Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Wasn't a meltdown ffs, was the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got your transfer ready to Man Utd all ready to go Just need to sign on the bottom line!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I've got your transfer ready to Man Utd all ready to go Just need to sign on the bottom line!
    Would rather jump off a cliff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at the PL table, if Arsenal and united win on the weekend and city lose, they go fourth!

It'll be:

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    United
    City

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle away then Liverpool!

**** man things are getting tense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Newcastle away then Liverpool!

**** man things are getting tense
    I know man! I can't wait for these big games! Hopefully we get 4th though!

Spoiler:
    Show
    !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    I know man! I can't wait for these big games! Hopefully we get 4th though!

Spoiler:
    Show
    !!!!

Liverpool have UTD then us back to back. Imagine if they lose both!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Just looking at the PL table, if Arsenal and united win on the weekend and city lose, they go fourth!

It'll be:

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    United
    City

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Neither will win, and City will, so it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    To go far in cl and/or challenge for the title you need 2 very good players in every position (and considering our injuries issues a decent 3rd option too).

GK- need a new 1st team option, our current 3 keepers aren't world class, Bring in Forster.

RB- fine so long as Jenk comes back, Debuchy injuries have been freak accidents.

CB- need a new starting CB, Gabriel and Mert are bench quality at best, not sure who exactly we need in terms of names, but a strong CB no doubt.

LB- I'd say we're OK, Gibbs and Monreal have been solid all year.

CDM- need a starting/ experienced CDM, sell Flam, release Diaby, Coq has potential but if he gets injured/ dips in form we're ****ed. Sneiderlain, Wanyama, Bender, any of them I'd be pleased with.

CM- sorted really, Ramsey, Scrappy Doo playing well, Arteta as 3rd choice/ sell him.

CAM- sorted really, Ozil, Cazorla nothing much else needed.

LW- Need a new winger, Sanchez is good but could see him getting injured/ overworking/ 2nd season syndrome. A Pedro would be a decent option to have.

RW- not needed, Ox and Walcott are ample, sell Campbell and Poldi and Sanogo #deadwood. Actually maybe not Campbell and possibly keep Poldi, both can be decent 3rd options in the front 3 positions.

ST- Giroud is good, close to world class tbh, no matter what the haters say, strong, good finisher, nice. But a 2nd option is needed, Lacazette, Benzema maybe.

So, in all honesty, we're a starting GK, CB, CDM, and a 2nd option ST and Winger away from challenging imo. Long, long way to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    We lost to United, Middlesbrough twice, Inter, Chelsea and Kiev.
    I know, it's just funny that you got beat six times in an "unbeaten season".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Liverpool have UTD then us back to back. Imagine if they lose both!!!!!
    Banter levels will reach the roof!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depleted)
    Banter levels will reach the roof!!!!

Hahahah yeah unreal banter as some might say!!1!!1
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Newcastle away isn't even funny, only good side is that they haven't got Cisse which means one less issue for us.

ReputationRep:
    Can't afford to slip up this weekend, Newcastle away is just standard slip up 2 points dropped fixture tbh.

City should win, although West Brom are looking decent, Spurs will win as win Soton (not ruling either out just yet).

Hull away should be easy enough for Chelsea.

If we win we can be in a VERY strong position for top 4 as either United or Liverpool (or both) will drop points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Wall of text.

1. See here the problem, by your metric it is not good enough because you feel entitled to league title wins. You expect the guy to rebuild a team in the matter of 1-2 seasons after having an actual transfer budget that is competitive. Ignoring the fact about his service to the club, ignoring the fact that he won silverware last season and is expected to do so again this year. Ignoring the fact that we have increasing revenue every single year. But go ahead, slate the man because he is not Man City and can not afford to spunk millions on dross in the hope that some of it sticks. The guy has very little margin for error in the transfer market, it is like he is playing with his hands tied behind his back. Transfers? Yes, he can buy. But, we have a set wage structure that means we cannot afford to spunk £300k or whatever it is on the type of players the other clubs can. We are not Utd, City, Chelsea in financial clout, we are punching above our weight. You see things through a very narrow lens, that is your problem. But I am supposedly the narrow minded one in supporting what the man is doing and has done?

2. "Today is not about spending or not spending" You call me deluded? Tell that to the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid who can afford £40-50m failures in their team building experiments. We are having a team building experiment but can pay nowhere near that for failures. Also, people forget that those teams can either just straight up ignore FFP (they may get punished) or they can sell their stars to fund buys for other stars (e.g. Di Maria, Higuain, Ozil).

3. "I didn't say we need to go down the City and Chelsea route" So you admit the guy has hands tied behind is back and yet you still expect him to work miracles? Tell me how that is not unreasonable and spoilt.

4. People like me are realistic, not spoilt. If anything, I would argue that you are unrealistic and most definitely spoilt.

5. "Because the great Arsene Wenger will fix it" Look at his track record, it is exceptional. CL qualifications every single year with very little transfer budget. He has started winning trophies again. He has started beating big teams again. He is on the verge of another trophy again.
    You want microwave quick progress? Thats not how it works dear. This is not a computer game.

6. Realistically we should be beating a Monaco team who haven’t been in the CL for near enough 10 years and not pulling up any trees in their league. Not to mention the calibre of players we have.
    This is the CL where the team with fewest errors go through. You can have a great team but defensive errors will cost you. We are not entitled to get through this type of game. Look at the Real teams of the past that have struggled, look at a great Juve team struggling, look at City's struggles. Monaco are a great young team and their players will be poached by bigger clubs, I am pretty sure of that.

7. In the league we were a frontrunner last year. To be a frontrunner realistically in the CL you have to win your league and be convincing. So you are saying we had to win the league this season or come close to it? It just does not happen that easily. Fair enough you can fluke a serious challenge like Liverpool did last time round, but they have shown the same problems of inconsistency as us last time. And they have the most comparable transfer spend to us in recent seasons I would say we should be judged on their level.
    To claim you don't want instantaneous success is a fallacy. We all do. But the thing is, you are unreasonable. As a club in the present day in terms of resources (not inc. history) we are on the level of Liverpool. Certainly not United, Chelsea and City.

8. Who is revelling in failure? I most certainly am not. I think it is very disheartening. But when I rationalise the context. I am not lamenting like the idiots who come here everytime we lose do.

9. So a bigger points difference between us and the winners plus the cup isn’t progress, if anything, its regression. The league position is what what counts. If we finish 4th people would just be able to say "oh they finished 4th again". And it would mean progress because it will mean we have beaten the other teams to that place, something which we could not do last season. And looking at the fixtures, it would have meant we played better in big games.

10. I get bored of the constant failing Go and support Chelsea then. You do nothing but whine and claim you do not expect microwave quick progress and miracles.

11. I have been with them through the good and will continue to do so. Yeah, that is your problem. You have been with them "through the good" only and are acting like an entitled brat when we are going through a 'rough patch' that other clubs can only dream of (Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Everton... I am looking at you guys). At your early age you have only known success at the club and forget that prior to Rocastle/Thomas and that lot we had not won the league in years and years (20 I believe). To say you are not spoilt is just fallacy. Wenger's winning years were a real special occassion at this club and not one that can be seen as a era that is just a given to be repeated. The landscape has totally changed.
    I’m not entitled to think we should be winning league titles but I am entitled to think that the least we should be doing is competing. Which we aren’t. Look at the club, we are in the perfect position to be challenging for serious honours, but if anything, we will be further away from the title than last year. That’s not spoilt, that is the reality.

His service in the past should not come into the conversation now, if we have now moved on from that transitional period, he should be judged differently and have different expectations. Wenger of 2015 is not the Wenger of yesteryear, he still has the same limitations he once did and now that the face of football has changed we may need a change.

Lol, you are beginning to sound like Gazidis with all this “increasing revenue every single year” I didn’t ever suggest he needed to go out there and spend £150m a season like you seem to think I had. He made a complete error by not signing a world class striker in 2013, and botched another last year by not signing a DM, that’s an error in the transfer market.

We are not punching above our weight, 4th highest wage bill, usual expectations; 4th. We are essentially on par, only if we manage to finish second this season would we be punching above our weight.

You are the narrow minded one because you can only see it from the WengerIn side. I haven’t always thought it was time for him to go, I had to change from being as blinded as you. So I can see both sides, you can’t. What he is doing currently, is still not good enough. I never said he should be winning the league B and walking the CL. I just simply said he should be capable of having a team to compete for major honours (CL & League) and once again, we still don’t. How long are you prepared to wait for him to fully address the issues in the squad?

Yesterday wasn’t even about Wenger, it was about the naïvety in the squad. Take the 2-1, it’s a lot less of a mountain to climb than 3-1. It’s not the first time, we’ve been caught on the break last minute, and won’t be the last.

Well, initially it wasn’t. It was about the fact that we couldn’t beat a team of Monaco’s calibre over two legs. You, brought the finances into the conversation like so many AKBs do.

You still think we are this poverty team with no cash now don’t you?! We are stinking rich!

HE HAD! He no longer does, I never once said he should be winning everything, I simply said he should be at least competing. Can take losing and missing out, so long as we are actually having a go and not just making up numbers. That is perfectly reasonable.

Unrealistic and spoilt because I want my team to compete and beat a team like Monaco over two legs in the CL? Lol, and you are realistic because you want to finish 4th every season, and not get past the R16?

3 league titles, 5 FA Cups and nothing is Europe in 18 years is not exceptional. If you mean his track record for finishing 4th then he’s the best man for the job. CL qualification was required because of the stadium move, but now the circumstances have changed, the remit for success should also. Listen love, like I previously said, all I want is us to compete, which if you look at the league table and CL, we aren’t.

This defeatist attitude, its rife amongst you AKBs. We are not entitled, but we should be. It’s Monaco, if it was a Madrid or a Bayern then I would understand, but it’s Monaco. City got Barca ffs, please don’t even attempt to draw comparisons between their situation and ours.

Last year! What about this year? Out of the title race before it barely begun. We are further away this season. We finished 7 points behind the eventual winners last season, that isn’t a massive gap, we should have done more to help us close it. Liverpool’s level would be no CL football for how many ever years, and given how much importance the club place on that competition from a financial standpoint, I’d rather not .Once again, making assumptions, I never said I wanted us to automatically win everything, just compete, that is all I want.

You have accepted the failure. There is nothing to rationalize, truth is, we went out at the hands of Monaco, a team we should have the beating of.

Okay, fair enough. The league position may count, but bar Chelsea, everyone has been awful this season so that should also be taken into account.

Please stop telling me to go and support Chelsea like that is actually an argument. We’ve gone out at the same stage in the CL for 5 years straight now, how is that not boring and a constant failure? Look at the circumstances and the opposition, this was the opportunity to finally get beyond the R16 and we still couldn’t do that. If we can’t beat Monaco, who can we beat?

My bad, I meant to write ‘good and bad’ the bad is more prevalent in my mind than the good. 1 cup in recent years, doesn’t balance out the previous years of falling short every season. Stop comparing us to Leeds, Notts Forest, Villa and Everton this isn’t the 70’s and 80’s, two of them are in the Championship and the other two are in the bottom half of the table. All I want is to compete, I don’t think we have a God given right to win like you seem to think I do, I just want us to challenge, we are not competing at the highest level.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe Ozil is getting stick from some on twitter, was probably our best player last night .

ReputationRep:
    lol what do you guys make of our own manger saying we should have dropped into the europa league? Is that ambitious? What sort of mentality is that for the players?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Can't believe Ozil is getting stick from some on twitter, was probably our best player last night .
    Ozil beasted it last night. If we had been more clinical and gone through everyone would have been saying that it's because of Ozil.

Smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    lol what do you guys make of our own manger saying we should have dropped into the europa league? Is that ambitious? What sort of mentality is that for the players?
    Quite a bizarre thing to say, but can't say I'm surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)

She's a special one alright. :lol: Therefore I think Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    This is why people who say "Oh we drew Monaco, we're deffo through to next round" look like complete idiots, when you undermine any football team it comes right back in your face. I knew from the offset it was going to be difficult, but can't believe how some people disregard any football team just because they're in some ****ty league, they're actually a reasonable team.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.