x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Oh, GOAT stands for GreatestOfAllTime
    Gosh, and I thought about an animal and thus a devaluation from the beginning. *

At the moment he is the greatest tennis player of all time, but if Djokovic goes on in this form, Federer has found his successor so quickly.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Gosh, and I thought about an animal and thus a devaluation from the beginning. *

At the moment he is the greatest tennis player of all time, but if Djokovic goes on in this form, Federer has found his successor so quickly.
    Yeah, I thought it was weird at first too. And yes i agree with you, but at least if he retired in 2012 we would have had to wait longer for a sucessor. Pretty sure sampras could have played on, but he was having some poor results (like fed in 2013, and this year against raonic, thiem, zverev?) and he knew he could no longer be the at the very top of the game.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, I thought it was weird at first too. And yes i agree with you, but at least if he retired in 2012 we would have had to wait longer for a sucessor. Pretty sure sampras could have played on, but he was having some poor results (like fed in 2013, and this year against raonic, thiem, zverev?) and he knew he could no longer be the at the very top of the game.
    Federer is in an age where his potential has to drop at professional level. Give him credits to win a Grand slam or two, but that's it. This tennis era is Djokovic's one, I would say so. Murray may his arch rival for a long time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Federer is in an age where his potential has to drop at professional level. Give him credits to win a Grand slam or two, but that's it. This tennis era is Djokovic's one, I would say so. Murray may his arch rival for a long time.
    Yeah itll be interesting to see how murray can catch up over the next few years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah itll be interesting to see how murray can catch up over the next few years.
    It is really interesting whether Murray is capable of catching Djokovic up. From Murray's view, the grand slam finals against him got always lost. I can't remember me that Murray has ever won against Djokovic when it matters in those matches, or am I wrong?

Nevertheless that would be my favorite fixture at the olympics in Men's final.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is really interesting whether Murray is capable of catching Djokovic up. The grand slam finals against him got lost. I can't remember me that Muray has ever won against Djokovic when it matters in those matches, or am I wrong?*

Nevertheless that would be my favorite fixture at the olympics in Men's final. *
    Yeah i think you're right, only big wins in the finals were ofc wimbeldon and the US.

Its going to be an interesting clash indeed, and murray will find it tough as hes the flag bearer (he might play less than 24 hours later)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah i think you're right, only big wins in the finals were ofc wimbeldon and the US.

Its going to be an interesting clash indeed, and murray will find it tough as hes the flag bearer (he might play less than 24 hours later)
    Flag bearer? really? what an honour for this man walking with the British flag into the stadium. And no, don't be afraid: I am not planning to make any remarks to Brexit.

To catch Djokovic up, he has to beat his curse against him in an important final. Otherwise he will always be the second best.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Flag bearer? really? what an honour for this man walking with the British flag into the stadium. And no, don't be afraid: I am not planning to make any remarks to Brexit.

To catch Djokovic up, he has to beat his curse against him in an important final. Otherwise he will always be the second best.*
    He will always be second best regardless, they are 29 now and their style of play (defensive for murray, both run around the court alot) means that they wont be playing as long as fed so they dont have much time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He will always be second best regardless, they are 29 now and their style of play (defensive for murray, both run around the court alot) means that they wont be playing as long as fed so they dont have much time
    True. But hope so that Murray overcomes Djokovic in a final one day. Even if he has not so many chances now.*

ReputationRep:
    Gutted for Djokovic, his chance at an Olympic Gold may be gone but Del Potro was unplayable tonight. I really hope this is a turning point for Delpo and he's able to sustain this level during the games and on the tour because based on what I saw he's got several more slams in him if he stays healthy

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how i love that forehand.

ReputationRep:
    NOvak out of the Olympics Singles

ReputationRep:
    If someone had to knock out Djokovic I'm glad it's del Potro. Novak needs to get his **** together though. Too much chilling in his restaurant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Del Potro's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how i love that forehand.
    (Original post by ovo_zverit)
    NOvak out of the Olympics Singles
    (Original post by monk1324)
    If someone had to knock out Djokovic I'm glad it's del Potro. Novak needs to get his **** together though. Too much chilling in his restaurant.
    Whoa, his knock out in the first round is reallya bombshell. The top favorite for the gold medal is out of the race. Let us see what Murray will do now.*

ReputationRep:
    Good lineup for the QF. In a normal year you'd assume the semi's would see Murray, Nadal, Del Potro and Nikishori but given injuries and lack of form who knows.

One suspects that Murray probably has his second gold but if Nadal or Del Potro can really turn it on then both i'd say are better than him peak on peak game.

For Del Potro and Nadal to be looking at Olympic medals again though must be incredibly pleasing and unexpected for them. Wets the wistle for the US Open too.

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro vs Nadal for the Olympic semi. Who would have predicted that 6 months ago.

Can't wait for it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Kerber enters the final! that is great, that is awesome! she has got a medal either way. Hoping for gold in the final. *

ReputationRep:

To wet the whistle, here's what the match could produce.

That point at 10:30 was just wow..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Great win for Andy, pretty comfortable too! That second to last rally... DAMN.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Annoying umpiring though...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)

To wet the whistle, here's what the match could produce.

That point at 10:30 was just wow..
    Its only been the first game and I think this could be REALLY good..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.