Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Thanks so much! What I've decided to do is talk to HR (I have a meeting at the end of next week) and just see what they say. I guess if you don't ask, you don't get
    Well, I am pleased about that. Because, although you may not be able to see this, most people will want you to get on and will want you to do well as they know how tough it is. They want to see you do well. So, you just might find they say yes. I hope so. I would say, go in there with something you can do to make it up to the firm ie you will work late, you will come in over the weekend, you will take it unpaid, anything. Present to them a solution also, this should put you in a better position.

Imagine it was you in HR - would you want to help you? Also, don't forget, there are many like you, many who ask also. They will have dealt with the situation before.

Really, try your best to get to the AC and then if you get the VS, then take the decision about whether to go then. Take the right decision at the right time - this is difficult to learn how to do. It sounds like you are a person with integrity - this should work in your favour.

Also - another tip. IMHO. If the HR person helps you and lets you go, come back in again to see them after the AC and say thank you and say how they helped you and that you learned a lot and are very grateful. They will be pleased. And say thank you to your line manager - basically say thank you to anyone who helps you to go. Many people do not say thank you - but you do, you have said thank you to me. And that makes me happy!

Good luck at your meeting and I hope you get to your AC. It's half the battle

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have an assessment day coming up very soon and I am absolutely bricking it!

I have never been to an assessment day before and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? Particularly the type of tasks involved and commercial awareness question examples?

Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisaroles2323)
    Hi guys,

I have an assessment day coming up very soon and I am absolutely bricking it!

I have never been to an assessment day before and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice? Particularly the type of tasks involved and commercial awareness question examples?

Many thanks in advance
    The advice I would give someone would be:

Group Exercises: It's very important to strike a balance between making sure your point is heard whilst not overpowering the other people in the group. If you think certain people are being quiet or are struggling to be heard, involve them in the discussion. If there is a time aspect to it, make sure the group is aware of how much time they have left.

Written Exercises: KEEP AN EYE ON THE TIME

Interview: Make sure you demonstrate your commercial awareness. I recently had an interview and there weren't any specific commercial awareness questions. However, the feedback I got was that I didn't demonstrate it enough. I think I had just forgotten to! Speak slowly and clearly and if there are competency questions, then remember the STAR format (Situation Task Action Result).

It's hard to be specific as all AC's are different but those are the 'general' things I have learnt so far.

Hope that helps in some way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawyer20)
    The advice I would give someone would be:

Group Exercises: It's very important to strike a balance between making sure your point is heard whilst not overpowering the other people in the group. If you think certain people are being quiet or are struggling to be heard, involve them in the discussion. If there is a time aspect to it, make sure the group is aware of how much time they have left.

Written Exercises: KEEP AN EYE ON THE TIME

Interview: Make sure you demonstrate your commercial awareness. I recently had an interview and there weren't any specific commercial awareness questions. However, the feedback I got was that I didn't demonstrate it enough. I think I had just forgotten to! Speak slowly and clearly and if there are competency questions, then remember the STAR format (Situation Task Action Result).

It's hard to be specific as all AC's are different but those are the 'general' things I have learnt so far.

Hope that helps in some way!

thank you so much! very kind of you to help. I will take all of the above in to account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anisaroles2323)
    thank you so much! very kind of you to help. I will take all of the above in to account.
    No worries, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    PFO from Eversheds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriennbrigden)
    PFO from Eversheds.
    Commiserations

How did you find out if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Any Hill Dickinson news?

ReputationRep:
    I just called them and they said they are in the process of shortlisting candidates for the spring scheme.... which starts in less than 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 777m)
    I just called them and they said they are in the process of shortlisting candidates for the spring scheme.... which starts in less than 2 weeks.
    I didn't apply to the spring scheme but thought it would be a quick turn-a-round after the WG test. Did they confirm if there is any other stages (would guess not as the spring scheme is so close)?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't ask directly, but I was told they are shortlisting, so the fact they are taking forever may mean they are combining all different factors to come up with the final decision. That's how it sounded to me. I don't know what is taking so long

ReputationRep:
    Are people still waiting to hear from Macfarlanes....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisjones123)
    Commiserations

How did you find out if you don't mind me asking?
    They emailed me. I sort of guessed that it would be a PFO because they have been taking so long to get back to me.

Are you still waiting to hear from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriennbrigden)
    They emailed me. I sort of guessed that it would be a PFO because they have been taking so long to get back to me.

Are you still waiting to hear from them?

Yes post face to face interview...

Which stage were you at? The whole process is excruciating right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingojango)
    Is anyone going to a Gateley AC?
    Yeah I am! It's in Birmingham but I applied for the Nottingham office.

ReputationRep:
    Any one heard from ward hadaway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Irwin Mitchell vac scheme offer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajb1993)
    Irwin Mitchell vac scheme offer!!
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastination1)
    Congrats!
    Thank you - it's such a relief!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boolive)
    Still waiting to hear from Travers Smith... anyone received anything?
    Got an email from them today saying they are still interviewing and apologising for the delay - hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.