Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niraxas)
    All those who did the actual test was the UKCAT test a complete software or was it in a browser like chrome or something? o.o Cause what if we accidentally close the tab or something...
    Its a software. You can't do anything else but the test. Its in the same place you do your driving test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    would you say I would be more likely to get into Bristol or Notts with:
    7A* 3A(A's inc eng lang and maths),
    AAAB as AS, A's were in bio chem and maths,
    640 band 2 avg (600, 610 and 710 in the sections),
    volunteer work with disabled adults and at a hospice and WE in medical research department at a hospital and at a GP's?
    I understand Bristol is 70% ps, but unsure if UKCAT is high enough for Notts. (24/30)

ReputationRep:
    Is the quant on UKCAT ninja similar to the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikram99)
    For SJ, aim to get as many correct because there is no partial marks
    How do you know!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got theirs on the 20th???? It's so near omg I'm starting to panic now ://///

ReputationRep:
    hey! so in the ukcat exam, should you be trying to attempt all the questions or try to get as many as you can right??? my exam is on the 4th but i'm panicking and stressing cuz on medify in am getting 5/5 on the untimed questions and 9/20 on the timed sets ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    hey! so in the ukcat exam, should you be trying to attempt all the questions or try to get as many as you can right??? my exam is on the 4th but i'm panicking and stressing cuz on medify in am getting 5/5 on the untimed questions and 9/20 on the timed sets ((
    Its all about pacing yourself. The more you practice, the faster you'll get. Do as many as you can and guess the rest right at the end especially for VR. But know when to skip hard questions. No point wasting time on a hard question when you can easily do an easier one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Having done mine two days ago, I would strongly recommend that you try to finish every section and have an answer for every question (even if some are guessed, that's fine), having some luxury time to look over some. Use the flag for review button for harder questions to go back to them if you've taken a guess. But yeah I think it's better if you get through them all and guess the hard ones if need to rather than attempt all of them and have to guess randomly the last 5-10 questions. Guarantees you more of the easy marks at least going through them all and trying those you can do first. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding? Just take a step back and look at ur UKCAT scores for a minutes, that is very impressive. Band 2 should be acceptable, it's not like you got Band 3 or 4. You should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    How do you know!?!?!?
    There is partial marking.

ReputationRep:
    Your work experience and volunteering looks great so deffo try for Bristol. Your UKCAT score should pull you through for Bristol provided you personal statement is very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did my test yesterday and got 693 average.

VR: 500. The passages weren't any longer than medify for me but just had more paragraphs. Initially, I used the reading the question first and scanning for keywords approach during my practice but later got convinced into skimming the passages really quickly with alright comprehension and hoping for the best as I thought most of the questions were inference questions without any keywords. I was wrong obviously and should have used the former approach in hindsight. I was getting around 550 - 670 in mocks.

QR: 720. I was expecting QR to be straightforward and way easier from comments here but that was not the case for me at all. I'm pretty good at maths so I got 720 but they were not easy and I had to guess loads. I was getting around the same score in mocks.

AR: 860. Yeah really easy, there was only one set that I didn't manage to get which I subsequently skipped. I still had about 4 minutes to check all of the other questions tho. I was getting around 700 -750 in mocks.

SJT: Band 1. very easy. Read the good medical practice and just know stuff.

Not sure if it will be at all helpful but I have Medify for 3 more days which is just going to waste. I've done all the mocks but If you want the account to practice please PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swopnil)

VR: 500. The passages weren't any longer than medify for me but just had more paragraphs. Initially, I used the reading the question first and scanning for keywords approach during my practice but later got convinced into skimming the passages really quickly with alright comprehension and hoping for the best as I thought most of the questions were inference questions without any keywords. I was wrong obviously and should have used the former approach in hindsight. I was getting around 550 - 670 in mocks.

QR: 720. I was expecting QR to be straightforward and way easier from comments here but that was not the case for me at all. I'm pretty good at maths so I got 720 but they were not easy and I had to guess loads. I was getting around the same score in mocks.

AR: 860. Yeah really easy, there was only one set that I didn't manage to get which I subsequently skipped. I still had about 4 minutes to check all of the other questions tho. I was getting around 700 -750 in mocks.

Not sure if it will be at all helpful but I have Medify for 3 more days which is just going to waste. I've done all the mocks but If you want the account to practice please PM me.
    Hi

How much would you recommend revising a day before the actual exam if the exam is in the morning the next day and you have the whole previous day. I have a 1 medify mock and 2 UKCAT mocks left. What would be a good option in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BFCBP)
    Having done mine two days ago, I would strongly recommend that you try to finish every section and have an answer for every question (even if some are guessed, that's fine), having some luxury time to look over some. Use the flag for review button for harder questions to go back to them if you've taken a guess. But yeah I think it's better if you get through them all and guess the hard ones if need to rather than attempt all of them and have to guess randomly the last 5-10 questions. Guarantees you more of the easy marks at least going through them all and trying those you can do first. Hope this helps!
    Thanks! Will bear this in mind during practice

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how many true/false/cant tell sets they are in the real thing is it hopefully its the same as the mocks ive been doing which is always 4

ReputationRep:

Nice!

I am so screwed for Abstract! Please help with that section at all?

ReputationRep:
    How much would you recommend revising a day before the actual exam if the exam is in the morning the next day and you have the whole previous day. I have a 1 medify mock and 2 UKCAT mocks left. What would be a good option in your opinion?

ReputationRep:

Well done! Any advice on AR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    Well done! Any advice on AR?
    Don't count the shapes first. Don't panic and try to just take 30s to find the pattern and around 5-10s per shape set!! If you find a basic pattern and feel like there might be more, just go with it for now and flag it if you have time, you might be able to find more factors at the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoggie98)
    Anyone know how many true/false/cant tell sets they are in the real thing is it hopefully its the same as the mocks ive been doing which is always 4
    According to ukcat ninja it's 3 in real terms.

(Original post by BFCBP)
    Don't count the shapes first. Don't panic and try to just take 30s to find the pattern and around 5-10s per shape set!! If you find a basic pattern and feel like there might be more, just go with it for now and flag it if you have time, you might be able to find more factors at the end!
    Do you have any tips on how to judge a hard question at first glance?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.