Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kai Bloodworth)
    Here's to a year and hopefully 2 years of Maths!
    Indeed! Hopefully my first Maths lesson goes alright. I have it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas.)
    Welcome to the MEI crew, we're the best Maths crew in here.
    Pfft, give over! Coursework, in maths?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    Pfft, give over! Coursework, in maths?!
    A little bit of coursework never hurt anybody mate.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it, apart from in sciences when you actually do stuff like experiments...

GCSE coursework hurt me (and my grades) a lot :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    haha me and some friends went to the local town :giggle:
    I'm trying to convince myself that later in the year when I'll (probably) have more work that I'll actually do something but for now I'm just making the most of the free time

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****! Pardon my French, but today was ****ing awesome!

Period One - 9:05-10:30 // Sociology: We just spent half of the lesson getting to know each other, and the other half we had to do some task where we had to pretend 380 people got stuck on a desert island because of a plane crash, and we had to decide how we would start a whole new society... Was pretty interesting.
    I'm not with any of my friends, although there are some girls that came from my school, although one of them I hate so much, and the other one I've never spoken to, so I just sat by myself. Hopefully I'll make some friends, the group seems nice, and has about 20 people in it.
    The teacher is a tiny bit weird, by very friendly. She seems like should could be a feminist though.. Something about her.
    Homework-wise, I got given loads of stuff to do. Most of it however is reading, and seeing as my next lesson is tomorrow, I'm going to get that done tonight.

Period Two - 10:45-12:10 // Tutorial: Tutorial is only half of the period, either the first or second half. So, because mine was the second half, I essentially had half of a free period. I spent it with all my friends who had actual free periods and we did a bit of exploring.
    When I actually had Tutorial, it was a bit of a doss. My tutor just spoke for the whole 40 minutes, telling us what Tutorial is all about. It's not like Tutorial/Tutor Time/Form Time at other schools.. Our Tutor is just a Tutor, and doesn't teach any subjects, and they're there for us more personally and other things like that. Didn't pay much attention. He seems pretty cool though.
    Again, my class has about 20 people in it, but my tutor said that he will usually email us all individually, letting us know if we actually need to turn up or not. Usually only 5 people will see him at a time.
    I was in there with a girl I talk to from my old school, so it was okay.
    Homework-wise, just have to email my Tutor loads of personal details.

Period Three - 12:55-14:20 // German: Possibly the best and worst lesson so far. There's only 7 of us in there. 3 other boys and 3 other girls, two of which came from my school.
    Teacher wasn't there for half of the lesson, and because the class was tiny, we all spoke to each other and got on so well, which I loved. I think I might have made a new friend already.
    Work wise, we did a few tests. Turns out everyone that isn't from my school is actually almost fluent in German.. I thought I was actually pretty good, but I'm so bad compared to everyone else.
    Homework, I have to prepare for a class speech about anything I want, but it obviously has to be in German... This will be a challenge.

Period Four - 14:35-16:00 // Psychology/Enrichment Signing Up: I was meant to have Psychology, but instead we had to sign up for an enrichment activity. I signed up for music. There was a little talk afterwards but it didn't seem that important so I decided to leave, get something to eat, and just wait extra long for the train.

So yeah, pretty good day.

I'll take a picture of my timetable in a minute if you all want to see it.
    Sounds like a fun first day! Mine was same old same old, except i saw more of the other half of the year and I was late to tutor, then again the next day xD

Pic plz?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! Hopefully my first Maths lesson goes alright. I have it tomorrow.
    I had half a day of Maths today and I really enjoyed it And a half day of Further Maths tomorrow with the same teacher.

I did mess up a bit today because we were simplifying algebraic terms and I couldn't distinguish between her "m's" and "n's" due to her heavy Scottish accent.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the MEI crew, we're the best Maths crew in here.

(Original post by Kai Bloodworth)
    Here's to a year and hopefully 2 years of Maths!
    Oh yes definately with a wider choice of Modules and apparently harder exams, we rock :cool::lol:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you lot start so late? We've started sixth form on the 2nd of this month.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie farie)
    Why do you lot start so late? We've started sixth form on the 2nd of this month.:eek:
    I had a day where you just came in for a photo and that was it and an induction day before lessons started. I don't know if other people had something similar??

ReputationRep:
    Coursework in Maths is just wrong because Maths is about exciting exam style questions not investigations and surveys, which Maths coursework often entails because these investigations are often Science based and have nothing really to do with Maths in my opinion because Maths has to involve calculations to be Maths.

I always had a high opinion of the MEI board due to the fact that they have the largest amount of available modules, with modules based around just Differential Equations etc, and because of the fact that MEI is a purely Maths based board-You won't find a MEI Geography course but the fact that there is coursework on their course has ruined there reputation quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbz2)
    I hate it, apart from in sciences when you actually do stuff like experiments...

GCSE coursework hurt me (and my grades) a lot :lol:
    Most of the time coursework increased my grades like in Core Science where I got 100% for the ISA and wouldn't have got an A* without the coursework and I only got 105/120 for the English Language exam and I got 158/180 for my English Literature exams in total but 60/60 in the coursework so I got A*s in both Englishes a year early.

However, for my French GCSE I almost got an A because I had low coursework marks because I scored 271/300 with 100% in both exams, which is a shockingly low UMS considering the fact I did better in my French exams than even my Maths exams.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard anything about predicted grades?-apparently there is a large formula they use down in Durham or something to calculate everyone's predicted grades across the whole country-I wonder if this applies for A2 because if it does then not everyone in the country must use the data because then you wouldn't hear about teachers giving students inflated predicted grades that they have no chance of achieving.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a terrible picture, but here is my almost ruined timetable in all it's glory.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378755246.948457.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  226.7 KB

It's showing my college name.. Oh well. #yolo 'n' that.

ReputationRep:
    I had a great day at College today I got homework in Physics on Specific Charge=mass/charge(measured in CKg^-1)( which is really easy and fun because its Maths)-I actually completed the homework in class because I was so quick answering them and my teacher said "Wow" when she went past me because most pupils in the class had hardly even started and I was onto the 2nd page at this point.

To add to this.I had a great and interesting lesson in Geography today where I learned that we can only use 0.03% of the Earth's water because most of it is salty water in the sea(97%),soaked into the soil(0.72%) or held in glaciers(2.25%).I got homework on the Water Balance in a Drainage Basin Hydrological Cycle, which refers to the topic of Rivers,Floods and Management.

ReputationRep:
    I had to rush my dinner to get to my lesson at 12:15 but I was still able to eat half a plate of Chips and Beans, which was very filling and I also found out I could use the card at 11:45 so I could have had more time to eat my dinner, at least the tight Lunch period is only for one day.

ReputationRep:
    One of the adults who was helping my Physics teacher told me an easy way to write neatly for extended writing questions, by writing in block capitals-How have I not thought of this before? it actually works and I can still write almost as fast and the letters stand out a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question to those who do edexcel maths or any math board at all, i was forced to do decision maths instead of mechanics and i can't change it. I have no idea on what to expect from decision maths, any input please?

ReputationRep:
    I got the impression my Physics Teacher really hated Neutrons because she kept going on about how they were worthless and did nothing, which makes you wonder how much she hates neutrinos because they have much less mass too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to help with Q2 or shall I post it in the Physics forum? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1378755905.054540.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  172.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.