Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Out of those names I'm only really excited about Higuain, Bender/Fellaini . Dont see why we should pay a washed up GK like Cesar 60k a week when we could sign someone like Adler on lower wages(and Szczesny is fine IMO anyway). Rooney is never happening, not in a million years, his wage demands must be in the 200k range.

Very pleased on how the deadwood cull is shaping up though. 9m for Bendtner/Mannone/Djourou and probably a good 300k freed up in wages thus far. Suspect Chamakh will get released before long as he only has a year left anyway so that'll be another 60k and if we're very lucky, someone will come in for Gervinho too. He tore up Ligue 1 so apparently lots of interest there at 6m ish which would be fantastic.

Our squad looks light in places though. We need a 4th CB obviously and assuming Diaby/Rosicky spend most of the season on the treatment table, I think as well as a DM, we need a CAM too. On the wings we have Walcott, AOC, Podolski so if Gervinho goes another winger would be useful too.
    I think an ideal summer would look something like this (I know some of these deals have already been done):

In:
    Striker: Higuain, Sanogo
    Midfield: Grenier, Bender/Fellaini (you know the type of player I'm talking about)
    Defence: Young centre back, right back if Sagna leaves

Out:
    Arshavin
    Djourou
    Squillaci
    Chamakh
    Mannone
    Santos (unlikely)
    The Greatest Striker That Ever Lived
    Gervinho (if we can get a decent replacement)
    Park

I personally don't think we need another keeper; Szczesny and Fabianski should cut it. Higuain would bring quality up front, Grenier would provide cover for our thin wing and attacking midfield positions (especially with Wilshere and Rosicky injured frequently), a defensive midfielder would fill a void in our deeper midfield and add depth and a young defender would allow us to rotate while suppllementing an aging central defense.

We could line up like this:

-------------------------------------Szczesny (Fab)---------------------------------------

Bac (Jenks)-------Mert (Vermaelen)------Kos (young CB)------Gibbs (Monreal)--------------

--------------------Bender (Ramsey)---------Artekkers (Wilshere)--------------------------

Walcao (Ox)-------------Rosicky (Grenier, Wilshere)------------Cazorla (Podolski)-----------

-------------------------------------Higuain (Giroud)--------------------------------------

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *******1)
    Park
    he always confused me... it was such a wierd situation, something behind the scenes must have happened, because he just never seemed to get off the ground..

at Celta de Vigo, though, when he was on loan - he looked alright... yeah not great, and not 'arsenal standard' - but he looked like he had potential, and promise to be better then some of the other deadwood who still got a few games..

ReputationRep:

-------------------------------------Szczesny (Fab)---------------------------------------

Bac (Jenks)-------Mert (Vermaelen)------Kos (young CB)------Gibbs (Monreal)--------------

--------------------Bender (Ramsey)---------Artekkers (Wilshere)--------------------------

Walcao (Ox)-------------Rosicky (Grenier, Wilshere)------------Cazorla (Podolski)-----------

-------------------------------------Higuain (Giroud)--------------------------------------
    How did you end up with Wilshere not as a starter? First name on the team-sheet mate.

ReputationRep:
    How did you end up with Wilshere not as a starter? First name on the team-sheet mate.
    No player should just come back into the team if the others are playing well and don't deserve to be dropped even if it is someone as important as Wilshere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First name on the team sheet would be Cazorla.

I'm not doubting Wilshere's talent but my lineup was based on end-of-season form.

I also don't think that any player should be a guaranteed starter. Wilshere, even though he is Jack the Lad etc., needs to earn a spot on the team sheet like everyone else. Our best form also came when he was off the field.

(Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    No player should just come back into the team if the others are playing well and don't deserve to be dropped even if it is someone as important as Wilshere
    This.

ReputationRep:

I'm not doubting Wilshere's talent but my lineup was based on end-of-season form.

I also don't think that any player should be a guaranteed starter. Wilshere, even though he is Jack the Lad etc., needs to earn a spot on the team sheet like everyone else. Our best form also came when he was off the field.

This.
    We got our best results while he was laid off injured but that was labouring past teams riding our luck leaning on kos and bfg if you go back to our best displays this season jack played in near enough all of them

ReputationRep:

Wilshere was our best player for most of the games he played. I think he's earned a spot tbh. Our attack and midfield was very poor for the run in and we have our defense to thank for the CL spot. Wilshere is also a very very consistent player, more so than Cazorla, and I'd have him over Santi any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    We got our best results while he was laid off injured but that was labouring past teams riding our luck leaning on kos and bfg if you go back to our best displays this season jack played in near enough all of them
    Wilshere was our best player for most of the games he played. I think he's earned a spot tbh. Our attack and midfield was very poor for the run in and we have our defense to thank for the CL spot. Wilshere is also a very very consistent player, more so than Cazorla, and I'd have him over Santi any day of the week.
    Again, I'm not doubting his ability, I just don't see the point in disrupting a winning formula before it stops working. You may say that our results without him were all luck but we got our best form without him. I wouldn't start him next season until our end-of-season tactics fail or if another player's (maybe Rosicky) form dips.

ReputationRep:
    Again, I'm not doubting his ability, I just don't see the point in disrupting a winning formula before it stops working. You may say that our results without him were all luck but we got our best form without him. I wouldn't start him next season until our end-of-season tactics fail or if another player's (maybe Rosicky) form dips.
    Why does Ramsey get sacked off then ? He was as important as anyone in helping us be solid at the back and offer little going forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Why does Ramsey get sacked off then ? He was as important as anyone in helping us be solid at the back and offer little going forward
    I think you guys have interpreted by post as a 'preferred lineup' rather than just a possible lineup (which is what I actually posted).

I felt that, on most recent form, I'd have to put Wilshere in the bracket but the whole point of the brackets was to show that any option could easily start. If I wanted to say that Wilshere would likely not start I would have put a substitutes section in and placed him on the bench. I didn't say that Wilshere would not be a primary option, just that Rosicky also deserves a fair crack of the whip given his form.

Regarding Ramsey:

>Arteta would probably start. Wenger clearly thinks he is important (he even tried to play him on the last day even though he was injured).
    >If Wenger really did splash a large amount on Bender, he would probably start over Ramsey (again, this is just a guess).
    >In the lineup I posted, I don't see why he couldn't alternate with Bender frequently.

ReputationRep:
    Bender isn't going anywhere... unless Wenger meets his 24M release clause... anything less will be rejected

ReputationRep:
    Also heard that Arsenal are closing in on a deal with QPR for Cesar... reportedly £1.5M :eyeball:

ReputationRep:

Lovechild of Falcao and Walcott? Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Lovechild of Falcao and Walcott? Nice.
    aka Lord Theo Jnr.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: Artekkers over Wilshere. I'm in a bliss right now.

Anyways, just realised that Sanogo isn't a 'one for the future' buy, he's going to definitely be a squad player next year with cameos in bone fide matches (aka PL). No way he would've joined us otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what all the hype is about considering he's only played in Ligue 2...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BallonD'or)
    I don't see what all the hype is about considering he's only played in Ligue 2...
    There really isn't a hype though. There's an unhype about his signing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    There really isn't a hype though. There's an unhype about his signing.
    The 'unhype' probably has to do with the fact that he is French more than anything. I'm not one of those who thinks that makes a difference though and it really does annoy me when the football world insists that Wenger only buys French players. Cant name a player other than Giroud who is French in our squad.

Never seen him play but how bad can it be considering we got him free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    The 'unhype' probably has to do with the fact that he is French more than anything. I'm not one of those who thinks that makes a difference though and it really does annoy me when the football world insists that Wenger only buys French players. Cant name a player other than Giroud who is French in our squad.

coquelin, kos, sagna, diaby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    :lol: Artekkers over Wilshere. I'm in a bliss right now.

Anyways, just realised that Sanogo isn't a 'one for the future' buy, he's going to definitely be a squad player next year with cameos in bone fide matches (aka PL). No way he would've joined us otherwise.
    Well, I'm not even sure where Jack will play in 13/14. Obviously he's an adaptable, talented player, but I don't know where Arsene is going to play him. I'm also not sure about Sanogo. On one hand, we've had a massive academy cull, on the other you might be right; he could probably cope in the milk cup.

(Original post by jibberish)

We do have a fair few french players:
    >Kosc
    >Sagna
    >Coquelin
    >Giroud
    >(Edit) Diaby

But I get what you mean. It does get blown way out of proportion.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.