Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me thats finding they can guess like 10 ish questions (to save time) in VR in the mocks and still get a decent score like 600-650

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Me and you both bro!

I HATE THE ABSTRACT. So scared because I was relying on QR but ppl are now saying it was harder than Medify :'( Verbal is already bad for me and abstract is just guessing so I am terrified now!
    No way man, trust me QR in the actual thing is WAY easier than medify like trust me. I was getting low 600s in my mocks and was my worst section. On the day I got 750 and ended up being my best section. I wouldn't worry about QR especially if it's already your best section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chvrches;[url="tel:67624020")
    67624020[/url]]Hello!

Sat my UKCAT today, got the following scores:

820 Verbal
    750 Quantitative
    650 Abstract

Then messed up completely with SJT, somehow came out with band 4. No idea what happened, had been averaging safe band 2 at least in mocks.

What does this mean for me? My average was 740, so pretty strong, but my SJT band messed all that up. Do they cancel each other out? I'm trying to work out my options at the minute, any help is much appreciated, thanks!
    A lot of unis don't take SJ into consideration in regards to UKCAT score but instead on non academic score. So my advice would be to make sure your no academic part ie work experience, volunteering etc is amazing or to be on the safe side apply for schools that don't need the UKCAT, which I know is frustrating because your score is actually really good, just depends if you want to risk it or not. Or even if you pick half unis that don't need it and half ones that do

Hope this sort of helped

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I am international student (gap year) applying this year to med schools in the uk. I did IB and i got a great score (40 points) which really opens a lot of med school choices for me in the uk however, I have been practising the ukcat for about a month and i started doing practice mocks today from the ukcat website, i used kaplan and modify as my main resources and they had helped me a lot in my preparation for the ukcat nevertheless i have been getting low scores on the official mock exams, especially on ar and qr which are my best of modify and kaplan, so is the ukcat mock a good represntative of the real thing? cause its just horrible for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swopnil)
    sure! check your inbox.

I hope you can still access it as I gave it to someone already.
    Hi could i borrow it too once the person is done or if someone else has a medify i could use i would be very grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzz11)
    Hi could i borrow it too once the person is done or if someone else has a medify i could use i would be very grateful.
    sure. I think you can all access it at the same time. It's only for 3 days tho.
    check your pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    When's your exam? Yeah I feel like QR and AR drag everyone up but for me that isn't an option so I'm terrified lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    29th September and this test is killing me! I am actually on medication because the doctor said I am feeling 'very stressed' I'm guessing that's bad at only 16 hahaha.

QR I feel like I am improving. AR is my worst but just did a mock (guessed more than 75% of the questions) and it was my highest score of 650! Verbal keeps screwing me. Just got 570 My average is only 617 which is sooo bad cos I need 700+.

I honestly don't know what to do!?

Wbu? When's yours and how you feeling for the sections?

(Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    No way man, trust me QR in the actual thing is WAY easier than medify like trust me. I was getting low 600s in my mocks and was my worst section. On the day I got 750 and ended up being my best section. I wouldn't worry about QR especially if it's already your best section
    I sure hope so!

What tactics for VR?
    I usually skip to the T/F/CT questions then come back but for some reason I run out of time before I get a chance to come back around? It takes so long to read the passage

ReputationRep:
    are there any universities that accept a total score of only 1860 and band 2 SJT?

ReputationRep:
    29th September and this test is killing me! I am actually on medication because the doctor said I am feeling 'very stressed' I'm guessing that's bad at only 16 hahaha.

QR I feel like I am improving. AR is my worst but just did a mock (guessed more than 75% of the questions) and it was my highest score of 650! Verbal keeps screwing me. Just got 570 My average is only 617 which is sooo bad cos I need 700+.

Aw how come you're only 16? haha well done! i guess them all too! I just got 650 on VR as a practice thing just then but it never improves much yeah i would love 700+ but rn im settled on 630 as i can't see my AR score helping me out at all lol qr is sometimes okay for me and sometimes bad but the online calculator is so dodgy i hate it and thats why i hate the QR section so much. I really don't understand why we can't get a calculator from the centre, i was reading old threads and they used to be given physical non scientific calculators!! so yeah thats fair my test is 22nd so thursday next week

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I did the UKCAT AR questions for practice because medify was annoying me, and they seemed so much easier than medify but they were probably weren't 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They probably were tbh. I gave up on Medify AR after one of their patterns involved the Fibonacci sequence(?). Some of the patterns are arguably as hard as the 1000Q book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Me and you both bro!

I HATE THE ABSTRACT. So scared because I was relying on QR but ppl are now saying it was harder than Medify :'( Verbal is already bad for me and abstract is just guessing so I am terrified now!
    QR is definitely easier in the actual exam tbh. Didn't score above 650 in any of the Kaplan mocks I did last year but ended up with 750 in the exam. Medify questions are probably harder than the ones that were on Kaplan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    They probably were tbh. I gave up on Medify AR after one of their patterns involved the Fibonacci sequence(?). Some of the patterns are arguably as hard as the 1000Q book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What the f*** is that 😂 I remember seeing a really dodgy algebra one a few days ago and I was like right that's me finished for AR tonight. I have mixed feelings with medify ngl. I can't do most the ones in that book either 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What the f*** is that 😂 I remember seeing a really dodgy algebra one a few days ago and I was like right that's me finished for AR tonight. I have mixed feelings with medify ngl. I can't do most the ones in that book either 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally have no clue tbh. Only time I've ever heard of Fibonacci was when I used to watched Prison Break lool. I think Medify's really useful for VR and SJT but the QR/AR is a bit too difficult compared to the actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Amazing score buddy!!!! That is absolutely stunning! I have no doubt a smart guy like you will get in now, I really hope you do!

I'm a hopeful medic.

How similar was each individual section of Medify compared to exam? Was Medify more similar or official mocks? And lastly, what scores roughly were you getting on medify if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, just so worried because I am aiming for 700 yet got 552 in a practice and literally ended up in tears :'(

Great stuff though once again!!!!
    I was struggling to break 600 in each mock I did ngl

VR was hard because the text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally, other wise the texts were fine to understand but the whole of VR was me trying to adapt to the screen size. Similar to medify.

QR the questions were easy, pie charts, ratios, averages, percentage changes, the texts were not long except for the first stem when they try to put you off. In between UKCAT Ninja and Medify.

AR the patterns came to me but thats because I spent loads of hours on it. Nice basic patterns but hard to perceive at first.

ReputationRep:
    If I got Kaplan and did the 3 mocks from there would that be a good substitute for the ukcat ninja do you think?
    I didnt use kaplan so im not too sure plus i found out about it close to the exam and was not going to invest in it, ukcat ninja is free btw

ReputationRep:

I sure hope so!

What tactics for VR?
    I usually skip to the T/F/CT questions then come back but for some reason I run out of time before I get a chance to come back around? It takes so long to read the passage
    The T/F/CT ones are probably the easiest so if your going to skip any don't skip those ones! Don't read the passage first, instead read the question and pick out the key word then skim the passage for that word and once you find it read the sentences around it, this will save time.

I won't lie to you, I found VR slightly harder than medify and was my worst section on the day. But these tips should help you, it's what I done and I still got 670 in this section

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474146818.178140.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  174.9 KB Just finished making this AR mind map so I thought I'd share it. Think it's more useful than the other one I made; there might be a few grammatical errors though because there wouldn't have been enough space to write otherwise. Hope it helps tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I was wondering if any of you have ever used Jobtestprep.co.uk for your preparation? If so, was it valuable practice?

Secondly, does anyone have a spare set of login details to access medify for a few days? This would be enormously helpful as I've heard the QR and AR sections are nearly identical between Medify and the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474146818.178140.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  174.9 KB Just finished making this AR mind map so I thought I'd share it. Think it's more useful than the other one I made; there might be a few grammatical errors though because there wouldn't have been enough space to write otherwise. Hope it helps tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much!! Hopefully it'll help me with AR too, I've tried to make my own but it's no where near as detailed as yours!😽

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopeforunderdog)
    The T/F/CT ones are probably the easiest so if your going to skip any don't skip those ones! Don't read the passage first, instead read the question and pick out the key word then skim the passage for that word and once you find it read the sentences around it, this will save time.

I won't lie to you, I found VR slightly harder than medify and was my worst section on the day. But these tips should help you, it's what I done and I still got 670 in this section
    Thanks. Still can't believe you got a score like that in VR! Did you end up guessing any, if so how many roughly?
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    I didnt use kaplan so im not too sure plus i found out about it close to the exam and was not going to invest in it, ukcat ninja is free btw
    It says to pay like £25 for 2 weeks? Or did you just use the free questions and feel it was of enough help?
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    I was struggling to break 600 in each mock I did ngl

VR was hard because the text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally, other wise the texts were fine to understand but the whole of VR was me trying to adapt to the screen size. Similar to medify.

QR the questions were easy, pie charts, ratios, averages, percentage changes, the texts were not long except for the first stem when they try to put you off. In between UKCAT Ninja and Medify.

AR the patterns came to me but thats because I spent loads of hours on it. Nice basic patterns but hard to perceive at first.
    The timing is just not enough

QR is definitely easier in the actual exam tbh. Didn't score above 650 in any of the Kaplan mocks I did last year but ended up with 750 in the exam. Medify questions are probably harder than the ones that were on Kaplan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope it is! Oh, are you a gap year applicant?
    Aw how come you're only 16? haha well done! i guess them all too! I just got 650 on VR as a practice thing just then but it never improves much yeah i would love 700+ but rn im settled on 630 as i can't see my AR score helping me out at all lol qr is sometimes okay for me and sometimes bad but the online calculator is so dodgy i hate it and thats why i hate the QR section so much. I really don't understand why we can't get a calculator from the centre, i was reading old threads and they used to be given physical non scientific calculators!! so yeah thats fair my test is 22nd so thursday next week
    650 is an amazing VR score! If I got that I would be buzzing on the day!
    I'm 16 because I am in my last year of academy? Normal is it not?

That's so unfair, the online calculator basically just annoys me. Best of luck with your test especially since it's exactly a week before mine! I really hope you get what you are looking for

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.