Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Can you exit them to another classroom rather than making a show of sending them outside?

Quietly take them aside and explain the situation. If they continue to misbehave - they will be exited to another classroom. Inform their form tutor and consider phoning home.

You can also try another punishment rather than sending them outside (not that I can think of one at the moment I'm afraid)
    Possibly, im having a meeting with their normal teacher to discuss strategies for next lesson. Problem is theyre all doing gcse tasters at the moment and most of the class dont plan on doint computer science so couldnt care less about ascii and binary so just dont care about these lessons im trying my best to make it interesting but it feels somewhat like a losing battle.
    See what we decide tomorrow with strategies but its just so gutting when ive been mostly getting 2's and this was a 4a....

ReputationRep:
    So I passed my first assignment with masters credits (so surprised and relieved...)
    Had my interview today too, I feel like it went well but there were 4 of us for the same position so I'm really unsure!

I got told I'd find out between 6-7 tonight and I feel so nervous!!
    Congratulations on the assignment and good luck!

---

I'm not really sure what to do right now. I'm meant to be teaching nearly all day tomorrow and I'm due to have an observation. However, I've been feeling ill for days and it's really got worse today. I've mentioned that I didn't feel too great this morning but since there's a lot of it about, nobody cares (nor do I really expect them to!) But it's really hard to teach right now because my head is not in it. I've got a fever, my stomach hurts and I feel sick. I'm actually looking forward to the observation and I can't really miss it because it's postponed from last week (class teacher was ill). On the other hand, my fiancé works in healthcare and thinks I should be nowhere near kids that could be infected! What would you guys do?

ReputationRep:
    So I passed my first assignment with masters credits (so surprised and relieved...)
    Had my interview today too, I feel like it went well but there were 4 of us for the same position so I'm really unsure!

I got told I'd find out between 6-7 tonight and I feel so nervous!!
    Well done! I don't think we can pass and not get masters credits. What mark do you need to pass compared to the mark you need to get masters credits?

Let us know about the interview! Exciting times seeing people get jobs. First person from my subject has got a job today, which is quite early on for R.E. seeing as there aren't an abundance of jobs. It was in London though.

I feel bad because I've not applied for any jobs yet. I'm just really unsure about the whole thing. I did see a good looking one nearishby but they said it's essential to have an economics PGCE. Found that strange considering there is not many places that offer that PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Well done! I don't think we can pass and not get masters credits. What mark do you need to pass compared to the mark you need to get masters credits?

Let us know about the interview! Exciting times seeing people get jobs. First person from my subject has got a job today, which is quite early on for R.E. seeing as there aren't an abundance of jobs. It was in London though.

I feel bad because I've not applied for any jobs yet. I'm just really unsure about the whole thing. I did see a good looking one nearishby but they said it's essential to have an economics PGCE. Found that strange considering there is not many places that offer that PGCE.
    It's 40 for a pass and 50 for masters credits. So feeling very relieved!

I've still not heard so I'm wondering if that means i've not got the job.

Hm, it might be worth emailing and clarifying that with them... After all, you have the PGCE :/

ReputationRep:

I haven't applied for any jobs either - there don't seem to be any primary jobs in my area yet! Seems like everyone else is applying though.

ReputationRep:

I've not applied for any jobs yet (although that's partly because I'm unsure what's going on with my course); I had a look for ones in my boyfriend's area but they all seem to be April start atm.

ReputationRep:

At my uni you could pass the QTS elements of the assignment (I.e. demonstrate the relevant teachers standards) but not pass the masters elements (I.e. demonstrating reflection, using sources etc). Rather than it being based on marks.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea how to teach my lesson tomorrow. It's essentially a repeat/revision of last week to make sure we know what we're all doing before the exam but I don't know what to do to make it interesting/new. I have a high number of EAL students and I'm still not that great at strategies to support them :/

Ours is done so that they assess us on the masters level criteria and if we fail any of those they'll apply level 6 criteria instead to see if you can pass at that level. I think all of the unis have different methods of organising it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the job

I got told that it came down to me and another candidate and they chose her...

They said I had a brilliant lesson, a brilliant interview and there was nothing that I could have done better. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I was very similar to a teacher already there (unsurprisingly as she trained at the same uni as me with the same tutor!) so they felt that the other candidate could bring something different to the department.

The head said that if he could have made two vacancies and hired us both, he would have.

However, the headteacher has personally recommended me to a headteacher of another school in the area who will be advertising a job vacancy soon.

So I'm pretty upset cus I really liked the school and department and felt really confident about the interview... But I need to look at the positive feedback and the fact that I've been personally recommended to another school/headteacher...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the job

I got told that it came down to me and another candidate and they chose her...

They said I had a brilliant lesson, a brilliant interview and there was nothing that I could have done better. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I was very similar to a teacher already there (unsurprisingly as she trained at the same uni as me with the same tutor!) so they felt that the other candidate could bring something different to the department.

The head said that if he could have made two vacancies and hired us both, he would have.

However, the headteacher has personally recommended me to a headteacher of another school in the area who will be advertising a job vacancy soon.

So I'm pretty upset cus I really liked the school and department and felt really confident about the interview... But I need to look at the positive feedback and the fact that I've been personally recommended to another school/headteacher...
    That sounds really positive. I know it's hard not getting a job you want, so hugs!

I didn't get one job I interviewed for (but only got as far as the teaching task and written task) and their feedback was that it wasnt pitched right for those children (who I'd never met!) and I didn't show enough knowledge of the EYFS (which was frustrating as I could literally directly quote about 75-85% of it and know the rest really well... I just hadn't figured it that was what they wanted in the written task). That sucked a lot lol. So think of the positives, and good luck with the other school if you apply!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still not heard back from my mentor about these extra hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so frustrating. So are you doing any teaching at all? What do you do during the day on placement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    That's so frustrating. So are you doing any teaching at all? What do you do during the day on placement?
    Just three hours a week and definitely going up to 7.5 after halfterm but going to need more. My placement is just those 3 hours don't do anything else outside of that time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mentor finally got back to me. There's no extra hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Had my first rubbish lesson in my second placement.
    Group of y9s who just werent interested in what i was teaching them. I tried the standard punishments, warning, sending them out, making them stand up if they were messing on their chairs but they just didnt care...the teacher was like, its ok theyre a laddish group you just need to be firm etc but i just felt like if i punished one, others did it because they knew theyd get punished and then get to walk outside infront of all their mates...im really stumped
    You sound a lot low me. I had my first bad lesson of my second placement. It was a year 9 class.

It's so difficult to reflect without being too hard to on yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I really need to start being more assertive and I know that but I don't know how to deal with it

ReputationRep:
    My mentor finally got back to me. There's no extra hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesn't sound like they're trying hard enough! Is there any way you can speak to someone above your mentor? They can't just not sort out your placement, it's their job to organise this :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_oswald)
    Doesn't sound like they're trying hard enough! Is there any way you can speak to someone above your mentor? They can't just not sort out your placement, it's their job to organise this :/
    I'm not sure but I've already contacted another department and another college myself about the possibility of doing some teaching hours with them. I also spoke to a careers advisor earlier and he told me I should put in complaint in and see about getting my tuition fee reimbursed back to SLC.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I've already contacted another department and another college myself about the possibility of doing some teaching hours with them. I also spoke to a careers advisor earlier and he told me I should put in complaint in and see about getting my tuition fee reimbursed back to SLC.
    I have to say that I no longer know the ins and outs of the training process, but I'm pretty sure someone's head should be rolling about this. There doesn't seem any kind of excuse for reneging on their obligations like this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.