The Ultimate Football Thread IV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Yes, but you'd rather they actually won the game than were handed it by an incompetent referee.
It's funny. Some Man Utd fans were saying that we were complaining too much when the referee handed Birmingham a draw.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Man United are out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahah ahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahh ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahaha hahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahha hahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahah ahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhah ahahahhahahahah ;grin;
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What a great day of football.
I hope Torres gets another hat-trick, only thing that could make it better.
Rafa
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
Steady on mhsc :yy:
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
It's funny. Some Man Utd fans were saying that we were complaining too much when the referee handed Birmingham a draw.
While I'm not aware of the details of that game or the ref in particular (all I know is that James McFadden scored a late equaliser from the spot, and it didn't knock Arsenal out of anything), I'll abstain from comment.
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Man Utd had enough chances to win, I don't think they can blame anyone but themselves and also you have to give credit to Pompey's defence. Great cup tie
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SuperDaz)
Man Utd had enough chances to win, I don't think they can blame anyone but themselves and also you have to give credit to Pompey's defence. Great cup tie
Not really; while Portsmouth weren't offering anything up front the least we could expect was a draw, and while we weren't putting them away the most we could expect was a draw. That changed with Martin Atkinson's intervention.
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The penalty decision was correct, the sending off wasn't. How we didn't get that penalty in the first half, I don't know.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sweetliketropicana)
Sectarianism is very quickly dying out , however i can understand your concerns. But i think if celtic and rangers were to join the EPL it would totally eliminate it. Although it has improved in recent years , the main cause is the big fish, small pond mentality where they are the only two proper teams in the league.
It is dying out and most of the 'hardcore' Chelsea faithful are still banned anyway but it didn't stop trouble from happening in the preseason 'friendly' season before last against Celtic and I was near that trouble. Heard Celtic are always doing their 'Irish stuff' no matter who they play against whether it's Rangers or even Aberdeen, which I thought was slightly strange. Guess it provokes some English people like Scottish nationalism to an extent. Don't mind the flags being shown for political allegiance, with obvious exceptions, though.

It would be interesting if it did happen. How FIFA would react, since they proved they were powerless to deal with it. And, if they do take a tough stance against us, would like to see their views on other countries and their past, e.g. Spain under Franco.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SuperDaz)
'fraid i'm in 100% agreement with that. Poor finishing. Oh where was El Ni- sorry, doesn't matter
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by loadmalz)
'fraid i'm in 100% agreement with that. Poor finishing. Oh where was El Ni- sorry, doesn't matter
I think that's bull. This "well they had enough chances so they had only themselves to blame" notion is rubbish. If the penalty decision was as pathetic as some have made out, the ref has clearly affected the outcome of the result.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think that's bull. This "well they had enough chances so they had only themselves to blame" notion is rubbish. If the penalty decision was as pathetic as some have made out, the ref has clearly affected the outcome of the result.
In addition, and forgive the lazy copy-pasting of my own post from the United thread:

And I don't buy the "credit to Pompey's defence" line at all. When they were cut up enough times to produce chances like those for Carrick and Rooney, when Patrice Evra hits the post, how good was that defence really?
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Overall, they had more than enough chances but just couldn't finish, IMO.
The penalty early in the game was a clear penalty, I agree with that. I haven't seen the pompy one though, I have to admit (had to go out the house for a few min).
SuperDaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Harry does it at Old Traffold again
Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by loadmalz)
Overall, they had more than enough chances but just couldn't finish, IMO.
The penalty early in the game was a clear penalty, I agree with that. I haven't seen the pompy one though, I have to admit (had to go out the house for a few min).
So. Still doesn't mean they weren't robbed (if what people are saying about the penalty is true).
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Weezy F)
So. Still doesn't mean they weren't robbed (if what people are saying about the penalty is true).
Doesn't matter, mate. If they couldn't finish, then it's their own fault, the Ref's stupidity wouldn't have had anything to do with it.
I haven't seen the penalty decision, even if it was a disgrace, they should have had more than enough goals for them to win the match, regardless.

Having said that, yah :rolleyes: I supposed they were 'robbed' of a DRAW.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's part of the point, loadmalz, we were robbed of at least a replay and our place in the semi-final draw. And who knows what might've happened in that last ten minutes were the score still 0-0 and United had eleven men. My bet is that we'd have made more chances, and maybe just maybe one goes in.
Hedger
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Can't believe he dove the right way like haha Good ole' Rio.

Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Still no goals in the Premiership, another cup game tonight on BBC.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed