Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere)
    This poem literally describes a black woman, defying the norm of fair-skinned women being around. So, what I've been thinking is that this 'Dark Lady' is in fact Martha Jones, who Shakespeare met in this episode. I'm not sure if this is just headcanon, or if it's genuine, but it's pretty smart of the writers to have made Martha Jones, the Doctor's only black companion (as far as I remember), make her meet Shakespeare so that she can be this 'Dark Lady' that in reality, no one knows much about.
    A bit of digging says that the episode's script explicitly has Shakespeare refer to Martha as his "Dark Lady" - so yes I think it's cannon

To quote Wikipedia:
    The episode makes reference to the many debates about Shakespeare's sexuality. Shakespeare flirts with Martha multiple times during the episode, and ultimately composes Sonnet 18 for her, calling her his "Dark Lady". This is a reference to the enigmatic female character in Shakespeare's Sonnets, although Sonnet 18 is in fact one of those addressed to a male character, the Fair Lord. Shakespeare subsequently flirts with the Doctor as well, at which the Doctor observes, "Fifty-seven academics just punched the air," a reference to the debates on this subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    A bit of digging says that the episode's script explicitly has Shakespeare refer to Martha as his "Dark Lady" - so yes I think it's cannon

To quote Wikipedia:
    That's true, thanks for mentioning. Also, I just remembered that Mickey was the Doctor's companion for a while xD.

As I say, I think it's awesome how DW draws on popular culture and also keeps with the times of the time period, providing explanations for otherwise unexplained events.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Surprisingly not as bad as I was thinking it would be!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think that the ending was a little predictable, and the fact that the police were zygon. Last week was better but it was ok to wrap up that story.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I thought that was excellent. The speech was surprisingly very good, compared to the last big one really attempted (Rings of Akhaten), although I think Capaldi is far more suited to that level of darkness and power than Smiths more goofy doctor. Definitely one of my favourite storylines in quite a while.

I thought that was just really boring and I didn't know what was happening.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally fed up of the unqualified, unbridled pacifism that wreck script after script with its childish, naive nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Clara can't go soon enough

ReputationRep:
    Thought that was fantastic. Great to have a good actor playing the Doctor again.

ReputationRep:
    outstanding episode, one of the best of the series since it's return imho, Capaldi was outstanding as well, love him as the Doctor

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god...

That scene with the boxes and the big speech by the Doctor...

By far the best scene I remember from the entire Moffat era
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Oh my god...

Agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Kool_Panda)
    Oh my god...

You can't be serious!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    You can't be serious!
    Why? It was a fantastic scene and speech, it's definitely Capaldis defining moment as the doctor
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    anyone have a clue what is going on in tonight's ep? i certainly don't...

ReputationRep:
    That was... Confusing!

And next week's episode looks like it's basically going to be set in Diagon Alley :rofl:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Voice for next week sounded like the Immortal woman from GOT.

ReputationRep:
    I've got to admit- I got bored within 5 minutes and from then was just waiting for next weeks preview

ReputationRep:
    Space Peep Show

Also sounded like Maisie Williams at the end of the preview

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cannot believe Mark Gatiss wrote that, i thought it was garbage! Maybe it wasn't the script entirely but more the direction and editing, utter rubbish.

By direction and editing, i mean the stupid flickering and camera direction being through point of eyes; it got irritating very quickly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.