Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We're through!!

It wasn't pretty and we should've put it to bed so much earlier but we're through.

Now we can relax and watch United
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not the best of games, but we're through. Draw is tomorrow at 12pm, no seed or country restrictions.

Looks like the Everton and Chelsea re-arranged games for us won't be in March.

On to Wembley now.

ReputationRep:
    Not a comfortable game but good performance. We created the chances which was encouraging but we need to learn to stick the ball into the net. City will take their chances so we really need to be clinical.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just en route back to Lime Street from the ground.

Augsburg were well organised and hard to break down - and, my god did their fans enjoy themselves. It was really tough at times for us, and had that free-kick gone in at the end, I'd have been livid.

The early goal set the tone - and it was lucky we got it. Sturridge let a couple of good chances go begging, but he and Coutinho were regular thorns in the side of the Augsburg defence. They reminded me a lot of a bottom-half PL side. Tough to break down for a Liverpool side.

Still, we're in the next round. That's all that matters. We go into Sunday with Sturridge and Coutinho only playing an hour, and Kolo Toure rested.

Coutinho got tired - noticeably so - and seemed to be making the wrong decisions, while Milner's set pieces leave a lot to be desired.

We rode our luck at points, but so did they. On the whole, we were noticeably the better team. I didn't see the handball for the penalty owing to me being sat in the Kop, but I take it was 50/50. Some say it was harsh, some say it was justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Just en route back to Lime Street from the ground.

Augsburg were well organised and hard to break down - and, my god did their fans enjoy themselves. It was really tough at times for us, and had that free-kick gone in at the end, I'd have been livid.

The early goal set the tone - and it was lucky we got it. Sturridge let a couple of good chances go begging, but he and Coutinho were regular thorns in the side of the Augsburg defence. They reminded me a lot of a bottom-half PL side. Tough to break down for a Liverpool side.

Still, we're in the next round. That's all that matters. We go into Sunday with Sturridge and Coutinho only playing an hour, and Kolo Toure rested.

Coutinho got tired - noticeably so - and seemed to be making the wrong decisions, while Milner's set pieces leave a lot to be desired.

We rode our luck at points, but so did they. On the whole, we were noticeably the better team. I didn't see the handball for the penalty owing to me being sat in the Kop, but I take it was 50/50. Some say it was harsh, some say it was justified.
    It was unlucky really, the defender had his hand raised because his team mate was kind of over him, wasn't really in a natural position so the ref had no choice but to give it.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on the City game?

Massive underdogs but if be surprised if we didn't score.
    City will likely win because of their experience and clear superiority all over the pitch but who knows?

We beat them 1-4 earlier this season so who says we can't do it again on a one off game?
    Don't expect to but it's a cup final...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    It was unlucky really, the defender had his hand raised because his team mate was kind of over him, wasn't really in a natural position so the ref had no choice but to give it.
    Yeah. Nobody in the crowd appealed for it - as far as I could tell, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Huge amount of misplaced passes tonight, hope they sort their **** out for Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    Not the ideal performance before a final but we're through to the next round which is the main thing.

Be interesting to see who we get tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Really hope we get United.
    They're so hyped after beating some unknowns so the shock when Sturridge rapes them would be tasty
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lucas seemed way off the pace tonight, as did Can. Hard to analyse performances given Sunday is obviously playing on everybody's minds, though.

ReputationRep:
    I want Dortmund, though happy with Bilbao or Anderlecht.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Really hope we get United.
    They're so hyped after beating some unknowns so the shock when Sturridge rapes them would be tasty
    reported for trivialising a serious crime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    reported for trivialising a serious crime
    Reported for being a *****boy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wouldn't mind a bigger team in the next round. You get a sense we struggled against Augsburg - especially in the aftermath of thumping Villa - because our players were expected to batter them in the first-leg and get it out of sight. We played with anxiety in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Would like Dortmund or Sevilla. Don't want United, can't take another inevitable defeat to them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    I want Dortmund, though happy with Bilbao or Anderlecht.
    Well if draws are fixed then Liverpool/Dortmund would be perfect in terms of big tie and ex-manager returning to his old club.

The last-16 line-up
    Athletic Bilbao (Spain)
    Anderlecht (Belgium)
    Basel (Switzerland )
    Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
    Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
    Braga (Portugal)
    Fenerbahce (Turkey)
    Lazio (Italy)
    Liverpool (England)
    Manchester United (England)
    Sevilla (Spain)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)
    Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    Tottenham (England)
    Valencia (Spain)
    Villarreal (Spain)

Wouldn't particularly say there are any easy teams in that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You'd imagine our best chances of progressing are Braga, and perhaps Sparta Prague, but that's a heck of an away trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    You'd imagine our best chances of progressing are Braga, and perhaps Sparta Prague, but that's a heck of an away trip.
    I guess we have to beat decent teams if we want to win the competition but our European co-efficient is pretty bad these days so we just need to progress as far as possible on a consistent basis. Down at rank 45 these days..

ReputationRep:
    what does YNWA mean?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.