Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a tremendous final match at the women's. In total Monica Puig has it deserved to win the gold medal: she had stronger nerves, played great balls to force Kerber to make errors and last but not least she had an enormous precision. She was just better, especially in the third set. I will give her that. Kudos to Puic! it was a great success for Kerber to get the silver medal nonetheless.

(Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I want Del Potro to win. He's come this far. Sad for Nadal but he has a gold already from the doubles match he played yesterday.
    I have just watched the last thirty minutes of the match. That was so exciting till the tie break brought about a decision. Del Potro has real chances against Murray after defeating Nadal and Djokovic before.

ReputationRep:
    After Del Potro took out Djokovic I really hoped it wouldn't be a flash in the pan performance so I'm happy he's been able to sustain his level and at the very least go away with a silver medal. With all the injuries Delpo's had and with who he's had to beat to get to the final I'll definitely be rooting for him against Murray. I have nothing against Murray and would support him against anyone but Djokovic but given the fact he's also already got gold from London, I really hope Delpo can get it.

Also thrilled for Puig that she pulled off the tennis tournament of her life to win not only the first Gold bur first Olympic medal for Puerto Rico, I hope this Gold can take her in to the next level because she's such a joy to watch when she puts it all together
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What an amazing bronze
    medal match! Nishikori deserved it but rafas fighting spirit never ceases to amaze me!

ReputationRep:
    Murray breaks and is then broken.

ReputationRep:
    Broke back, held, broke back.

Loving the drop shots but they both seem nervy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Such terrible umpiring there, challenged straight away

ReputationRep:
    Will be hard for Del Potro to come back from this. Big shame to think that basic incompetence from the umpire may have cost him the set.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic opening game.

ReputationRep:
    The way Murray dislocates his jaw every time he breaks serve. It is just repulsive to look at.

ReputationRep:
    What a match! I hate to say it because it's a cliche and it goes against everything sport is about but I don't think either deserved to lose. Quality from Murray and when you consider del Potro's last few years and this week he is phenomenal. He always was, and clearly still is, a man for the big matches. He may not always win them but he somehow gives everything in them even when it looks like he's about to keel over. Hopefully this can be the start of something great again for del Potro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    What a match! I hate to say it because it's a cliche and it goes against everything sport is about but I don't think either deserved to lose. Quality from Murray and when you consider del Potro's last few years and this week he is phenomenal. He always was, and clearly still is, a man for the big matches. He may not always win them but he somehow gives everything in them even when it looks like he's about to keel over. Hopefully this can be the start of something great again for del Potro.
    This confirms my view. If this really is the death of the big 3 finally and he stays fit, Del Potro will end 2017 as world number 1 and a 2 time grand slam champion at a minimum. The newbies are just so inferior compared to him.

ReputationRep:
    Nah djokovic and Murray will be dominating for the next few years to come still.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see del Potro get right back up there but I think world number one would be a bit too much. I don't think he is consistent enough for that. He's the kind of person who lives for the big occasions and produces it in the big matches but I always feel as though he could come undone in earlier rounds against lesser opponents.

I could see him winning a slam or two though if things go right. I agree, the new guys coming through aren't all that and del Potro is about to turn 28 but in terms of legs it will be a young 28 because of his injuries. The question is whether his wrists can hold up. My heart tells me that he can win a slam again but my head kind of tells me that he will be another Tommy Haas.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So, Murray did it and made history. Surely, it is bad in the view of Del Potro not being able to crown his great performances against Djovokic and Nadal with the gold medal, in the other hand the second gold medal in men's single in a row underlines that Murray is a top tenis player, currently the second best after Djovokic in my opinon.*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching Murray cilic tonight? And a prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro vs Theim in the 4th round should be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Del Potro vs Theim in the 4th round should be interesting.
    I still don't get the Thiem hype. Delpo should trash him relatively easily if he brings the form from the Olympics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk1324)
    I still don't get the Thiem hype. Delpo should trash him relatively easily if he brings the form from the Olympics.
    Fitness seems his main enemy if he's engaged in a long match again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Fitness seems his main enemy if he's engaged in a long match again.
    Thiem Is overrated, DJokovic seems to have a very difficult draw.... Murray will fancy his chances this year....

ReputationRep:
    If Murray doesn't win the US Open this year that would be a huge disappointment on his part, Djokovic isn't a lock to get to the final, Nadal is patchy, no Federer and Wawrinka has blown more cold than hot this season. This could be where Murray takes a huge step towards the number 1 ranking so should be an interesting fortnight

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.