around. So, what I've been thinking is that this 'Dark Lady' is in fact Martha Jones, who Shakespeare met in this episode. I'm not sure if this is just headcanon, or if it's genuine, but it's pretty smart of the writers to have made Martha Jones, the Doctor's only black companion (as far as I remember), make her meet Shakespeare so that she can be this 'Dark Lady' that in reality, no one knows much about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.