Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    No but I will now Not big into football books but Soccernomics won me over.
    I'd go for thirty one nil by James montague - goes around the world with the minnow nations in the prequalifying for the World Cup. Some of the stories are fascinating (palestines first ever home match and the attempts of the afghan squad to gain an Israeli passport stamp so they'd not be allowed back into Afghanistan in particular)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    I'd go for thirty one nil by James montague - goes around the world with the minnow nations in the prequalifying for the World Cup. Some of the stories are fascinating (palestines first ever home match and the attempts of the afghan squad to gain an Israeli passport stamp so they'd not be allowed back into Afghanistan in particular)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got that for Christmas, as well as The Nowhere Men and Living On A Volcano.

Heard great things about a Robert Enke biography, too. Need to dig that out at some stage.

ReputationRep:
    It may be a long time ago, but if you have never read it, Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is worth a read. Especially the impact it had on sports writing.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any football league and below favourite moments of the year?

ReputationRep:
    Mowatt's goal against Huddersfield
    Mowatt's goal against Wolves
    Bournemouth going up in the penultimate game.
    Final day play off place scramble
    MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd
    "Sky TV, is ****ing ****"
    Brentford. Just Brentford.
    Floundering Fulham
    Chelsea 2-4 Bradford

Off the top of my head
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Mowatt's goal against Huddersfield
    Mowatt's goal against Wolves
    Bournemouth going up in the penultimate game.
    Final day play off place scramble
    MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd
    "Sky TV, is ****ing ****"
    Brentford. Just Brentford.
    Floundering Fulham
    Chelsea 2-4 Bradford

Off the top of my head
    While this was fantastic, it was actually back in 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    While this was fantastic, it was actually back in 2014.
    Jesus, where does the time go? :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I was just having a quick look at recent posts to see if there was any information I could use to make money (which is why I read posts-to me football knowledge that you can't profit from is superfluous) and I came across more than one post that was expressing surprise that the imminent 'demise'of a once proud/big club like Bolton Wanderers wasn't getting as much airtime as was deemed to be warrented.

Now I don't know the actual reason of course but I can tell you what I think it might be and certainly why I myself don't care (apart from how it affects my Championship relegation bets) about this.

Because Bolton almost certainly won't go out of existence that's why.Football clubs rarely do as you no doubt all know.

If that situation changes then it would presumably get more coverage.

Agree with the comments about the books that were recently mentioned although I read so many that I have only read parts of one of them but have read good things about the others.( Won't be reading the Enke one though.Lifes too short.)

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Wolves scoring against the run of play, I have a double on BTTS in this match then under 3 goals between QPR v Hull.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Watford throwing away what would have been their most prestigious bit of silverware in their history in the final minute of the season was hilarious to say the least

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    I was just having a quick look at recent posts to see if there was any information I could use to make money (which is why I read posts-to me football knowledge that you can't profit from is superfluous) and I came across more than one post that was expressing surprise that the imminent 'demise'of a once proud/big club like Bolton Wanderers wasn't getting as much airtime as was deemed to be warrented.

Now I don't know the actual reason of course but I can tell you what I think it might be and certainly why I myself don't care (apart from how it affects my Championship relegation bets) about this.

Because Bolton almost certainly won't go out of existence that's why.Football clubs rarely do as you no doubt all know.

If that situation changes then it would presumably get more coverage.

Agree with the comments about the books that were recently mentioned although I read so many that I have only read parts of one of them but have read good things about the others.( Won't be reading the Enke one though.Lifes too short.)

Cheers
    It's probably because clubs slide out of the public eye before going bust. I don't believe Bolton will liquify in the near future, but they're on a dangerous trajectory, look at the likes of Portsmouth & Coventry.

Clubs that I know of that went bust in recent memory are Chester City, Hereford, Rushden & Diamonds, Halifax Town & Scarborough who all experienced league football before their demise. Add Farsley Celtic to that too, but I don't think they ever climbed higher than the conference.

Wimbledon also, though their situation was an exceptional circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    Just about got a ticket for today's game at Crewe and suffice to say I am happy to have done so. After some unconvincing performances of late this brings us back into contention with style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Beating leeds at home
    And beating Chelsea and actually being at Stamford Bridge. Omg the biggest cup shock and I witnessed my team destroy the champions of Europe. What a day out that was !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a performance from Coventry yesterday, by the way. They've had some questionable results in recent weeks, too, but Armstrong really rose to the fore (on the day his loan extension was confirmed, no less!) and they seem to be getting back into their stride.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Horrible day for Shrewsbury beaten 7.1 by Chesterfield.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Great win for the Spireites that. Emphatic!

ReputationRep:
    The victories over Derby and Brighton mean that for the first time since our relegation, I really believe Boro will be promoted. It feels good to be sitting top of the Championship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Horrible day for Shrewsbury beaten 7.1 by Chesterfield.
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Great win for the Spireites that. Emphatic!
    Fantastic game and performance, whole team played brilliantly and Novak got his first career hat-trick. Danny Wilson having a great start to his time at Chesterfield, although worth noting that Shrewsbury were awful just like in the reverse fixture in August.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by joddcfc)
    Fantastic game and performance, whole team played brilliantly and Novak got his first career hat-trick. Danny Wilson having a great start to his time at Chesterfield, although worth noting that Shrewsbury were awful just like in the reverse fixture in August.
    For what it's worth, that was never a penalty! Felt bad for the dismissed Shrews player. You fully deserved the romping victory, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Just about got a ticket for today's game at Crewe and suffice to say I am happy to have done so. After some unconvincing performances of late this brings us back into contention with style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Mackay)
    What a performance from Coventry yesterday, by the way. They've had some questionable results in recent weeks, too, but Armstrong really rose to the fore (on the day his loan extension was confirmed, no less!) and they seem to be getting back into their stride.
    Brilliant win after some poor results, last weeks last minute equaliser was disappointing to concede.

Armstrong signing til the end of the season is huge, his hatrick (should have been 4!!) shows his quality. The midfield looks solid with Vincelot and Fleck.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.