Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    It takes a little little longer for some people to get there. I used to feel sick with fear sometimes before I went into teach in the first half of term and now I don't feel like that so much. I feel the same as you about jobs - I don't think I'm teaching well enough at the moment to deliver a lesson that's up to interview standards , and am worried I won't be ready for my NQT.

I think it's such a shame that people drop out or fail their PGCE because they have bad schools/Unis/mentors when they probably would have gone on to be good teachers. It's really bad that schools take on trainees and then don't/can't support them.
    I was alright until last week! Now I'm having nightmares about turning up at school without my planning, or waking up panicking that I've missed school (on a Saturday). My uni are being good about it, they are offering me more support if I'm still struggling by the end of tomorrow. it does involve going through a formal process though, and it's only making me feel more pressured! Nobody wants a bad mark on their record.

Luckily we have lots of teaching time until the end of the year so I'm sure we'll be fine. No matter how bad it gets, I'm not going to be a drop out. They'll have to try harder than that to get rid of me! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    It takes a little little longer for some people to get there. I used to feel sick with fear sometimes before I went into teach in the first half of term and now I don't feel like that so much. I feel the same as you about jobs - I don't think I'm teaching well enough at the moment to deliver a lesson that's up to interview standards , and am worried I won't be ready for my NQT.

I think it's such a shame that people drop out or fail their PGCE because they have bad schools/Unis/mentors when they probably would have gone on to be good teachers. It's really bad that schools take on trainees and then don't/can't support them.
    I think that's possibly whats going to happen to me. As I started my placement so late I'm going to have to rush my observations even though I don't feel confident enough yet. If I'd started in October like I was meant too I could've built up my confidence and spread them throughout the year (at this point I am suppose to have 50 hours and at least two observations; I only have 12 hours and none). I have a reflective journal due in Wednesday and I have barely anything to reflect on! I'm a bit reluctant to do it as I possibly won't be returning after half term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I don't feel confident having done teaching hours; I don't actually feel like I belong anywhere. I regret doing it in the first place as I can't even get work done as I don't have enough teaching experience to reflect on. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to finish the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand completely! During my placements I feel I missed out with my friends, split up with my boyfriend and always was stressed.

I used to feel anxious starting the placement and often had nightmares about it as I was worried about everything; the classes, paperwork and hours needed.

Strangely enough I had a horrible placement in my 3rd year where I fell out with my mentor and dropped QTS. I feel a lot better now and turns out to have been a good decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    I understand completely! During my placements I feel I missed out with my friends, split up with my boyfriend and always was stressed.

I used to feel anxious starting the placement and often had nightmares about it as I was worried about everything; the classes, paperwork and hours needed.

Strangely enough I had a horrible placement in my 3rd year where I fell out with my mentor and dropped QTS. I feel a lot better now and turns out to have been a good decision.
    I have the opposite problem; I started my placement late (no fault of my own)so I've barely had any experience and might not even get enough teaching hours to complete the course. Ironically before I started I was worried I'd be swamped down with work! I'm going to drop out after half term if my hours don't get sorted; I was having doubts but thought I'd stick it out but considering I might not even pass I don't think its worth it. What you doing now if you don't mind me asking? I'd still like to work in education but I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the opposite problem; I started my placement late (no fault of my own)so I've barely had any experience and might not even get enough teaching hours to complete the course. Ironically before I started I was worried I'd be swamped down with work! I'm going to drop out after half term if my hours don't get sorted; I was having doubts but thought I'd stick it out but considering I might not even pass I don't think its worth it. What you doing now if you don't mind me asking? I'd still like to work in education but I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you spoken to your University. It is theirs along with the school's obligation to ensure you get the hours and support you should get. You should not be penalised for this. This is out of your control and completely unfair on you!

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your University. It is theirs along with the school's obligation to ensure you get the hours and support you should get. You should not be penalised for this. This is out of your control and completely unfair on you!
    Its not the university itself. I'm doing FE and I'm with a partnership college (I do both my classes and placement there). I spoke to my tutors and I was just fobbed off; one even told me I should stay because even if I don't pass "it might help build my confidence" :facepalm: I can complete the remaining hours in September however I won't be paid for them or be able to get any student loan/benefits as I don't have children; as I'm 30 and have bills to pay this isn't financially viable for me (I wouldn't trust them to get me those hours anyway!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its not the university itself. I'm doing FE and I'm with a partnership college (I do both my classes and placement there). I spoke to my tutors and I was just fobbed off; one even told me I should stay because even if I don't pass "it might help build my confidence" :facepalm: I can complete the remaining hours in September however I won't be paid for them or be able to get any student loan/benefits as I don't have children; as I'm 30 and have bills to pay this isn't financially viable for me (I wouldn't trust them to get me those hours anyway!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that is a pain! I don't know what to suggest. I really hope it works out. I think some times these organisations forget that we are people and have other committments.
    I had that when when I dropped out of my placement. It was considered to be on a medical grounds and someone said to me: "It is fine. It won't count as a fail, you can just repeat it in the Summer Holidays". First thing I was thinking was "but I am busy in the holidays. I need to work!"

ReputationRep:
    Oh that is a pain! I don't know what to suggest. I really hope it works out. I think some times these organisations forget that we are people and have other committments.
    I had that when when I dropped out of my placement. It was considered to be on a medical grounds and someone said to me: "It is fine. It won't count as a fail, you can just repeat it in the Summer Holidays". First thing I was thinking was "but I am busy in the holidays. I need to work!"
    Thanks. I spoke to my mentor on Thursday and she said she'd sort it out for me and get back to me on Friday morning but I've heard nothing back yet. Tell me about it, I get the impression they think everyone has rich parents/partner they can sponge off or thousands stashed away in the bank!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broadhallian)
    Out of the 25 who started the PGCE with me in 2012, I think around only 15 are still teaching last I heard, and only 13 are teaching within the United Kingdom.
    It seems to be the same everywhere. I did a 4 year QTS degree (2008-2012). We started the first year with 92 students, by the 3rd year we were down to 65. Only about 62 (I believe graduated, although 3 deferred a year rather than quit). Oh which 6 graduated without QTS, which brings us down to 56. I know 2 personally who decided they didn't want to teach anymore. I know a few who didn't get jobs in the first year and now are in the vicious circle as they don't get pass the interview stage for jobs and are told it is due to lack of experience as they graduated 2 years ago now. However as they can't get a job they can't get any experience.

I have lost touch with many but I would predict only 40-52 actually teach in the UK; i.e. half of which who started the course.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is really awful. I hope you manage to sort it out - it seems so wrong that this has ended up happening. I think you should kick up a big fuss. Don't lose hope as it could be possible to still complete your 100 hours in the time left - even if you taught say 9 hours a week? X

ReputationRep:
    This is really awful. I hope you manage to sort it out - it seems so wrong that this has ended up happening. I think you should kick up a big fuss. Don't lose hope as it could be possible to still complete your 100 hours in the time left - even if you taught say 9 hours a week? X
    Well I'm going to be doing at least 7.5 hours after half term for four weeks but I still don't think it'll be enough. There's a few others in my class in a similar position to me and I think there's even one or two who still haven't got any teaching hours at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Having to add two weeks onto my course because I'm off due to an operation. Very annoying when you just want to get the course over with...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm going to be doing at least 7.5 hours after half term for four weeks but I still don't think it'll be enough. There's a few others in my class in a similar position to me and I think there's even one or two who still haven't got any teaching hours at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How have they let it get this late without giving you all teaching hours? How are the others feeling about it all? :/ They can't just expect you all to come back in September to complete your hours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    How have they let it get this late without giving you all teaching hours? How are the others feeling about it all? :/ They can't just expect you all to come back in September to complete your hours!
    Dunno why its happened; only three people in the class started their placement in October like we were suppose to. A few are worrying that they won't get the hours in like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, do you think it is ever worth ignoring an essential criteria on a job application, ie, applying even if you don't meet them? We all know job apps take quite a bit of time, but I'm just wondering whether they ever seen past not meeting essential things :dontknow: . I know it sounds like a stupid question seeing as yes, they are essential, but a lot of my course friends seem to be ignoring them. I don't know if it's a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Out of curiosity, do you think it is ever worth ignoring an essential criteria on a job application, ie, applying even if you don't meet them? We all know job apps take quite a bit of time, but I'm just wondering whether they ever seen past not meeting essential things :dontknow: . I know it sounds like a stupid question seeing as yes, they are essential, but a lot of my course friends seem to be ignoring them. I don't know if it's a waste of time.
    I would have assumed they were essential for a reason and save my time for jobs I have more of a chance at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I've heard anecdotal stories of people getting jobs without meeting the essential criteria but I don't actually personally know of anyone.

Arggh have to fill out my PDPs for tomorrow but can't do most of them as I haven't had any observations/formal meetings with my mentor yet :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
    Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
    Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped
    Can you exit them to another classroom rather than making a show of sending them outside?

Quietly take them aside and explain the situation. If they continue to misbehave - they will be exited to another classroom. Inform their form tutor and consider phoning home.

You can also try another punishment rather than sending them outside (not that I can think of one at the moment I'm afraid)

ReputationRep:
    So I passed my first assignment with masters credits (so surprised and relieved...)
    Had my interview today too, I feel like it went well but there were 4 of us for the same position so I'm really unsure!

I got told I'd find out between 6-7 tonight and I feel so nervous!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.