Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    On another note does anybody ever wish they were training to be a vet?

ReputationRep:
    On another note does anybody ever wish they were training to be a vet? Whenever I visit a zoo/theme park with animals I always think I should have been training as a vet and that zoo vets have the best jobs in the world. Hmm.
    It would be a pretty cool job, vetsci is supposed to be solid though, even harder than medicine I've heard!

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    So jealous - sounds like it was an amazing experience and you must have been pretty good at it for them to ask you back! :cool:

Very useful having that roadside experience too, I'm sure.. I saw an accident last week (a girl standing on the corner of a pavement was knocked over by the back of a construction lorry turning the corner) and was amazed by how ill prepared I felt - DR ABCs were fine, no serious bleeding, but I think she must have broken both her legs.. I could only keep her warm for the shock and waited for the ambulance with her, keeping her neck and back still just in case.

Coming across something like that for the first time was scary - of course in retrospect there wasn't anything more I could do (I don't think?) but I didn't come across very confident at all.. So I can definitely see how traveling with the parameds would be an invaluable experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    It would be a pretty cool job,

Although medical physics? How's that gone? Doing something like that I imagine would give you more of an appreciation for all the technology used and taken for granted every day in the medical profession, the romantic history of the discovery and development of the use of X-rays for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Hannibal Lecter)
    Although medical physics? How's that gone? Doing something like that I imagine would give you more of an appreciation for all the technology used and taken for granted every day in the medical profession, the romantic history of the discovery and development of the use of X-rays for example.
    Just going into it this year actually! I should have clarified that in my sig.

I am indeed looking forward to learning about the history of medical technology and the science behind it though Just started looking over the old a-level maths books, I'd forgotten how satisfying differentiation can be.. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Why all the vet hate? Hmm, maybe I should do some work experience or something.

ReputationRep:
    On another note does anybody ever wish they were training to be a vet? Whenever I visit a zoo/theme park with animals I always think I should have been training as a vet and that zoo vets have the best jobs in the world. Hmm.
    I wanted to be a vet for ages up until the last minute i applied on ucas. Didnt know if i had made the right decision for ages.
    Thing is in the end i dont know that i could have worked the insanely long hours and i prefer humans now.

ReputationRep:
    Why all the vet hate? Hmm, maybe I should do some work experience or something.
    I get it, but the type of position that sounds interesting (i.e., the one in the zoo you mentioned or in an exotic country in a wildlife reserve) is likely to be difficult to get in to and you'd end up birthing horses and putting aged labradors with arthritic hips down for years before, if you're lucky, getting the role you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I get it, but the type of position that sounds interesting (i.e., the one in the zoo you mentioned or in an exotic country in a wildlife reserve) is likely to be difficult to get in to and you'd end up birthing horses and putting aged labradors with arthritic hips down for years before, if you're lucky, getting the role you want.
    I think that's why I never did apply in the end. And hey, my 10 year old golden retreiver has athritic hips . Zoovet is kind of a pipe dream, I imagine the work isn't actually all that great either and a lot of "taking blood from a mile away to avoid getting mauled" every day.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the work isn't actually all that great either and a lot of "taking blood from a mile away to avoid getting mauled" every day.
    I lol'd.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's why I never did apply in the end. And hey, my 10 year old golden retreiver has athritic hips . Zoovet is kind of a pipe dream, I imagine the work isn't actually all that great either and a lot of "taking blood from a mile away to avoid getting mauled" every day.
    I think working in a zoo must be the worst job ever? you're working with beautiful creatures in a completely false environment so know that they'll never reach their potential. I'd love to work in a game park or animal rehabilitation but not a zoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I think working in a zoo must be the worst job ever? you're working with beautiful creatures in a completely false environment so know that they'll never reach their potential. I'd love to work in a game park or animal rehabilitation but not a zoo.
    That's what most vets in zoos do.

ReputationRep:
    BA (1st) isn't a proper post-nominal, and you lose the BA once you acquire the MA.

COI: I just know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    BA (1st) isn't a proper post-nominal, and you lose the BA once you acquire the MA.

:ditto:

& the (all Cambridge) if it actually says that isn't cool either!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)

What if they were in different subjects?

ReputationRep:
    That's what most vets in zoos do.
    As if. They're hardly going to be released back are they. I just hate zoos & te idea of caging animals for entertainment, espeicallt having grown up in a country where you saw them in their natural environment -- that I would love, a zoo sounds like hell.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    As if. They're hardly going to be released back are they. I just hate zoos & te idea of caging animals for entertainment, espeicallt having grown up in a country where you saw them in their natural environment -- that I would love, a zoo sounds like hell.
    Most of those animals were bread in that environment, so its hardly that damaging to them.

Not that I particularly agree, but they know no better so are suffering little psychological harm. I think places like paignton zoo or longleek are better, as the animals are not in cages as such and more free to roam the facility.

Also, we cant forget the animals that would be more at risk of being hunted or killed in their wild environment which are kept safe in zoos and reserves. Without their care in captivity some animals would have died off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    What if they were in different subjects?
    The Cambridge MA replaces the BA. It is not an earned qualification - a Masters which you actually have to work for at Cambridge is an MPhil.

ReputationRep:
    Most of those animals were bread in that environment, so its hardly that damaging to them.

Not that I particularly agree, but they know no better so are suffering little psychological harm. I think places like paignton zoo or longleek are better, as the animals are not in cages as such and more free to roam the facility.

Also, we cant forget the animals that would be more at risk of being hunted or killed in their wild environment which are kept safe in zoos and reserves. Without their care in captivity some animals would have died off.
    Regardless of being bred in captivity - my point was that I would hate to work in an environment where I know the animals will never reach their full potentials. When you compare the lives of the animals in zoos to the animals in reservations there really can't a question of who is the better off

re: preservation whilst a reasonable point does not justify the number or conditions o many of the zoos which it can't be overlooked are a business. Manu many other schemes are successful in rebreeding/protection in the natural environment.

The question was whther does it not seem like the best job ever? And to me no - I would hate to work in or with a zoo. In addition to the reasons listed it would jus never compare to working in a reserve or rehabilitation in the animals environment and well, I'm just not one for second bests! I don't know whether the fact that I grew up in Tanzania and so my immediate memories of say elephants is one of them siloetted against the serengeti or coweing in my room whilst they stole pineapples from the proch :p: -- seeing them in zoos I can always see how stiffled that life is and maybe it's my head but I feel like I can see it in the animal too. Going to a zoo was never fun for me, it is just sad

obv. just my thoughts. can kind of see why pepole without m experie would want to. i guess its cooler than hamsters.

sorry for bad spelling etc - on phone which current had a cracked screen so can only see half of it... Roll on payday so o can finally get it fixed lol!

ReputationRep:

I was at a zoo yesterday and there was a tiger talk thing and they were talking about this sort of thing. Six tigers were released back into the wild a few years ago and they are now all dead (not by natural causes). They were tagged so they could be kept track of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Skimming through some medical books, is it me or does neurology (and optho and psych to some extent) look infinitely more interesting than anything else?

Though apparently actually doing neurology sucks :holmes:
    I think I would rather crawl up and die than study psych for another moment. Unfortunately, I've got a whole **** storm of the stuff in my second semester.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.