Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DarrenBCFC)
    Thats Ok I am confident Tom will win i have seen strong support for Tom on the internet. But I do not really care who wins
    I think Tom will win too. That's partly why I felt comfortable with voting for Stella haha My 1st pref was always going to go to one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I voted Stella, Tom, Ben.
    If I was a member of the lab party I would have voted Stella.

ReputationRep:
    I think Tom will win too. That's partly why I felt comfortable with voting for Stella haha My 1st pref was always going to go to one of them.
    It would make an interesting balance if Corbyn and Tom won . You have Corbyn who is quite left wing where tom is quite the opposite and I think that could be a good balance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really do not like her that much. Her voice annoys me I would have her as a 3rd choice - I think it is between Corbyn and Burnham still already 2/3rds of the votes have been cast already. I think Corbyn has probably won if you're going off the polls or they have scared enough voters off him through the media. The majority of the trade unionists would have gone for Corbyn people who are on the hard left and Old Labour supporters. The Blairites will have their votes shared between Kendall and Burnham. I will be surprised if Cooper comes second now.
    Cooper is incredibly boring but she's smart, presents well and seems to stick to what she believes in. A lot of Blairites are voting for her as the next most preferable after Kendall because Kendall does not look like winning. I refuse to believe that only 10% of Labourites are Blairites (roughly what Kendall will get).

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Which is why Dianne Abbot won so spectacularly. Black and a woman. She had it in the bag.

Oh wait. She came last.

Woops.
    She is incredibly racist to be fair. Racist to whites that is.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    If I was a member of the lab party I would have voted Stella.
    :five:

It would make an interesting balance if Corbyn and Tom won . You have Corbyn who is quite left wing where tom is quite the opposite and I think that could be a good balance.
    Tom doesn't strike me as the opposite of Corbyn. More moderate definitely but still reasonably left-wing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Isn't a black leader basically the one main minority group left for labour to be first at, having already lost all the others to the Tories?
    Well, I suppose there is always trans and some of the non Christian religions too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As apposed to actually implementing policies that make it better for the rest of women, gays, black, Asian and whatever that don;t make up conservative MPs (so most of them).

ReputationRep:
    :five:

Tom doesn't strike me as the opposite of Corbyn. More moderate definitely but still reasonably left-wing.
    I quite disagree If you look at this
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/113..._bromwich_east
    Id probably say he is centre.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I quite disagree If you look at this
    http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/113..._bromwich_east
    Id probably say he is centre.
    You may well have a point when you look at things like civil liberties and foreign affairs but if you look at the stuff on benefits and taxation it seems pretty consistent. I think he'd and Corbyn would be a good team but not so much because Tom represents the side that Corbyn doesn't appeal to.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No there will be a fair process and equality will be used. Just a question there are not many black MPS within the labour party so who would take the job. Chucka is Asian (I think)so does not count as Black
    I thought Chuka was of Nigerian descent.

ReputationRep:
    You may well have a point when you look at things like civil liberties and foreign affairs but if you look at the stuff on benefits and taxation it seems pretty consistent. I think he'd and Corbyn would be a good team but not so much because Tom represents the side that Corbyn doesn't appeal to.
    I believe he only votes like that for benefits for the area he represents being one of the most deprived areas in the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I thought Chuka was of Nigerian descent.
    Looks Asian to me?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Looks Asian to me?
    Nope, definitely Nigerian.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I believe he only votes like that for benefits for the area he represents being one of the most deprived areas in the country
    Maybe so - I don't know the man. But his record seems fairly left-wing to me wether that's because he is ideologically left-wing or to please his constituents is something I imagine only he knows. It could of course be both.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Looks Asian to me?
    His father was Nigerian and his mother English/Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Nope, definitely Nigerian.
    It must be him being in this country for a while so his skin has gone paler, he does not look has dark skinned as you average Nigerian

ReputationRep:
    His father was Nigerian and his mother English/Irish.
    Thats why then
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    TSR Labour Party Update

Labour's Frontbench Team is, as of today, the following:

Home Affairs Spokesperson - RotatingPhasor
    Foreign Affairs Spokesperson - Saracen's Fez
    Finance Spokesperson - James222
    Business Spokesperson - United1892
    Constitutional Reform Spokesperson - cranbrook_aspie

Party Leader - RayApparently
    Deputy Leader -junaidk7

Additionally cranbrook_aspie and Saoirse:3 are Labour Party Strategy Commissioners and Saracen's Fez is Party Chair and Chief Whip.

For the full list of MPs see the Original Post.

-RA

ReputationRep:
    Got interested by this section and had a browse but given you were discussing, I believe, Tom Watson I thought I'd comment. I met him at a roundtable event, initially I was put off him due to talk from local councilors, but he won me over, appeared to be both to the left on some matters and moderate on others, while also wanting to bring the party into the 21st century on a whole range of non-policy matters, such as communication, debate and conference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Got interested by this section and had a browse but given you were discussing, I believe, Tom Watson I thought I'd comment. I met him at a roundtable event, initially I was put off him due to talk from local councilors, but he won me over, appeared to be both to the left on some matters and moderate on others, while also wanting to bring the party into the 21st century on a whole range of non-policy matters, such as communication, debate and conference.
    I'm not 100% sure on him - seems a little bit on the inconsistent side but definitely not the worse of the candidates! If you're interesting in the section would you maybe think about joining TSR Labour?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey Saoirse:3

I'm drunk and you're here. HI!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.