The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have an invitation to interview! :smile: Right, so I'm a bit confused. My grades aren't great compared to the majority, so my extenuating circumstances must have been considered. From here, is it mainly the interview that matters/determines whether or not I get an offer? Because I don't want to be held back still by my grades. I've heard that if you get past 'stage 1' (assessment of application, grades, reference etc) and receive an interview, the interview is the determining factor and everyone is on equal ground (that is to say I have an equal chance of getting an offer as everyone else) or will my grades still hold me back? Thanks.
Original post by mechanism
I have an invitation to interview! :smile: Right, so I'm a bit confused. My grades aren't great compared to the majority, so my extenuating circumstances must have been considered. From here, is it mainly the interview that matters/determines whether or not I get an offer? Because I don't want to be held back still by my grades. I've heard that if you get past 'stage 1' (assessment of application, grades, reference etc) and receive an interview, the interview is the determining factor and everyone is on equal ground (that is to say I have an equal chance of getting an offer as everyone else) or will my grades still hold me back? Thanks.

WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH!! :woo:

That is soo awesome, well done!!!! I'm legit super happy for you :biggrin:

I think they take everything into account but your interview will be one of the most important aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
WOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH!! :woo:

That is soo awesome, well done!!!! I'm legit super happy for you :biggrin:

I think they take everything into account but your interview will be one of the most important aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you thank you! was just about to dm you :smile: I've heard many things and also that we're given a number of points based on our grades and interview score?! And then compared via our scores! That's quite daunting. I have no clue though, this could be far from the truth.

Congratulations!! I'm in the same position as you are with the slightly lower grades (GCSEs) and I'm hoping for an interview :smile:

What course/college did you get it for?
Original post by mazzaion
Congratulations!! I'm in the same position as you are with the slightly lower grades (GCSEs) and I'm hoping for an interview :smile:

What course/college did you get it for?

Ahh good luck! Biochemistry at Brasenose :smile: What have you applied for?

What are you grades? (if you don't mind me asking)
Has anyone heard from New College yet?
Ahh good luck! Biochemistry at Brasenose :smile: What have you applied for?

Corpus Christi for Classics II :smile:
Brasenose was my second choice college! But I just loved Corpus too much on the open day to pick any other
Original post by gkallikas
Yeah, Section 1 performance really is kind of unpredictable like that... Hey, you never know, you might actually have done pretty well. I know that I am horrible at guessing how well I do on BMAT (based on timed past papers I did) but I usually can guess really well regarding other exams. At the end of the day, it's just a waiting game so... The 25th will tell us a lot!

What kind of scores were you getting in past papers? I was getting like 6-7 in most of mine except 2012 because that paper hated me

They will look at all of your application, but depending on your subject the interview may or may not carry a lot of weight. I spoke to the Corpus biochemistry tutor and he said that for biochemistry, it matters a lot as it's the only way for them to see how you think. However, for medicine, he said it doesn't matter as much as the tutors will usually have already decided who they're going to take after admissions test results and the interview is just there to confirm.
Original post by mazzaion
Corpus Christi for Classics II :smile:
Brasenose was my second choice college! But I just loved Corpus too much on the open day to pick any other

Ahh wonderful! Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by not you

They will look at all of your application, but depending on your subject the interview may or may not carry a lot of weight. I spoke to the Corpus biochemistry tutor and he said that for biochemistry, it matters a lot as it's the only way for them to see how you think. However, for medicine, he said it doesn't matter as much as the tutors will usually have already decided who they're going to take after admissions test results and the interview is just there to confirm.

Oh wow, thank you that's really helpful.
Original post by cakeislife
What are you grades? (if you don't mind me asking)

A* 8A C at GCSE and 3A, D at AS level.
Does anyone have an interview for History yet!?
A* 8A C at GCSE and 3A, D at AS level.

Very similar situation here! 2A* 5A 4Bs and a C - may I ask whether you think contextual information helped you out there? Did you go to a school with below average GCSE results (like me)?

Thanks. Waiting anxiously for a PPE interview invite!
Original post by lovecathy
Fellow Oriel law applicant here, hi there! :smile:
Haven't heard anything yet but I'm guessing invitations/rejections might start going out in a week..

HI! Yeah that's what I've heard. Don't want to wait any longer though! XD - are you from the UK?
Original post by 9dobbo1
Very similar situation here! 2A* 5A 4Bs and a C - may I ask whether you think contextual information helped you out there? Did you go to a school with below average GCSE results (like me)?

Thanks. Waiting anxiously for a PPE interview invite!

Yes, I did go to a school with below average GCSE results! I'm proud of my GCSE's. Although it's up to you to get the grades, lack of opportunity and good teaching can play a big part in determining your grades! For example we had an amazing Spanish teacher - everything came to me so easily and I got an A*. I'm not even disappointed getting A's at GCSE instead of A*'s because I know I had to work extra hard to secure any grades (to me those A's feel like A*'s).

I hope you receive an interview!
Yes, I did go to a school with below average GCSE results! I'm proud of my GCSE's. Although it's up to you to get the grades, lack of opportunity and good teaching can play a big part in determining your grades! For example we had an amazing Spanish teacher - everything came to me so easily and I got an A*. I'm not even disappointed getting A's at GCSE instead of A*'s because I know I had to work extra hard to secure any grades (to me those A's feel like A*'s).

I hope you receive an interview!

I feel exactly the same. I moved to an independent school for Sixth form and I can see how if I'd been there and put in the same effort I would have got more A*s, but like you I'm proud of what I achieved given the circumstances - here's hoping they properly take it in to account. Best of luck to you!

What/where have you applied to?
Original post by tiffanylcy
any law interview offers yet?

Nope - we should receive rejections/interviews in a week or so if last year is anything to go by :-)
Original post by 9dobbo1
I feel exactly the same. I moved to an independent school for Sixth form and I can see how if I'd been there and put in the same effort I would have got more A*s, but like you I'm proud of what I achieved given the circumstances - here's hoping they properly take it in to account. Best of luck to you!

What/where have you applied to?

Ahh wise decision! :smile:
I've applied for Biochemistry at Oxford, Bristol, Bath, UEA and Durham. Yourself?
Hey everyone,
I was wondering, has anybody applying to Christ Church received an aknowedgement mail concerning their written work? I sent mine late on monday and have not received one whereas some other applicants from other colleges told me they did...So I'm really anxious about it now... :/

Latest

Trending

Trending