Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    I put cardiff as my firm and kent as insurance but I feel like I'll have to go through clearing are you applying for 2017 entry? thank you!
    I put Cardiff as my firm too! have you heard anything from them yet? and what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gp1208)
    I put Cardiff as my firm too! have you heard anything from them yet? and what course did you apply for?
    nope have you? biomedicine wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.
    Another Cardiff firmer here also! For Dentistry though Dreading results day D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dioooooon)
    Another Cardiff firmer here also! For Dentistry though Dreading results day D:
    Damn, with Dentistry I can't imagine how stressful it must be. I'm looking to do Business with Business, English and Film as my three subjects last year and even then I'm still bricking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Oh yeah some of my law friends visited Durham and said it was amazing, though heard York is great too! And you got four offers that's amazing! What were your other two? I'm sure you will be fine and do you think York would accept if you just missed?

Hopefully, that is if I get two offers 😅 It's so competitive ah and that's crazy! Accommodation is such an important thing!

Wow that's amazing! I don't really have any questions I don't think minds gone blank except... Hmm... Maybe like should the personal statement me more academic or "social" based as I did mine more academic but was worrying this might put some unis off as I didn't write loooads about extracurriculars and hobbies etc. Thanks
    I got 5 offers in total - other than York and Leicester, I got offers from Warwick, Newcastle and Birmingham. I hadn't expected to get more than 2 or 3 (which would've effectively led to no decisions being necessary), so I was surprised when I got 5, and it took me a long time to reach a final decision. Whenever I visited a university, it became my favourite, which inevitably caused issues, but ultimately I'm really happy with my firm. Actually that's another bit of advice - visit universities whenever you can (definitely go on post-offer visits!) and take your time when finalising decisions. My medicine friend (I'll just use his name, Andy, to simplify things!) loved Imperial the first time he visited, then liked it a lot less when going for his interview, but ultimately liked it enough to insure it. Basically, feelings about universities will vary, and don't rush anything! I'm hoping York will accept me if I miss the grades (I think Politics might have gone badly :-/) but it's all uncertain, though I'm lucky that Leicester had given me an unconditional - as that's my insurance, I can get any grade and still study Law, albeit not at my preferred university.

I was sent Andy's personal statement (we exchanged a lot of drafts) so I can answer that question - keep it largely academic. When he referenced extra-curricular stuff, it was rare, and he linked it back to medicine regarding skills, so when referencing the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, he noted that the "expedition required... teamwork", and mentioned how he balanced his studies with exercise. The rest of it was academic, or about work-experience, and he didn't even mention stuff like becoming Deputy Head Boy, in favour of things like medicine residentials instead; don't be afraid to mention things like Head Girl or similar though, as Andy might have taken it too far. Universities are more interested in stuff relevant to the course than not, so anything you do include should have some kind of link to the course, like leadership skills etc.

If you think of any questions any time during the admissions process feel free to tag/message me, as I'm staying in touch with Andy as we head off to uni and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions, any time.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Law and l was wondering if l get AAA in my A-levels, would they take into account my GCSE grades? (because l was too stupid back then)

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god it keeps hitting me that results day is so soon and I'm *****ing myself hahahahh
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    should the personal statement me more academic or "social" based as I did mine more academic but was worrying this might put some unis off as I didn't write loooads about extracurriculars and hobbies etc. Thanks
    Always focus on the academics - remember that an admissions tutor in a university has likely done a degree in the subject, a masters and a PhD and has now dedicated their professional life to researching and teaching that subject. They're absolutely focused on their subject (http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/ ) and they're looking for that level of excitement and focus from their applicants.

Any PS is only being evaluated to check 3 things:
    a) does the applicant know what they're applying for (if it's clear they've got no clue what the degree is about or where it will get them then that's usually a rejection)
    b) does the applicant have the interest and motivation to stick out this course for 3+ year (that's where talking about topics/work you're looking forward to, research on your subject/career outside of your curriculum etc demonstrate a clear dedication)
    c) does the applicant have the necessary non-academic skills/attributes to succeed on the course (usually this isn't covered - for vocational courses this is where discussion of work experience and shadowing and reflection on what you know about the course/career and yourself become very important).

When you read your PS if content isn't ticking off one of those three things then it doesn't need to be there.

ReputationRep:
    wht kind of preparation shd i be doing before results day??
    i did some and looking up on clearing stuff
    but im not sure how to be prepared

only doing work makes me less afraid of results coming loll

ReputationRep:
    when will ucas statistics be released? on results day only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.chantele)
    I want to do Law and l was wondering if l get AAA in my A-levels, would they take into account my GCSE grades? (because l was too stupid back then)
    It depends on the university. Most won't but some universities for some courses look at GCSEs, my firm choice uni for English for example requires a minimum of an A grade in GCSE English Lit. The uni would state the GCSE grade in its entry requirements and as part of their offer if they do require it.

ReputationRep:
    What do i do when I've accepted an unconditional and i dont mind going to a uni. But i want to go to another uni (since i think i done better than i thought). Is there anyway to get out of an unconditional on results day and accepted another uni?

ReputationRep:
    When you look on clearing and see your course:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    can anyone here offer me some advice ?

I've just rang up my insurance uni asking them to release me so that i can use clearing if my firm rejects me, and they said they can't do anything and to ring up again on thursday.

I've been told however it can takes unis days to release you into clearing and i know clearing places for the good unis go lightening fast so I'm just thinking should i ring up the unis and tell them that I'm waiting for my insurance to release me and if so would they ' hold ' my place ??

thanks so much in advance
    I know the uni of Sheffield holds places but I don't think you wanna go there do you ?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Checking in to wish all here good luck! I don't envy you all with the harrowing wait but all will be well

ReputationRep:
    Could this mean I'm in or is it just a standard answer. It's just the "you will receive..." bit makes it sound like I got in
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 543
Size:  214.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    When you look on clearing and see your course:

Exactly how I feel. My course entered clearing on Saturday. I've been freaking out since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excellentyiu)
    wht kind of preparation shd i be doing before results day??
    i did some and looking up on clearing stuff
    but im not sure how to be prepared

only doing work makes me less afraid of results coming loll
    That is good prep for now, all you can do at the moment is prepare yourself for the fact that things may not work out how you had hoped but know that it isn't the end of the road and there is always something you can do (clearing, retakes etc...) this anticipation is the worst bit and I'm sure everything will work out. Try and distract yourself from dwelling on it and stressing yourself out, when you have free time watch a new TV series or read a book I find that you get immersed in the fictional world and you don't think about results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    Could this mean I'm in or is it just a standard answer. It's just the "you will receive..." bit makes it sound like I got in
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 543
Size:  214.6 KB
    seems standard to me, but you never know Uni's do know our results now I believe.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.