Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    3 days into the window and the WOB is out in force calling for Wenger's head. Only the fickle gooners are crying about transfers. Sensible gooners know AW will get it done.
    Is this coming from the guy that claims wenger always gets his business done early?

So apparently we're interested in Belgian youngsters Junior Malanda and Julien Ngoy, while Betis want Campbell back on loan for next season (always a good sign) but aren't sure whether they'll manage to get him.

Also, Grenier has confirmed that Lyon have rejected a bid for him from us. Interesting, given that he has only 12 months to go on his contract.

Some low-profile stuff for those craving transfer-gossip. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Is this coming from the guy that claims wenger always gets his business done early?
    Its common knowledge Wenger doesn't procrastinate

ReputationRep:
    Teaser for the new away kit being unveiled on July 9th:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting read about the Arsenal no.9 shirt

Just have to hope if we sign Higuain he doesn't get given no.9!!

http://footballblog.co.uk/the-curse-...mber-nine.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)

Anelka was a fantastic player for us and Wenger made a 22m profit on him within 2 years, a stunning amount for 1999, which was actually used to fund Henry and build our training ground. Davor Suker was always decent for us. Not sure you can blame a shirt number for Merson getting on the coke, beer and betting slips either. Reyes was actually decent for us too and contributed quite a bit to our unbeaten season as well as to an FA cup and our CL run in 2006. Good player he was but just couldnt settle long term. We got 10m from Ath.Madrid back for him as well so hardly a disaster. Eduardo/Baptista were just League cup players who couldnt hack it in the league but didnt end up costing us anything except wages,

Francis Jeffers was unbelievably poor though, no doubt about that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant believe Sunderland paid 2m for Mannone either, would have expected a free transfer. The 'war-chest' now stands at 72m :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Anelka was a fantastic player for us and Wenger made a 22m profit on him within 2 years, a stunning amount for 1999, which was actually used to fund Henry and build our training ground. Davor Suker was always decent for us. Not sure you can blame a shirt number for Merson getting on the coke, beer and betting slips either. Reyes was actually decent for us too and contributed quite a bit to our unbeaten season as well as to an FA cup and our CL run in 2006. Good player he was but just couldnt settle long term. We got 10m from Ath.Madrid back for him as well so hardly a disaster. Eduardo/Baptista were just League cup players who couldnt hack it in the league but didnt end up costing us anything except wages,

Francis Jeffers was unbelievably poor though, no doubt about that.
    Don't get me wrong I don't actually think it's cursed haha, it's just strange as I can't think of any other number that has had so much bad luck to it. Yeah 22m doesn't seem like as lot today but there were very very few clubs in the world who could afford that amount on one player back then. I guess for Anelka it's disappointing as Wenger once said that if Anelka loved football the say way Henry loved football, he would have been as good as him. Attitude let him down, he had a good career but it could have been so much better.

I do have fond memories of Reyes - he wasn't exactly the best player in our team at that point but he linked up well with Henry and was clearly a talented player, very skilful in some games. Remember the Neville brothers kicking the **** out of him in the 0-2 :/ but needless to say, his career could have been better but I guess he just couldn't feel at home here in England.

It's quite good now when you think about all the ex-players ****ging off Wenger that Paul Merson very rarely criticises (he does sometimes, but doesn't shout about it in a disrespectful way like Stewart Robson) Wenger. He knows it was his own fault for losing focus ad that Wenger did the right thing.

The less said about Jeffers the better. Doesn't he play in the conference now?

ReputationRep:
    I do have fond memories of Reyes - he wasn't exactly the best player in our team at that point but he linked up well with Henry and was clearly a talented player, very skilful in some games. Remember the Neville brothers kicking the **** out of him in the 0-2 :/ but needless to say, his career could have been better but I guess he just couldn't feel at home here in England.

It's quite good now when you think about all the ex-players ****ging off Wenger that Paul Merson very rarely criticises (he does sometimes, but doesn't shout about it in a disrespectful way like Stewart Robson) Wenger. He knows it was his own fault for losing focus ad that Wenger did the right thing.

The less said about Jeffers the better. Doesn't he play in the conference now?
    Reyes' double on his debut vs Chelsea :coma: Couldnt make the most of his talent in England but he'd probably get a game for us now on his 2004-06 form so not a disaster.

Tbh, met Merson once and he really couldnt seem to give a **** about football or Arsenal, its just a living. He left for a 2nd division team because they offered him 10k extra and any guy who used to hit the Smithfield market pubs until 7am before getting a taxi to training is not a pro. He admitted himself in his autobiography that the reason he got so few England caps was because he was a liability, some carnage would always follow him...Saw him on SoccerSunday having a go at Wenger for not spending any money around 2010 and basically saying we were going nowhere. If someone spend 3 hours lecturing to him about the Emirates project being a short term sacrifice he still wouldnt get it. He's not the sharpest tool in the box, although he is absolutely hilarious. Merson + Parlour could do a comedy double act.

Stewart Robson is a nasty piece of work though. He needs to be barred from the Emirates.

Jeffers was released by an Aussie team at age 30 IIRC. Cant recall him playing for Everton but I have no idea why he was ever regarded as a top prospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    3 days into the window and the WOB is out in force calling for Wenger's head. Only the fickle gooners are crying about transfers. Sensible gooners know AW will get it done.
    I'm not calling for his head. I'm questioning his transfer policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I didn't mean you just the WOB in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    And your reason for questioning it, is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Jorge Higuain: "We have permission to negotiate & hope that soon I can complete my child's move to the Premier League."
    source http://www.marca.com/2013/07/03/futb...372873065.html

Since personal terms have been agreed a medical can take place soon

ReputationRep:
    Funny that people are saying Wenger does business late. I remember we signed players pretty damned early (Podolski) and pretty damn slyly and quickly (Cazorla) and yet people still complained later on in the transfer window that we weren't getting any extra players other than the main 3 who arrived last summer.

I'd rather us sign a player quickly and slyly like we did with Cazorla last year than the whole media knowing we're trying to sort out negotiations and Chelsea, realising the player is open to a move, throw more ££££ at him and sign him.

Look at our transfer targets anyway - Ancelotti (Higuain) and Martinez (Fellaini) have been in their job for less than a week. Do you HONESTLY think their first thought is "Quick!!! Sell the players! that must be the clubs immediate priority!", no, of course not.

Wenger isn't exactly going to say hmm, Sanogo was a good enough signing, that's Arsenal's business done for the summer. He's going to sign players. Shame on anyone who actually moans that we haven't signed a player when the transfer window has been open less than 100 hours.

ReputationRep:

Podolski's doing a decent job with the no9 shirt, and I don't see him going anywhere for a while so I doubt Higuain is getting that shirt. With Djourou going to Hamburg, Higuain will probably inherit his no20, which is the same number he technically still has at RM.

Damn, hope I haven't jinxed Podolski!

ReputationRep:
    Reyes' double on his debut vs Chelsea :coma: Couldnt make the most of his talent in England but he'd probably get a game for us now on his 2004-06 form so not a disaster.

Tbh, met Merson once and he really couldnt seem to give a **** about football or Arsenal, its just a living. He left for a 2nd division team because they offered him 10k extra and any guy who used to hit the Smithfield market pubs until 7am before getting a taxi to training is not a pro. He admitted himself in his autobiography that the reason he got so few England caps was because he was a liability, some carnage would always follow him...Saw him on SoccerSunday having a go at Wenger for not spending any money around 2010 and basically saying we were going nowhere. If someone spend 3 hours lecturing to him about the Emirates project being a short term sacrifice he still wouldnt get it. He's not the sharpest tool in the box, although he is absolutely hilarious. Merson + Parlour could do a comedy double act.

Stewart Robson is a nasty piece of work though. He needs to be barred from the Emirates.

Jeffers was released by an Aussie team at age 30 IIRC. Cant recall him playing for Everton but I have no idea why he was ever regarded as a top prospect.
    Like I said, Merse has criticised Wenger but in my eyes it's been nothing malicious - he's a 'pundit', so he could have exploited that like Robson has to gain more air time but he hasn't. Where did you meet him? :lol:

In all fairness, I don't know many Arsenal fans who have never in their lives not criticised Wenger for spending money. We know now that funds have been extremely limited for years but a few years ago like in 2010 it wasn't so clear that this was the case.

Tbh most English players don't exactly come across as intelligent in interviews though! It's obvious why he got the job on SSn - up for a laugh, doesn't really analyse anything much but still has a crack at it and just generally messes around and is a bit of a lad.

Parlour is funny though, such a likeable guy.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Higuain's travelling to London today. 27m Euros and 100k a week. Journalists claiming they spoke to Hig's father (also his agent).

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/m...ara-en-arsenal

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, Merse has criticised Wenger but in my eyes it's been nothing malicious - he's a 'pundit', so he could have exploited that like Robson has to gain more air time but he hasn't. Where did you meet him? :lol:
    Think it was the night of Reading game, Merson came into the George pub for an hour or so. He was there because some fella was sick and they invited him to present a check from a fundraiser or something but I forget. Either way, he was on the booze and had all the time in the world for everyone chatting nonsense to him. He had some hilarious stories about his time with Adams/Parlour etc. Best one was the time AFC were playing some two-bit Danish team over 2 legs. They absolutely hammered them away so he fancied a months wages bet on them not scoring at Highbury. Last minute 6-0 up, Adams hoofs it straight into the path of their center half. 6-1. Rest of the team went out on the piss to celebrate and Merse said he just sat there thinking about strangling Adams. Haha. He had literally dozens like that. Very nice fella.

Been quite lucky meeting ex-Arsenal over the years. Met Niall Quinn/Alan Smith on the first day of the season marching down the Holloway Road. Quinn especially had all the time in the world for the fans. Also met Bergkamp/Adams when I was very young.

Apparently Parlour owns a boozer down Essex way. If im in the area some time I might have a look in because you could listen to his stories for hours!

ReputationRep:
    Eduardo/Baptista were just League cup players who couldnt hack it in the league but didnt end up costing us anything except wages
    Really? I'd hardly call Eduardo just a league cup player, he was well on his way to being an integral part of our team that 07/08 (I think) season before his injury and our collapse from the top of the league. Agree with Baps though, was pants other than that game against Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zubby77)
    Really? I'd hardly call Eduardo just a league cup player, he was well on his way to being an integral part of our team that 07/08 (I think) season before his injury and our collapse from the top of the league. Agree with Baps though, was pants other than that game against Liverpool.
    Got slaughtered on here once for saying it, but I never got the fuss about Eduardo. People just seemed to take a liking to him and then convinced themselves that his injury prevented him from being a 20 goal a season striker. Check out his pre-injury EPL scoring record for a start. I remember him struggling in lots of games pre-injury. He was a good squad player for us, but injury seems to make players into giants in the eyes of fans.

Spurs have had a similar thing going on with darren anderton and reckoned he was the next Pele if not for his injuries. People feel sorry for the player and people really buy into those kind of narratives. I'm guilty of it too with Rosicky/Diaby who I probably overrate because of their injuries, I still think they are borderline world class without injuries.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Higuain's travelling to London today. 27m Euros and 100k a week. Journalists claiming they spoke to Hig's father (also his agent).

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/m...ara-en-arsenal
    It also says vermaelen's on 100k a week! :-/

Edit - and that higuain's contract will only be three years??

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.