Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wenger has to step down in the summer. Its an absolute disgrace that you aren't in the driving seat for the title. All the top clubs are having horrid seasons (bar maybe City but they ain't been consistent) and still Arsenal struggle to take initiative to win the league.

Title race is far from over yet imo, but its not looking good. Leicester just don't seem to give up and have been very consistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    That's not true. The number of people who believe he is has been going down over time, but even last summer a significant percentage of the fan base would've been happy for Wenger to sign a contract extension.
    I wasn't talking about Arsenal fans, I was talking about in general. I'm sure Arsenal fans have a bias towards keeping Wenger, but everyone outside have been chuffed that he's not going anywhere for close to a decade - the bigger teams know they won't beat them to the title, the smaller teams know they can 'bully' them off the pitch and take points off his team.

ReputationRep:
    how do you fail to beat a team playing 2 midfielders at CB? Jesus ****ing wept. Wengers contract should be terminated if he doesn't win the league this year. It'll never be this easy for him again

(Original post by AliRizzo)
    This lie is getting boring, there were only 2 'kids' in that lineup. You could count Lingard as well but he's been playing regularly this season.

We started with Rashford and Varela. Along with Carrick in defence and Lingard on the wing. And Rojo who hasn't started a game in months. In addition to that, it's still Memphis' first ever PL season. He's 22. And all 3 of our subs were youth players (although idk if Januzaj counts since he's been around the first team since he was 18/19. He's much better than Lingard anyway). Timothy Fosu-Mensah who came on in the 55th min to play LB turned 18 last month.

Arsenals best possible team (minus Cazorla) lost to that XI.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs got 2-2 playing one midfielder at CB. We made Utd's task easier by rushing Gabriel back (and being inept in our attacking as usual)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Spurs got 2-2 playing one midfielder at CB. We made Utd's task easier by rushing Gabriel back (and being inept in our attacking as usual)
    Gab didn't have the greatest of games but I think it would be premature to suggest Mertesacker would have done any better, the bloke is an absolute clown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    Wenger should have left after the 2014 FA Cup final tbh. Our board, however, are full of yes men who won't push him to take us forward and will let him leave when he wants instead of telling him to leave when he should.

Feel for you guys. Always painful losing a semifinal/final, especially on penalties.
    If you don't win it this season, I really think it's time to go.

Thanks for the condolences. Regardless of the perception of the League Cup, it's a legitimate piece of silverware and it would've been the shining light in a season largely full of darkness and despair.

I'm not bitter or angry about it - City are a class act and I don't dislike them at all. If we were gonna lose to a rival team, I'd much rather it be them.
    We tried our hardest and lost by the slightest of margins. We did ourselves proud by pushing City all the way but in the end it's for nothing.
    All we can do now is make sure we finish in a European spot and do our best in the EL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Give me reasons why Arsenal are better than Spurs this season

COYS
    They're not, but I just can't be heard saying we're going go all the way. Even being two off Leicester and three above the arse.

Doesn't mean we can't give it the beans though. COYS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    If you don't win it this season, I really think it's time to go.

Thanks for the condolences. Regardless of the perception of the League Cup, it's a legitimate piece of silverware and it would've been the shining light in a season largely full of darkness and despair.

I'm not bitter or angry about it - City are a class act and I don't dislike them at all. If we were gonna lose to a rival team, I'd much rather it be them.
    We tried our hardest and lost by the slightest of margins. We did ourselves proud by pushing City all the way but in the end it's for nothing.
    All we can do now is make sure we finish in a European spot and do our best in the EL.
    Absolutely. No excuses left.

Was hoping you'd win in order to detail City's title challenge. You could have snatched it in ET with that Origi chance aswell. Like you said, margins. Still a lot to play for for you lot this season. Be interesting to see how you get on next year after Klopp's had a full summer to stamp his mark on the team.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This lie is getting boring, there were only 2 'kids' in that lineup. You could count Lingard as well but he's been playing regularly this season.
    A Right Back making his 2nd ever league start in professional football
    A Left Back who was only half fit
    A CB pairing of slow, immobile defensive midfielders (Imagine Arsenal starting Flamini and Arteta at CB)
    A winger with 15 Premier League appearances to his name
    A winger that hadn't started a game since Boxing Day
    A striker making his first ever league start in professional football
    2 kids making their professional debuts off the bench, including 1 out of position (Fosu Mensah isn't a Left Back)

Our reserves vs a full strength Arsenal bar Cazorla.

Just admit you ****ed up and lost to our second team :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    A CB pairing of slow, immobile defensive midfielders (Imagine Arsenal starting Flamini and Arteta at CB)
    2 kids making their professional debuts off the bench, including 1 out of position (Fosu Mensah isn't a Left Back)

Meh. Every one of the Utd team apart from De Gea and Rashford could have been human-sized concrete blocks and Utd would still have scored first.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Meh. Every one of the Utd team apart from De Gea and Rashford could have been human-sized concrete blocks and Utd would still have scored first.
    We could have played Sir Bobby Charlton up front and still won the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

OK, that's one of the kids.
    Fit enough to start fit enough to play. Didn't look like he had any problems.
    That means nothing when you're playing a deep block though, is it?
    Again, I said he could be counted as a kid.
    Are you talking about Memphis here? If so this is really a poor attempt. He's played a lot since then and I'm pretty sure he started your last game so this is incorrect. If you're talking about Lingard then im 100% sure he's started since then (Chelsea springs to mind) so either way you're still incorrect.
    Again, that's one of the kids.
    Doesn't mean anything when they come off the bench and you're winning though.

Overall poor attempt for reps. I know we played shite and got beat by a bunch of shite players but saying it was a team of kids is absolute nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

post is spot on, but please change your avi, it will give me a migrane before too long.

ReputationRep:
    OK, that's one of the kids.
    Fit enough to start fit enough to play. Didn't look like he had any problems.
    That means nothing when you're playing a deep block though, is it?
    Again, I said he could be counted as a kid.
    Are you talking about Memphis here? If so this is really a poor attempt. He's played a lot since then and I'm pretty sure he started your last game so this is incorrect. If you're talking about Lingard then im 100% sure he's started since then (Chelsea springs to mind) so either way you're still incorrect.
    Again, that's one of the kids.
    Doesn't mean anything when they come off the bench and you're winning though.
    Overall poor attempt for reps. I know we played shite and got beat by a bunch of shite players but saying it was a team of kids is absolute nonsense.
    lol gtfo, delusion is strong with this one.
    As far as I'm concerned, this was our worst defeat in the last decade, due to factors this yernited fan specified, coupled with our position in the league going into the match. Bad defeats in previous years have come with us fielding inexperienced, crappy players, this Arsenal side was supposedly of different caliber.
    We are going to bottle the title to Leicester or Spurs. How does that sound?
    Forget the bs nitpicking you are doing, this result was completely indefensible.

ReputationRep:
    Kids or not kids, that was a bloody awful United side. There was an 18 year old up front ffs and you had a CM playing at CB whose slows as **** against the pace of Welbeck, Walcott and Sanchez. Arsenal had easily their best team out there (bar Cazorla) and couldn't beat a United side missing Martial, Smalling, Darmian, Shaw, Bastian and Young.

You really have to question the mentality of the Arsenal players. There's no way in hell Arsenal should have lost today especially when you're challenging for the title. How much more do you need to motivate the players? Title on the line and up against a depleted United side, more than enough reasons to motivate the players. One of the fancams on AFTV summed it up perfectly, Arsenal kept the likes of Neymar, Suarez and Messi quiet for like 70 minutes but struggled to contain an 18 year old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomasio)
    lol gtfo, delusion is strong with this one.
    As far as I'm concerned, this was our worst defeat in the last decade, due to factors this yernited fan specified, coupled with our position in the league going into the match. Bad defeats in previous years have come with us fielding inexperienced, crappy players, this Arsenal side was supposedly of different caliber.
    We are going to bottle the title to Leicester or Spurs. How does that sound?
    Forget the bs nitpicking you are doing, this result was completely indefensible.
    What bloody nitpicking? I said we didn't get beat by a team of kids, because they weren't fuc*ing kids. Should we have beaten them? Of course, I'm not contesting that and I agree it's indefensible. It was an embarrassing defeat so I'm not sure where you're getting this delusion from.

ReputationRep:
    Take the L and move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)

We started with Rashford and Varela. Along with Carrick in defence and Lingard on the wing. And Rojo who hasn't started a game in months. In addition to that, it's still Memphis' first ever PL season. He's 22. And all 3 of our subs were youth players (although idk if Januzaj counts since he's been around the first team since he was 18/19. He's much better than Lingard anyway). Timothy Fosu-Mensah who came on in the 55th min to play LB turned 18 last month.

Arsenals best possible team (minus Cazorla) lost to that XI.
    OK, I'm not defending the team, what is wrong with you people? Can you read? I said it wasn't a team of kids because it f*king wasn't. THAT'S IT. I don't care how shite your senior players are, that doesn't make them kids. City's XI against Chelsea is a team of kids, this wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal are a broken team they know Leicester are better than them they don't believe in themselves

ReputationRep:
    The problem is we have a few stars. The likes of Cech, Ozil, Coquelin and Sanchez. Then the rest of the team is so goddamn mediocre.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.