Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I loathe neuro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Haha is it really that bad? I think I have an affinity to them simply because of their connection to neuroscience but I fear the subject matter will end up being a lot more crappy.
    The only connection that contemporary psychiatry has to neuro is nothing but pseudoscience. Come the time when neuroscience/neurology can account for psychiatric symptoms, what will happen to psychiatry? Bye bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Explain :fuhrer:
    The nervous system is stupidly complex with vast quantities of feedback loops and connections with millions of ways it can go wrong. I don't find it interesting and this complexity thus upsets me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Skimming through some medical books, is it me or does neurology (and optho and psych to some extent) look infinitely more interesting than anything else?
    Just you :lolwut:

They are possibly the 3 subjects I'm looking forward to the least.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    The nervous system is stupidly complex with vast quantities of feedback loops and connections with millions of ways it can go wrong. I don't find it interesting and this complexity thus upsets me.
    Plus of course, no matter how fascinating a lot of it might be (and I have to say I don't often think it is), most of the time there's not much you can do for many of your patients.

ReputationRep:
    So, you're got this amazingly esoteric, quaternery centre diagnosis. Here, have some steroids/ivIg.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    He also started describing neurological examinations and how coma-inducingly boring they get.
    I like testing reflexes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    I thought it was quite fun too!

Do you know which medical specialties are considered to have the most variety / interesting? The impression I'm getting is... not many.
    Anaesthetics is awesome :teeth: (though I'm sure a lot of people consider it boring 90% of the time :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Anaesthetics is awesome :teeth: (though I'm sure a lot of people consider it boring 90% of the time :p:)
    Anaesthetics is definitely something that I am looking forward to experiencing. I generally like the look of ACCS.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Anaesthetics is definitely something that I am looking forward to experiencing. I generally like the look of ACCS.
    Anaesthetics and expecially intensive care medicine makes me far too happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Plus of course, no matter how fascinating a lot of it might be (and I have to say I don't often think it is), most of the time there's not much you can do for many of your patients.
    This is also very true.

ReputationRep:
    Got sunburnt and now my ears feel like radiators.

ReputationRep:
    I really like neuroscience, but actually practising neurology: no thanks.

(Original post by Helenia)
    Depressingly true. Though it may well improve over the next few decades. For certain conditions anyway.
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    Anaesthetics and expecially intensive care medicine makes me far too happy.
    I know what you mean. My placement in anaesthetics was by far the most interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Visited some of my medic (and, amazingly, non-medic) mates in the midlands this weekend. There should be a week of uni in the middle of the summer so that everyone can meet up and get drunk without lectures spoiling the fun.

ReputationRep:
    :cool:.
    Best.Sig.Ever. :')

motor protein, never heard of it, but i guess haters gon' hate right?

ReputationRep:
    Got sunburnt and now my ears feel like radiators.
    And lrn2sunblock man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Was reading a neuroscience blog and then came across this guy. Try and beat him for degrees / initials after his name :teehee:
    In a lecture we had a competition to see what lecturer in all of BL had the most letters after their name. I think we had a draw with two people having 31.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    In a lecture we had a competition to see what lecturer in all of BL had the most letters after their name. I think we had a draw with two people having 31.
    Sir Nick?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Depressingly true. Though it may well improve over the next few decades. For certain conditions anyway.

I know what you mean. My placement in anaesthetics was by far the most interesting.
    Once wea actually understand what exactly is going on in that mess of neurones, the treatments will expode forward.

Same, I now realise that anaesthatists are physiology kings and without them intensive care would be non-existant and no major trauma team would run.

ReputationRep:
    Neuroscience is ace by the way, psychiatry is not. As has been said though would I ever want to practice neurology? Probably not.

Got the freakin' man flu here, rubbish. So's the girlfriend (but lady flu of course), she just walked out of work because she thought she was feeling well enough to brave it, and they wouldn't let her have any water. ********s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.