The Ultimate England Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Panthalic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If Carragher goes to the World Cup, Capello is mad. If King doesn't go to the World Cup, Capello is mad.

We should petition Nick Clegg to make the mandatory inclusion of King part of the power sharing conditions. ******** to electoral reform, this is important.
JimboBlue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why are people messing about with the formation....

We've played 4-4-2 throughout in the lead up... In preparation for the World Cup. I highly doubt Capello's going to move away from the 4-4-2.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JimboBlue)
Why are people messing about with the formation....

We've played 4-4-2 throughout in the lead up... In preparation for the World Cup. I highly doubt Capello's going to move away from the 4-4-2.
who said about changing it
JimboBlue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
who said about changing it
A few other some pages back... and yourself.
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A few other some pages back... and yourself.
you are getting me wrong

spurs play 2 formations - with and without the ball,

swap king for barry in a 4-4-2 then we can do the same

johnson rio terry cole
lennon king lamps gerrard
rooney defoe

if we are winning say with 20 misn to go

--------king rio terry
johnson----------------cole

----lamps gerrard someonelse
--------rooney ---defoe
JimboBlue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you are getting me wrong

spurs play 2 formations - with and without the ball,

swap king for barry in a 4-4-2 then we can do the same

johnson rio terry cole
lennon king lamps gerrard
rooney defoe

if we are winning say with 20 misn to go

--------king rio terry
johnson----------------cole

----lamps gerrard someonelse
--------rooney ---defoe
I see now, though wouldn't really want King in the CM position especially not at the start of the game. Barry needs to get well sharpish!
jermaindefoe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I see now, though wouldn't really want King in the CM position especially not at the start of the game. Barry needs to get well sharpish!
he was a cm by trade - only went to cb 5 years ago
JimboBlue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
he was a cm by trade - only went to cb 5 years ago
5 years ago, its a bit of a risk chucking him into starting position at the World Cup in that position.
thegaffer91
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok people, Fabio is going to announce his 30 man provisional squad tomorrow, what do you think it will be?

This is what I reckon

GK: James, Green, Hart, Robinson
DEF: Brown, Johnson, Cole, Baines, Ferdinand, King, Terry, Upson, Dawson
MID: Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Barry, Milner, Downing, Young
ATT: Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, Crouch, Bent, Zamora, C.Cole

If you wanna make it a bit more interesting, positive rep to anyone who gets all 30 correct?
(obviously mine isn't very attractive, so if any highly repped people would like to offer to hand out any required rep i would be grateful)

Get speculating!
Singh_2
Badges: 1
Report 8 years ago
I'd rather just wait till he announces it. Speculation is pointless.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thegaffer91)
Ok people, Fabio is going to announce his 30 man provisional squad tomorrow, what do you think it will be?

This is what I reckon

MID: Lennon, Walcott, SWP, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Barry, Milner, Downing, Young

If you wanna make it a bit more interesting, positive rep to anyone who gets all 30 correct?
(obviously mine isn't very attractive, so if any highly repped people would like to offer to hand out any required rep i would be grateful)

Get speculating!
Don't beg for rep, it's pathetic.

I'd prefer to see Adam Johnson in the team over Walcott and I'm an Arsenal fan.

Downing's overrated and shouldn't even be considered as England material, bring back Scholes for Barry(who will miss the WC).
iammealrightpee24k
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd expect Carragher to be in as full back, other than that i'd say you have it sussed. If Barry gotten over his injury by then that is. I wouldn't expect to see Brown there either.

But since Algeria are in the same group as England I'm supporting Algeria. Old habits die hard though I am still pretty interested to see what England's squad will be like, but it's pretty predictable.
munn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's not really many others in contention to be honest. I don't think Wes Brown will make it, Barry won't make the squad with his injury
Adam Johnson

I think I'll break it down to the certainties then pick from there:

GK: James, Green, Hart, Robinson (the only 4 to choose from I think he'll pick all of them)
DEF: Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Cole, King, Upson, Dawson
MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Lennon, Milner
STR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

That's 20, so in reality there's probably only 4 spots available for the final squad (as only 3 goalkeepers will go obviously), so he'll be taking a look at the other 9 to whittle it down

The possibles are:

DEF: Baines, Jagielka, Neville, Brown, Richards
MID: Hargreaves, Huddlestone, Johnson, Downing, Young, Parker, SWP, Carrick
STR: Bent, Zamora, Agbonlahor, Cole

I think Bent and Zamora on their form HAVE to be taken, so that leaves 7 choices from the rest of the pitch. If I were in Capellos position I would be picking Baines and Jagielka, so i think they will make the 30 and so I have to pick 5 midfielders.
Clearly with Gerrard, Lampard and Milner in the squad CM pretty much picks itself, so he'll only be looking to see how the other CMs fit in his system. For that reason I think Hargreaves will get picked despite his lack of game time. That leaves it down to the final 4 and that's where I come undone.

DEF: Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Cole, King, Upson, Dawson, Baines, Jagielka
MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Lennon, Milner, Hargreaves
STR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Zamora

That's the 26 I'm most sure about.
Then it's a toss up between Parker, Carrick, Johnson, Young, Huddlestone, SWP and Downing.
If I had to choose I reckon he'll go with the first 4.
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As long as Zamora is in it I couldn't care less.
Dnator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thought you were talking about the rugby team for the australia tour, bored now
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by munn)
There's not really many others in contention to be honest. I don't think Wes Brown will make it, Barry won't make the squad with his injury
Adam Johnson

I think I'll break it down to the certainties then pick from there:

GK: James, Green, Hart, Robinson (the only 4 to choose from I think he'll pick all of them)
DEF: Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Cole, King, Upson, Dawson
MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Lennon, Milner
STR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

That's 20, so in reality there's probably only 4 spots available for the final squad (as only 3 goalkeepers will go obviously), so he'll be taking a look at the other 9 to whittle it down

The possibles are:

DEF: Baines, Jagielka, Neville, Brown, Richards
MID: Hargreaves, Huddlestone, Johnson, Downing, Young, Parker, SWP, Carrick
STR: Bent, Zamora, Agbonlahor, Cole

I think Bent and Zamora on their form HAVE to be taken, so that leaves 7 choices from the rest of the pitch. If I were in Capellos position I would be picking Baines and Jagielka, so i think they will make the 30 and so I have to pick 5 midfielders.
Clearly with Gerrard, Lampard and Milner in the squad CM pretty much picks itself, so he'll only be looking to see how the other CMs fit in his system. For that reason I think Hargreaves will get picked despite his lack of game time. That leaves it down to the final 4 and that's where I come undone.

DEF: Terry, Ferdinand, Johnson, Cole, King, Upson, Dawson, Baines, Jagielka
MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Lennon, Milner, Hargreaves
STR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Zamora

That's the 26 I'm most sure about.
Then it's a toss up between Parker, Carrick, Johnson, Young, Huddlestone, SWP and Downing.
If I had to choose I reckon he'll go with the first 4.
Parker would be last, but for SWP, on that list IMO.
Singh_2
Badges: 1
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
Don't beg for rep, it's pathetic.

I'd prefer to see Adam Johnson in the team over Walcott and I'm an Arsenal fan.

Downing's overrated and shouldn't even be considered as England material, bring back Scholes.
He isn't begging for rep; he doesn't have much rep power so he would appreciate if someone with high rep power reps the person that guesses right. I thought the same as you at first but read it wrong.
_Ravi_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thegaffer91)

This is what I reckon

Get speculating!
I'm just trying to think of anyone not on the list but still a possibility. Here's what I've come up with:
Carragher, Joe Cole, Hargreaves, Gary Neville, Agbonlahor, Shawcross, Lescott

I have no idea really but I don't expect Zamora in the squad and probably not Dawson. Your midfield and keepers look spot on, though.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Singh_2)
He isn't begging for rep; he doesn't have much rep power so he would appreciate if someone with high rep power reps the person that guesses right. I thought the same as you at first but read it wrong.
Sounded like a rep plea tbh :rolleyes:
munn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iainthegreat)
Parker would be last, but for SWP, on that list IMO.
Yeah I think it could be any of Parker/SWP/Huddlestone, but if Hargreaves/Carrick go, Huddlestone is too similar so I don't think he'll make it, and if Walcott, Lennon, Young and Johnson all make the squad I don't think there's room for a fifth winger, that's why I went with Parker as he's combatitive, energetic and adds something slightly different in CM. Along with that he's pretty much the sole reason West Ham are still a premiership club.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads